What Would You Do ?

Sunbelt Asia

My own feeling is let the law take its course. You should not call in favours to get them off, and there is little point in stamping on them harder, other than to ensure they cannot pay their way out and come after you in any way. Forgiveness is one thing, but reaping what you sew is another.

You owe them nothing; they will suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune - surely this is enough. Not giving names would suggest you are not dealing with the Bangkok farang elite, but more likely an overstayer or similar.

However, if you want another point of view, as a successful restuaranteur, you should view this as an opportunity. Opportunities never shout. They whisper.

You are a restuaranteur. They are good with lighting stuff. Listen to the power of the flame.

The options are:

- hire them as chefs in a flame broiling burger operation; perhaps a Burger King if you can persuade Bill H to let you have a franchise

- Korean BBQ 99b

- some sort of other fire related enterprise such as high temperature garbage incineration

I am curious as to why the massive kneejerk reaction here. Tough crowd.

As for reaping what you sew, I made a BEAUTIFUL flame retardent blouse; it would make a nice new Sandwich uniform;-)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then again we have the hang-em-all brigade and the jealous types jumping forward

I fail to see how jealousy could cause someone to have a "hang-em all" mindset about criminals? The "jealous types" are somehow jealous that they were unable to aspire to being a drunkard setting fires in restaurants?

However, if you want another point of view, as a successful restuaranteur, you should view this as an opportunity. Opportunities never shout. They whisper.

You are a restuaranteur. They are good with lighting stuff. Listen to the power of the flame.

The options are:

- hire them as chefs in a flame broiling burger operation; perhaps a Burger King if you can persuade Bill H to let you have a franchise

- Korean BBQ 99b

- some sort of other fire related enterprise such as high temperature garbage incineration

:o

Edited by dave111223

So OP was it a "prank" or a genuine arson attempt?

Really you should press charges or being Thailand do something that can persuade the culprits to desist ever again from doing the same.

Remember if they think they can get away with this it will be repeated.

I fail to see how jealousy could cause someone to have a "hang-em all" mindset about criminals? The "jealous types" are somehow jealous that they were unable to aspire to being a drunkard setting fires in restaurants?

I am not sure what I dislike more, the hippocritical 'they have broken the law so hit them as hard as you can' brigade or sloppy readers who then answer something completely NOT in the context of discussion.

Jealousy manifested itself quite easy to recognize --the discussion wnet over a whole page -- in people blaming the OP for having 18 restaurants, quite an outrageous statement. :o

Not to mention the OP is probably worried about TV consequences depending upon how he handles this. They have claimed to know him from TV and is probably wanting feedback on whether to give them concession for this and how its going to effect his name here if he does not.

I still say squeeze them for cash, perfeclty legal but just done a different way to what it is in the west where we politely call it a "fine"

If there not giving names there probably overstayers anyway.

>>Jealousy manifested itself quite easy to recognize --the discussion wnet over a whole page -- in people blaming the OP for having 18 restaurants, quite an outrageous statement. <<

Again no jealously on my part .Owning 18 restaurants is not the kind of thing i aspire to ,but to each their own .There is always the more greedy snout in the trough ,but i just stand back and let them get on with it . :o

What they need is some community service, such as cleaning the soi, garbage cleanup etc. Some work for the common good will impart that there are consequences to actions and teach responsibility.

maybe sunbelt will help them with the work permits.

Bit of a chip on your shoulder? :o

If you have a problem be a man and come out with it, not just these weak little snipes from the sidelines.

I posted a full story about this twice before and both times the post was deleted within a few mins, i also got a warning basicly saying sunbeltasia.com was beyond critisism on this website. :D

What they need is some community service, such as cleaning the soi, garbage cleanup etc. Some work for the common good will impart that there are consequences to actions and teach responsibility.

maybe sunbelt will help them with the work permits.

Bit of a chip on your shoulder? :o

If you have a problem be a man and come out with it, not just these weak little snipes from the sidelines.

I posted a full story about this twice before and both times the post was deleted within a few mins, i also got a warning basicly saying sunbeltasia.com was beyond critisism on this website. :D

and your post is deleted in

How can someone, especially a farang, be arrested and not be identified. or a Thai for that matter, this whole thing, arson, just a banner seems strange, where was the banner, on the street?

what a stupid question.

you have more to lose by pressing charges than you have to gain. i am very careful not to step on people's toes in this country.

True, Subway might get a revengeful 'wee up the door' when they least expect it. :o

haha. even if you press charges it probably wont result in anything other then you paying the cops and them paying the cops. drunk clowns, no damage, best to let it be.

