Would You Use The Meter Taxi... If They Used The Meter

Boater

Would you use metered taxi's if they used the meter??  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have voted yes.

In my education in marked-theory I learned that if the price of something gets to high, the demand for this will slow and even stop and so will the income. If the price is lowered the demands will increase and the same will happen to the earnings.

By living in Thailand for a while I have learned the Thai marked-theory. If the price is to high nobody will by and I will not earn some money. If I lower the price then somebody like to by my product, and i will make some money. It is better for me to set a high price and have no income than let the costumers (farang) buy cheaper and I will have some, but maybe small income of money.

This applies to taxis and transport, property, renting houses etc.etc. Of course we,as farang disagrees, but there is nothing we can do about it, but shake our heads, smile and accept the Thai-way of thinking.

just curious why some people are voting no?

I voted no. First night on the island was quoted 300 baht for a fare which became 2000baht at destination. It was a fair distance and the guy didn't know where it was when he quoted. I left my friend to argue it as I was about to blow, I had to leave. Friend paid 1000 baht as he had no change. Will never get in another cab on the island even if it was free. Surprisingly, I have found them considerate drivers when met on the roads away from their prowling territory, but I hate the thieving...

Regarding the "arrests": ever thought about that the samui-express editor got some phone calls ?

Can imagine that he might be offered an arrest on 109 charges ... just jokin'... :o

regarding the ridiculous situation with the cabs: DO NOT USE 'EM! full stop!

But keep on stoking the coles - don't let the fire cool down!

There might be a change possible, if it's kept under (local) lid - nothing will happen but if it makes it's rounds all way up to the TAT there might be a chance of a change - after all the odds are in favor of the cabbies to use the meters - after all they hurt themselves...

Imagine for 50 baht anywhere around in the Chaweng area, anytime of the day or night, they would be roaring!

Just recently comin back by ferry from a trip to surat, my pick up was too busy to come - so I decided to go for a Cab - 500-400 NO way.... made me think if it makes them somewhat feel Suerior if they can charge those 'money-spiked' farangs a mint for a inferior service - they would go ballistic if it would happen to them!

But then I found a Song Theaw driver who even invited me to stay with him in the front... a bit later this guy with a monk shows up the guy didn't know what to do.. cuase the monks "rihgt" is to sit "first class" in the fornt.. so i jumped out and looked for another one - besides the guy who accompanied the monk was rude, demanding...

It was light rain as well - couldn't find a cab... i bit later this Song Teaw driver honked and insisted to come with im, o.k. lacking any choice I jumped in the back... one lady...was the 3rd passenger, tha monk on a free ride, he got off in Mae Nam... the Driver invited me to come back to sit with im in the front again... nice I thought.. He excused himself that I had to ake place for the monk and agreed that it was not nice from the monk to insist that he sits alone... as I wasn't a female....he shook his head..we started to talk and picked up some more 4 customers, Japaneses tourists... it turned out that he didn't had to make the Nathon-Chaweng run on cost only... he made some money after all. he was happy in the end dropping me off at my destination he insisted to have transported me for free, he didn't wanted to take the 50 Baht!!!!

I felt really sorry that I didn't have my Camera with me - guys like him MUST be promoted - because that is as rare as finding a black Pearl in an Oyster!

I got his phone number though... he insisted that we are FRIENDS!

It's not all jungle out there!

I think they'd find they had a lot more customers if they stopped taking the pi** and thought about the bigger which is that now, that even people who have never visited the island before have been warned and know not to use the meter taxi's. I have no problem with people making a living and not all Samui taxi drivers are 'bad people' but it's definitely in their best interests to sort it out.

I see a lot of empty taxi's these days and I know I for one would definitely start using them again for things like airport runs, ferry drops etc. if I at least wasn't going to get stung every time.

um, how many *more* customers do you need when 2 trips a day nets you 1000 baht? when all you have to do is make sure you meet the incoming flights four times a day to make 2k?

why would anyone in their right mind happily revert to sub 120 Baht Nathon to Chaweang fares when they make almost 3 times that driving from the airport to fisherman's village?

They will always see it this way, just like the scammers in bangkok who sit outside the hotels waiting for a sucker. they will wait three days to scam five hundred baht rather than work 1 day to make it honestly.

ironically you can rent a jeep for a day for the cost of a trip to the airport and back.

So what about the Samui Express story? True or not? I remember the curios TV member "SamuiExpress" or "SEX". Maybe he can give us some background info about 109 taxi drivers being arrested...

must not be true as taxi's are still driving without there meters on :o

Today I talked with one typical cab driver, here short english version:

"Why you dont open meter?"

"Cannot"

"Why not?"

