What Would You Do ?

Sunbelt Asia

I sort of go with an earlier comment, what has it come to when a 'lawfirm' is asking advice about something like this, seems to me a bit of an own goal.

I thinking he's asking for some 'moral dilemma' reasons. I don't see one myself though.

Wonder if we get an update today, it must be settled by now?

I'm not buying the 'moral dilemma' sandwich, if I was told two of my friends were banged up under these circumstances, the very first thing I would do is visit the police station to check out the story and find out what was going on, certainly not get on a forum to ask what to do, something is not adding up.

i agree. he also seemed to drop the "18 restaurant" line out of the blue, I guess to drive in more business.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree. he also seemed to drop the "18 restaurant" line out of the blue, I guess to drive in more business.

not out of the blue, it was discussed quite at length in another thread pretty much in parallel to this (but with complete different line of argument).

When in doubt, instead of posting ignorantly, why not take half a minute and actually check on previous posts of the same OP. Often opens the eyes, but we are all much too busy to spend an extra 30 seconds, is it?

from the OP's post.......

both have no passports, well, I guess you dont have to worry about pressing charges, looks like there gonna be deported pretty quickly!!

They didn't have passports on them at the time. They do have passports though.

Got a PM from him last night, he'll be in today to update the thread.

Turns out I do know the guy and have for the last 5 years. Ironically, my wife helped him out at the Police Station 4 years ago when he had problems with his ex wife. He is a bar owner and should of known better. The police already know the name of the bar from the report.

I'm getting it from our staff it was not him that stated the fire but his friend. Also he may not be a Thaivisa member as he was kept saying my name and Thai visa. I thought when hearing it before on the phone, it was from thaivisa.com but I think now, after getting the whole story, he was pointing out he had a Thai visa to stay here. ( In fact its a multi entry visa) and he knew me. Thats why at that time, he felt they should not arrest him.

The friend whose name is Paul is on a 30 day tourist visa exemption stamp and been here since September 8th. Overstayed the last time he was here in March.

Only now do I know who they both are. Was busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to talk with the lawyer who went to the Police Station and must say I'm very surprised.

The other day after 6 hours, my wife said go ahead and release them. We'll figure out, if we will press charges later.

She is in Phi Phi for the day and can't reach her by phone but she'll be shocked as well when she hears..

The other day after 6 hours, my wife said go ahead and release them. We'll figure out, if we will press charges later.

Strange ways the law works when a member of the general public can order the release or further detention of people held by the police.

In most countries that depends on whether or not the injured party wishes to file a complain or not. In this case it appears they didn't so the end result is the guy walked.

Strange ways the law works when a member of the general public can order the release or further detention of people held by the police.

In most countries that depends on whether or not the injured party wishes to file a complain or not. In this case it appears they didn't so the end result is the guy walked.

Police held them for the 6 hours as they had no passport. At that time, the police said you want to file charges? As she is in Phuket as we are opening three stores, she said" We won't press charges now as I'm in Phuket but may do so later' Talked with her before she went to Phi Phi Island and before she knew who it was involved. Her thoughts at that time were " Lets not pursue it, 6 hours is enough time. Just hope they have learned a lesson" Wonder want her reaction will be now.