We're I in the same position as Greg and didn't know the guys they would get a small fine, 20 k or something, that would be shared out to the staff in the subway outlet, the police and myself for the inconvenience. And they would be warned that next time they cause trouble in one of my businesses I would not be so charitable in the future. I think that's all that's needed. Slap on the wrist and lighten their pockets.

Prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

"The law" of what?

Public shaming, nearly as good as hanging. At least they will live to tell the tale.

And your personal motto read so nice:

"Bowing ones head and holding the palms of the hands together is a gesture of respect. It also serves to recognize that deep down we are all the same and are all capable of great things, even though we may disagree."

Ah, but maybe not then...

Disagreement and arson are different wouldn't you say?

If one of your friends or family were burned to death, or crippled....would you be turning the other cheek?

I've had both my arms burned in an accidental fire.....forgiveness was not heard in my screams.

Edited by pumpuiman

"The law" of what?

Public shaming, nearly as good as hanging. At least they will live to tell the tale.

"Bowing ones head and holding the palms of the hands together is a gesture of respect. It also serves to recognize that deep down we are all the same and are all capable of great things, even though we may disagree."

If one of your friends or family were burned to death, or crippled....would you be turning the other cheek?

I've had both my arms burned in an accidental fire.....forgiveness was not heard in my screams.

Would I be turning the other cheek? I never said I would.

But what enrages me is how people can take this incident and then ask for the police to be bribed a multiple of the initial damage so they are beaten up before deportation (as if deportation would not be already enough?) or even hanged -- jeeezus, some people here should get real, wishing somebody dead is not that far off from actually doing a criminal act of this magnitude, this is already well down the slope to the nuthouse.

So I would not think it is a good idea that the OP would go out of its way, money-wise or otherwise to make it harder for the culprits as they are already 'taken care off' by the police.

The incident sounded to me as if damage was minimal and potential for a real fire actually small (the OP talked initially of a prank gone wrong and a paper-poster having been burned, not that somebody firebombed his business); I actually would not think it humanly possible that somebody could get a Subway shop burning with a little cigarette lighter, as hard as one might try. There is not much besides a lot of ceramics, glass and steel; this is not a straw hut we are talking about.

The question was, should the OP press charges additionally to what the police might do anyway (if it is a criminal case he actually has little say in what the police further does).

If I were the OP I would ask the police, how they see the situation. Getting damages back is obvious, then I would moderate my response on what the boys in brown tell me.

Already he has handled exceptionally humane by asking for advise here as initial information indicated the culprits might be part of this community, reading a lot of the responses here the OP would get little of the same charity from most members here. :o

I see nobody saying they should be "hung high" as your hyperbole suggests. Just people who think that people should be responsible for their actions.

That would be post #7, sir:

Your wife is right on the money Greg. Hang the bastards. Arson ain't a misdemeanor.

Iwannateach likens them to mass-murderers with fireweapons, #12:

I'd give them no more slack than if they'd come in with a gun shooting around randomly- in fact, they'd probably have had more control over the gun than over a fire.

And so on...

A -----little----- bit out of proportion...?!

I see nobody saying they should be "hung high" as your hyperbole suggests. Just people who think that people should be responsible for their actions.

That would be post #7, sir:

Your wife is right on the money Greg. Hang the bastards. Arson ain't a misdemeanor.

:o

What would you do?

Get a call from my wife. Some clown started a fire at one of my restaurants in the Nana area this morning at 4 a.m. The police have him and his friend in jail and they claim to know me from the Thaivisa forum, Both have no passport and no name so no idea who he is. My wife wants to press charges. On one hand I know a prank like this could of gotten haywire very fast with people dieing,on the other hand it seems they were drunk and were laughing as they lit the display. My understanding is no big damage.

I would hope, friends of mine don't go around endangering lives of other people. Guess when he is no longer drunk, he'll tell his name, now its my name is " No name"

Then what do I do when he sings another tune.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

You must have a good heart. I can't believe your even asking this question - these idiots MUST pay a heavy price for this reckless act.

"The law" of what?

Would I be turning the other cheek? I never said I would.

But what enrages me is how people can take this incident and then ask for the police to be bribed a multiple of the initial damage so they are beaten up before deportation (as if deportation would not be already enough?) or even hanged -- jeeezus, some people here should get real, wishing somebody dead is not that far off from actually doing a criminal act of this magnitude, this is already well down the slope to the nuthouse.

So I would not think it is a good idea that the OP would go out of its way, money-wise or otherwise to make it harder for the culprits as they are already 'taken care off' by the police.

