From Chiang Rai To Korat (bangkok)

triffid

Need to get a ticket from Chiang Rai to Pak Chong. Options seem to be

1) bus to Korat/Pak Chong,

2) bus to Chiang Mai, then the overnight train to Bkk, and finally a bus to Pakchong,

3) plane to Bkk, and from there a bus to Pakchong.

The 3rd option seems best, and would appreciate any info on it (am not familiar with Chiang Rai airport/flights). Is there much saving in buying on internet or at the airport/travel agent in Chiang Rai? Is there much saving in buying 2 weeks in advance compared to 2 days in advance? Is there a convenient bus from Bkk airport to Bkk Morchit bus station?

Is there any reason I may be missing to prefer one of the other options?

I don't suppose there are flights to Korat?

One2go I took it, never agian it is always late, I waited two hours for my flight. Thai air is best. One time I took a bus to Pattaya, no Bkk AP no taxi it was long but take a night Vip or AC night bus and you can sleep through most of it. It will take you right where you want to go, and just kick back. I have traveled all over LOS by bus and find it relaxing and staying out of BKK airport is always a treat.

The AP bus at BKK you can just jump on it outside at a stand, it is about as fast as a taxi and it can take you to a bus station to Korat. If you are pressed for time go Thai air if not the night VIP bus is a smouth ride! Enjoy. Dave

2) bus to Chiang Mai, then the overnight train to Bkk, and finally a bus to Pakchong,

The 3rd option seems best, and would appreciate any info on it (am not familiar with Chiang Rai airport/flights). Is there much saving in buying on internet or at the airport/travel agent in Chiang Rai? Is there much saving in buying 2 weeks in advance compared to 2 days in advance? Is there a convenient bus from Bkk airport to Bkk Morchit bus station?

For long bus rides VIP buses are well worth the money. If you can get a direct over night VIP bus to Khorat, it will probably be the best bus obtion. Consider stopping in Phitsanulok instead, which is more on the way to Khorat - where CM is a bit in the wrong direction. Phitsanulok is 400 km from Chiang Rai and takes about 6 hours.

Have you considered driving?

For long bus rides VIP buses are well worth the money. If you can get a direct over night VIP bus to Khorat, it will probably be the best bus obtion. Consider stopping in Phitsanulok instead, which is more on the way to Khorat - where CM is a bit in the wrong direction. Phitsanulok is 400 km from Chiang Rai and takes about 6 hours.

Have you considered driving?

Am curious about these 'vip' busses - especially the overnight ones. How reclining are the seats? Is it feasible to actually get a night's sleep in one? Are the loos tolerable? Do they have a respectable safety record? If there was a 'sleeper' train train service with a comparable price in say 2nd class a/c would you still consider the vip bus?

As to driving, wouldn't this be far more expensive just on the petrol and obviously more tiring?

The seats do recline ok and one company even have a type of back massager built into the seat.

I cannot sleep in a bus not matter how comfortable it is so it really depends on the person.

The loos are basic but ok and as far as safety records are concerned, I don't know of any.

My wife would not travel on a Sombat tour bus if it was free, she says they have many accidents but that is hearsay.

No trains from Chiang Rai only Chiang Mai and yes it is cheaper to take the bus.