Australian Woman Killed, 4 Injured In 6 Vehicle Pile-up In Bangkok Underpass

Jai Dee

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But thats just it madjibs, real life is what goes on in Thailand. When savage road accidents occur bodies are born to the four winds in this way. The western media and movie machine may portray violence and death in a romantic light (most of the time) but it is what it is; Ugly and sobering.

This is not the cosy-toes home-country-padded lifestyle where everything is wrapped away from the molycoddled public.

Real life = self-preservation.

One of our teachers at school said: "If you go to the circus and watch a tight-rope walker walk the high-wire with/without safety net, part of you, deep down, will want him to fall."

We may not admit it, or even acknowledge it, but this is one reason everyone stops to morbidly look on at road accidents. It's mankinds curiousity about death and destruction bubbling to the surface. Death happens, or as one TV poster grimly put it, 'Nobody gets out alive.'

Stay cool out there on those roads!

Well then, they (the wreckless drivers) deserve all they get.

Whenever we (my Thai wife & I) we hear a skid and honking of horns, we hope for a crashing sound and blood and guts spread everywhere.

Sorry, but Thailand has hardened us. Even she (being a Thai) said that she wouldn't help or phone an ambulance for w*nkers in such conditions.

Som nam naa is her buzzword.

OK. Let the comments about us being heartless basta*ds roll from all you compassionate folks!!

Answers on a post card please.. What does the A in Big A stand for! :o

You truly are one, and if you are not trolling, you obviously not learnt anything at all about the Thai way of life.

If its true what you said about your wife, maybe she won't be too squeamish when it comes to seperating your blood and guts to get at your money!!! Sleep tight!

In 2005 over 43,000 people died on roads in USA, I suppose they were all Thai people as well.

per capita...Thailand has a MUCH MUCH higher motor vehicle accident ratethan the U.S.-just check out motor bike accidents here-accidents durring Songkarn (spelling that wrong) are worst than accident rates durring U.S. July 4th celebration. In the U.S. we drive defensively, in Thailand they drive offensively. Everything is done slow in Thailand, slow lifestlye (easy-going), the only thing they do fast is drive and they do that very badly. My wife likes to say that Thai men "lose their heart (Bhudda) when they drive".

Whenever we (my Thai wife & I) we hear a skid and honking of horns, we hope for a crashing sound and blood and guts spread everywhere.

Sorry, but Thailand has hardened us. Even she (being a Thai) said that she wouldn't help or phone an ambulance for w*nkers in such conditions.

OK. Let the comments about us being heartless basta*ds roll from all you compassionate folks!!

Did it ever occur to you that at least one of the parties involved might be totally innocent? Nice piece of work the pair of you are...NOT.

Of course, A (at least you know what you are)

Those reckless passengers in Taxi cabs and reckless innocent bystanders deserve all they get, huh. You both are well together. You'll deserve all you'll get.

My Son Scot worked at Fun Language with Mel. They were maybe going off to Singapore later next month with work. He said she was a diamond, a bubbly fun loving Girl, he is gutted. My heart goes out to her parents and her friends at Fun Language. I visit Thailand twice a year to visit our Son and the highway code (NOT) is scary, quite frightening for us foreigners but normal for Thai drivers. God Bless you Mel I would have liked to have met you. x

Edited by Chrissy13

Driving skills and ethics are a form of intelligence. Not to say that Thais are less intelligent, but where in the West you need to pass an extensive driving exam to get your liscence, here in Thailand every doughnut can get it. Consequently, the percentage of idiots on the road is higher than let's say Ireland or Holland. And it takes just one moron to create a carnage.

Yes. I wanted to hear what people would say about my comment. My son was killed by a drunk driver. Of course I don't want to see innocent by-standers killed, but a lot of drivers here are animals.

I'm sorry for your loss. Yet, to me it's not a good idea, to come up with posts like that when somebody just lost his/her life. Some people stated that they knew the victim, and for all we know, a family member might even be reading this forum. Imagine how bad that person feels about your little "experiment".

I've been driving cars and motorbikes myself for years here in Bangkok, I find it rather easy to get along. Traffic is so dense that hi speed is not very often possible anyway. And unlike us super-hero drivers with licenses thak took months to get, we change lanes within half a second because we see that in Formula 1, Thais tend to do all changes a lot more smoothly.

Yes. I wanted to hear what people would say about my comment. My son was killed by a drunk driver. Of course I don't want to see innocent by-standers killed, but a lot of drivers here are animals.

I'm sorry for your loss. Yet, to me it's not a good idea, to come up with posts like that when somebody just lost his/her life. Some people stated that they knew the victim, and for all we know, a family member might even be reading this forum. Imagine how bad that person feels about your little "experiment".