The incident sounded to me as if damage was minimal and potential for a real fire actually small (the OP talked initially of a prank gone wrong and a paper-poster having been burned, not that somebody firebombed his business); I actually would not think it humanly possible that somebody could get a Subway shop burning with a little cigarette lighter, as hard as one might try. There is not much besides a lot of ceramics, glass and steel; this is not a straw hut we are talking about.

The question was, should the OP press charges additionally to what the police might do anyway (if it is a criminal case he actually has little say in what the police further does).

If I were the OP I would ask the police, how they see the situation. Getting damages back is obvious, then I would moderate my response on what the boys in brown tell me.

Already he has handled exceptionally humane by asking for advise here as initial information indicated the culprits might be part of this community, reading a lot of the responses here the OP would get little of the same charity from most members here. :o

I don't understand your criticism of my first post. Passing out photos to your own restaurants, and those of your friends, informing them of the dangers involved in serving these thoughtless pricks.....doesn't seem out of line to me.

I worked in many clubs when I was younger, I was a bouncer for 10 years and have dealt with thousands of mostly happy and well behaved drunks. There are other types of personalities which are affected differently by alcohol. I have had many experiences with people who I always best described as "illogical" I would forgive all kinds of behavior...but never violence or destruction of property. Booze is not an excuse for these things. It's like a woman saying he only beats me when he's drunk......the guy is a prick...drunk or sober

Being "scratched" or "publicly shamed"as you put it....is not a rare occurrence. Many club and restaurant owners stick together to keep "bad drunks" out.

I remember one particular guy who liked tossing bottles high in the air....just to see who's head they would break on in the crowd...he visited the club many times and it took us a while to catch him in the act. He was scratched....and his name and description given throughout the city....rightfully so.

Paying a fine to the cops will not rehabilitate these guys.

They set a fire in a restaurant....do you think they were concerned with the flammability of the surrounding structures? You actually think setting fire to an area that you consider a low risk is not so bad?

THEY SET A FIRE IN A RESTAURANT!!!

Edited by pumpuiman

Hmm, guys that think fire is high comedy...

BeavisButthead-711924.jpg

Do you know these guys, by any chance?

Yeah, I know those dudes. It sounds like some jokesters torched the cardboard display out front of the Soi 7/1 Subway sandwich place. that sign listed the daily sandwich specials and was located to the left of the main sukhumvit entrance to the place in front of the store window. A street bar table is normally situated directly in front of that sign (sign sits on top step above sidewalk). The funny thing is that cops hang out in front of this Subway each and every night until 6am. I personally have sat close enough to that sign to touch it every night the past month. The sign spurs sales. I bought the special several times during the month and would not have if the sign wasn't there. The hooligans should pay restitution for the sign, lost sales and apologize.

PS: I'm heading over there right now for my nightly visit. If the sign is gone then I know that it was in fact what got torched. LOL

PS: I was there the morning of the incident but departed around 4am. I must have just missed it

Edited by Beavis and Butthead

people blaming the OP for having 18 restaurants, quite an outrageous statement. :o

I bet they really pizzed off with Ronald Macdonald. :D

One wonders if they can speak of Colonel Saunders without cursing. :D

Edited by cdnvic

Hmm, guys that think fire is high comedy...

BeavisButthead-711924.jpg

Do you know these guys, by any chance?

Yeah, I know those dudes. It sounds like some jokesters torched the cardboard display out front of the Soi 7/1 Subway sandwich place. that sign listed the daily sandwich specials and was located to the left of the main sukhumvit entrance to the place in front of the store window. A street bar table is normally situated directly in front of that sign (sign sits on top step above sidewalk). The funny thing is that cops hang out in front of this Subway each and every night until 6am. I personally have sat close enough to that sign to touch it every night the past month. The sign spurs sales. I bought the special several times during the month and would not have if the sign wasn't there. The hooligans should pay restitution for the sign, lost sales and apologize.

PS: I'm heading over there right now for my nightly visit. If the sign is gone then I know that it was in fact what got torched. LOL

PS: I was there the morning of the incident but departed around 4am. I must have just missed it

Wow you put so much thought it to this it's incredible. Here was me thinking this thread was just a little publicity stunt. What a cynic i must be. :o

Edited by Acquiesce

I sort of go with an earlier comment, what has it come to when a 'lawfirm' is asking advice about something like this, seems to me a bit of an own goal.

I thinking he's asking for some 'moral dilemma' reasons. I don't see one myself though.

Wonder if we get an update today, it must be settled by now?

I'm not buying the 'moral dilemma' sandwich, if I was told two of my friends were banged up under these circumstances, the very first thing I would do is visit the police station to check out the story and find out what was going on, certainly not get on a forum to ask what to do, something is not adding up.