Som O

sceadugenga

I used to eat quite a lot of grapefruit (and drink grapefruit juice) but they appear to be impossible to get (at least in Isaan). I find pomelos a reasonable substitute after leaving to 'marinate' in lemon juice for an hour.

Yes I eat a lot of them.

post-123-1190350764_thumb.jpg

Edited by jayenram
Picture added

When is the best season ?

Does it help lower your blood pressure

:o Wiley Coyote

The season in the north seemed to have started about 3 weeks ago, it's available all year in the supermarkets but we buy in the local market which usually has it for three or four months.

I've never heard of any fruit lowering blood pressure, that seems to be more about lifestyle or medication.

if ye got high blood pressure and are taking medication like atelonol any grapefruit like fruit is contra-indicated...or so someone tole me...there was a popular fad diet about 25 years ago based upon the consumption of large quantities of grapefruit...

Could you put that in simpler terms Toots? Preferably in words of one syllable.

if ye got high blood pressure and are taking medication like atelonol any grapefruit like fruit is contra-indicated...or so someone tole me...there was a popular fad diet about 25 years ago based upon the consumption of large quantities of grapefruit...

Me too,I was just looking up the dictionary for "contra-indications " trying to remember the context ,when I saw sceadugenga's posting

Thank You

:o Wiley

Me too,I was just looking up the dictionary for "contra-indications " trying to remember the context ,when I saw sceadugenga's posting

Thank You

:o Wiley

my understanding of the term contra-indicated refers to substances/items that should not be ingested when taking a particular medication...and I believe that this applies to grapefruit when taking atenolol which is prescribed for high blood pressure...

oh, Sheryl...please help :D

Are there any other Som O (Pomelo) fans here? I love it and eat at least half a one every day. I'm starting to convince myself it has weight losing properties, it certainly gets the system working. :o

I love it and could live on it.

However, I have this strange idea that it maybe isn't totally good for me. I smashed up my hip and pelvis in an accident a few years ago and sometimes the area gets painful - though my annual check-ups don't reveal any signs of arthritis. But by a process of deduction (which, I admit, could well be faulty) I have come to the conclusion that the acid from the fruit could be causing inflammation.

I'd have to admit that I have looked at a lot of medical stuff on the net and haven't seen much to support my theory. But when I cut down on my intake things improve after a day or two. Then after a bit I get greedy again and next morning I'm back to being in agony!

The "contra-indicated " with grapefruit is the Simvastatin - the effect is to reduce the rate that the drug is metabolized by the body, some people mix grapefruit with a low dose simvastatin to get a boost effect thus stretch a 25mg pill for example.

Cyclosporine, itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole, posaconazole, erythromycin, clarithromycin, nefazodone, and grapefruit juice (>1 quart/day): may increase risk of myopathy with lovastatin or simvastatin co-administration.

Ref. here.

Edited by Cuban

my understanding of the term contra-indicated refers to substances/items that should not be ingested when taking a particular medication...and I believe that this applies to grapefruit when taking atenolol which is prescribed for high blood pressure...

oh, Sheryl...please help :o

You've got it absolutely right. My dad cannot eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice because of his high blood pressure meds. Tutsi is obviously alot more edumacated than he is leading us to believe :D

oh, Sheryl...please help :o

You've got it absolutely right. My dad cannot eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice because of his high blood pressure meds. Tutsi is obviously alot more edumacated than he is leading us to believe :D

yeah...I ain't just a pretty face :D

I used to eat quite a lot of grapefruit (and drink grapefruit juice) but they appear to be impossible to get (at least in Isaan). I find pomelos a reasonable substitute after leaving to 'marinate' in lemon juice for an hour.

Yes I eat a lot of them.

I've never noticed grapefruits anywhere in Thailand. My Wife had never tried them until she came to the UK and they are the only fruit she doesn't like; none of her Thai friends over here like them either.

Though I like grapefruit, I much prefer pomelos though they are quite expensive in the UK; £2.85 for a Thai one. I've seen Chinese varieties cheaper but they are full of seeds & don't taste as good. I've seen Israeli ones in Tesco which are OK but much smaller and very awkward to prepare - my Wife doesn't like me buying them because of this.