I've been driving cars and motorbikes myself for years here in Bangkok, I find it rather easy to get along. Traffic is so dense that hi speed is not very often possible anyway. And unlike us super-hero drivers with licenses thak took months to get, we change lanes within half a second because we see that in Formula 1, Thais tend to do all changes a lot more smoothly.

True. It was a rash and hot headed statement, but I feel bitter toward drivers who do not care about human lives. I apologise to anyone who was offended by my statement.

i drove a taxi in uk for 9 years ,but when in bkk would'nt dream of driving ,only take taxi's when i cant go by train or bus ,they drive with out regard

But thats just it madjibs, real life is what goes on in Thailand. When savage road accidents occur bodies are born to the four winds in this way. The western media and movie machine may portray violence and death in a romantic light (most of the time) but it is what it is; Ugly and sobering.

This is not the cosy-toes home-country-padded lifestyle where everything is wrapped away from the molycoddled public.

Real life = self-preservation.

One of our teachers at school said: "If you go to the circus and watch a tight-rope walker walk the high-wire with/without safety net, part of you, deep down, will want him to fall."

We may not admit it, or even acknowledge it, but this is one reason everyone stops to morbidly look on at road accidents. It's mankinds curiousity about death and destruction bubbling to the surface. Death happens, or as one TV poster grimly put it, 'Nobody gets out alive.'

Stay cool out there on those roads!

I don't think I've become quite as hardened or cynical as this poster, but I do have to agree with with some aspects brought out by him:

Namely, living in Thailand has brought death much closer to my consciousness. I've seen more death and human destruction in five years of living here than I saw in all my previous 5O+ years in my western home country. Further, I've had at least give close brushes with death, myself--again more than 50+ previous years.

Yes, ugly, and sobering.

And, I live much more carefully here--not in fear, but with a respectful caution, that I could easily be next if I do something stupid (or someone else does something stupid.) I try not to be stupid, and I try to stay away from stupid people. Not always possible, granted, especially on the highways. :D

That being said, I dispute one of your statements: "We may not admit it, or even acknowledge it, but this is one reason everyone stops to morbidly look on at road accidents."

I don't. I don't enjoy staring at others' pain and misfortune for my own entertainment. I can find better entertainment. Thank you. :o

Edited by toptuan

I knew a Burmese girl who was in Thailand illegally - working in a house of ill repute. As darling a lass as you could hope to find anywhere. A true gem. She made love with Christmas stockings on while humming tunes.

A short while later, she was gone, her and her friend on a motorbike - smacked by who-knows-who driving a truck that (surprise surprise) sped away.

The mamasang gave me some of her belongings as a momento, 'cause she knew the girl and I had something special.

Perhaps the TAT should change the motto of Thailand to: "Land Of Cut Corners"

i drove a taxi in uk for 9 years ,but when in bkk would'nt dream of driving ,only take taxi's when i cant go by train or bus ,they drive with out regard

I hear this a lot, but I don't understand it. How can anyone (outside of a really, really bad driver) think they are safer entrusting their lives to a taxi driver here rather than themselves? I know the following when I get behind the wheel here:

1. I have not just learned to drive within the last few months.

2. I am not high on ya-ba, drunk, or under the influence of any other drugs.

3. I am not in a hurry to get somewhere so I can catch another fare.

4. I have had plenty of sleep.

5. I value my life and the life of others and don't wish to take stupid risks.

6. I do not believe that a lucky charm will protect me.

7. My car has working seatbelts.

8. My car is in good condition.

9. .etc. & .etc.

While there are good taxi drivers here, it's a crap shoot. These are not the same professionals that you would find in London or Tokyo. You may get a good one, but you will also get drivers who are high, haven't slept, have a chip on their shoulder, drive like maniacs, and so on. You will also rarely find a working seatbelt in the rear of a taxi here.

There are reasons for using taxis here, but safety sure isn't one of them.

You could have the strictest traffic regulations here but as long as there's no policing on the roads, you would hardly notice any difference in driver behavior. Standing on the curb waving cars down is nowhere near actually patrolling the roads, it's rather comical. What Thai drivers lack is the sense of fear of getting caught, as you would in N. America, Europe, etc. if you intentionally did something wrong, they know they'll get away with it and don't care. The "Me, me, me" attitude has to be stopped.

If you can have budgets to build highways, then infrastructure should include patrol cars, especially with the high amount of traffic. Definitely neglected here, the few patrol cars we see are mostly used to transport high ranking officers.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Make getting caught breaking the traffic law very costly, with cancellation of driving license and car registration and even confiscation of vehicles for non-payment, then make it a jailable offence to drive without a license or registeration and you will see three things happen virtually overnight:

1. a rapid increase in government revenue (can be used to pay police a proper salary or to employ more police to enforce traffic law thus generating even more revenue)

2. a rapid increase in the prison population

3. a rapid decrease in the number of road deaths

None of the above is hard to do.

RIP young lady.

The stricter the driving offence punishments become, the more people will be willing to pay to go free and therefore the more tempting it will be to the policeman to accept the money. Its not as easy as you make out unfortionatly.

Exactly.

The whole mess points to and reflects directly the years of incompetent and corrupt police forces managing road traffic inadequately, as they please, when they feel like it. The high number of bad drivers are a product of this.

One example, the worst period of the year for accidents, Songkran, brings roadblocks everywhere, still nothing is done about road safety between roadblocks where most of the carnage happens. Nothing is learned year after year as you'll see again this year.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Bad drivers aside, I take issue with the general lack of safety provided by the car/truck itself. No crash tests on the Thai-made vehicles, no governing body, no MOT-like inspection, etc (I wouldn't call scraping numbers off the engine to make sure they match the body a safety test). For me personally, I buy only cars that pass European and North American safety tests, you never know who is gonna come out of nowhere and hit you.

Yes road-accident deaths here may be many, but consider the context: it's much easier to die when there are 4 people on a motorcycle rather than a 7-series, regardless of the skill/education/etc. of the drivers.

There are some truly bad drivers around, and Taxi drivers are some of the worst culprits. From experience this week, the soi that I live in is fairly quiet, however it didn't stop a Taxi driver running mrstoad and our daughter off the road by driving like an idiot up the soi the other evening. As they were only on a push bike which my daughter enjoys going on, the injuries were pretty minimal. mrs toad, a few cuts and bruises and 6 stitches in her arm, even luckier was that my 2 year old daughter did not have any injuries at all.

The taxi driver did not stop, even though he must have known what he had done. What a F#@*%#g T#$t. :o

Agreed the ineffective BIB are the root of the problem. But even if bribes disappeared a 400Bt fine will not do much to change people's driving habits. However, fines of 5,000Bt and up might have more effect.

The Police in Pattaya could have a field day extracting money from all the pissed up Farangs riding motorcycles and driving cars.

I would suggest that they are deported after being fined. Farangs should know better and do know better according to many Farangs on this board.

Makes me wonder why so many Farangs DO drink and drive, they are no better the The Thai guy that does, they also think they won't get caught and will just pay a few hundred baht if they do! :o

Edited by Maigo6

Agreed the ineffective BIB are the root of the problem. But even if bribes disappeared a 400Bt fine will not do much to change people's driving habits. However, fines of 5,000Bt and up might have more effect.

The Police in Pattaya could have a field day extracting money from all the pissed up Farangs riding motorcycles and driving cars.

I would suggest that they are deported after being fined. Farangs should know better and do know better according to many Farangs on this board.

Makes me wonder why so many Farangs DO drink and drive, they are no better the The Thai guy that does, they also think they won't get caught and will just pay a few hundred baht if they do! :o

Wherever anyone is in the world, drinking and driving kills, so I have no sympathy for anyone that gets caught doing it. they should have the book thrown at them. I also agree with what you are saying about the farangs in Pattaya, and it is no better in Phuket either, some of these tools, leave their brains at the airport.

• 1 year later...
So what about if it was a genuine accident? Do you still want to see blood and guts?

You sound like lovely people by the way.

There is no such thing as a 'Genuine' accident and accident in road collisions is a misnomer . It all comes down to competance in driving skills and maintaining a vehicle in roadworthy condition . Should all people drive within the confines of the law , applying the diligence that is required , after competant driving instuction , mishaps would be cut to a bare-bones minimum .

I was just reading, "At least 19 Dead In Bus Accident", on another thread. Seems like an especially horrible week on the Thai roadways. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of sad families and kids left behind.

I read a few years back that Thailand had the highest per-capita vehicle fatality rates in the world. I'm having difficulty locating these stats or any other updated statistics. Anyone have any decent information?

I was just reading, "At least 19 Dead In Bus Accident", on another thread. Seems like an especially horrible week on the Thai roadways. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of sad families and kids left behind.

I read a few years back that Thailand had the highest per-capita vehicle fatality rates in the world. I'm having difficulty locating these stats or any other updated statistics. Anyone have any decent information?

Bus crashes are unfortunately a regular occurance in Thailand. This thread, however, is about an accident that happened 2 years ago.

The numbers of dead and injured are trotted out every December and during Songkran. No doubt available on some government web site.

Typical much pride no shame reply that we come to expect.