"Low season"

"Why Taxis can open meter in Phuket?"

"Phuket is a big town, Samui is small"

"How much you pay for police?"

"Nothing"

and so on. Every answer with an arrogant attitude like "You stupid farang have no idea".

I dont despise people without brain, I dont despise arrogant people but I hate to meet this two characters together in one stupid a..hole.

Was waiting for a songtheaw to get for 20 Baht from north Lamai to central Lamai. In former years I simply walked - but there are too many construction trucks on the road nowadays.... Several taxis horned during my waiting time but I shook the head and none of them stopped. If they stop I'll tell them that I'll only get in when they use the meter...., might have a similar "discussion".

Was waiting for a songtheaw to get for 20 Baht from north Lamai to central Lamai. In former years I simply walked - but there are too many construction trucks on the road nowadays.... Several taxis horned during my waiting time but I shook the head and none of them stopped. If they stop I'll tell them that I'll only get in when they use the meter...., might have a similar "discussion".

waiting for one to turn on the meter might take a while ,maybe you could write a book while you're waiting .

Today I talked with one typical cab driver, here short english version:

"Why you dont open meter?"

"Cannot"

"Why not?"

"Low season"

"Why Taxis can open meter in Phuket?"

"Phuket is a big town, Samui is small"

"How much you pay for police?"

"Nothing"

and so on. Every answer with an arrogant attitude like "You stupid farang have no idea".

I dont despise people without brain, I dont despise arrogant people but I hate to meet this two characters together in one stupid a..hole.

yeah."People with no brain" would be a good descripton of samui taxidrivers.

I heard yesterday they have like a "rolling system" where some part of bangkok police move around to different provinces.If that is true it would explain samui-express article since the "new cops" probably wont be on the "payroll".

Anyway, louds of questions on the thread.

For instans: "um, how many *more* customers do you need when 2 trips a day nets you 1000 baht? when all you have to do is make sure you meet the incoming flights four times a day to make 2k?"

Well: why did i pay 52 % income-tax when i was in Sweden??

Why do the rest of Thai taxis run on meter??

We r idiots??

Partly true, but main thing is something called "law".

Its about to be followed and the more people that follow it the better the society work. Offcourse the individual sometimes make more money not following it. Whats new with that??

If the whole country did not follow this law we could say something is wrong with the law.

The samui-drivers decided to make more money on their taxi-jobs than the rest of the country. I have 2 think it is pretty serious since tourists come here after going elsewhere in Thailand and do not understand why all of a sudden they pay up to sometimes 5 times as much for a taxi-ride.

It does not matter how the taxi-drivers see it. What matters is the law of Thailand, it is about to be followed for samui-drivers aswell as the rest of the country.

Sure, even in Bangkok you would get drivers refusing to put on meter. But in Samui you can not find a single driver that put on a meter, and this has to be changed

For tourism, and even for the drivers themselves, even if they are to stupid to understand it.

Songtaeow drivers are the same sh..theads.

Just went from Chaweng back to Nathon with my three mixed kids (9/4/3 yrs). The dark skinned egghead wants 50 Baht each, 200 Baht together!! Normal fare is 50 Bahts adult and 10 Baht for children. He even shouted at me, this motherf....er. I finally paid 100 Baht together because didnt want have trouble while my kids are waiting and tired.

Earing a living with farang scaming and be proud of it!

I heard yesterday they have like a "rolling system" where some part of bangkok police move around to different provinces.If that is true it would explain samui-express article since the "new cops" probably wont be on the "payroll".

Someone is telling fairy tales!

None, nothing changed - the "powers to be" are still the same - specially the local coppers... it's so lucrative they won't leave - no way! And it's a pyramid system everybody gets a chunk of the cake!

So why would anyone be interested in changing it - thai are not effected - they still pay their fare - it's "only" farangs - we got all ENOUGH money anyway - so what?!

But as I said there are some saints out there as well - they are not all monsters! and then who conditioned them in the first place if we wouldn't be here - they probably would still be harvesting coconuts instead!

Edited by Samuian

um, how many *more* customers do you need when 2 trips a day nets you 1000 baht? when all you have to do is make sure you meet the incoming flights four times a day to make 2k?

why would anyone in their right mind happily revert to sub 120 Baht Nathon to Chaweang fares when they make almost 3 times that driving from the airport to fisherman's village?

There are absolutely no problem at the airport. Bangkok Airways partner will take you anyware anytime for 150 bath, just buy the ticket in the terminal.

The problem is on the opposite direction, every hotel will charge what they missed on the arrival, that is double, 300-400 bath.....next time i'll use samuishuttle.com......

-m

There are absolutely no problem at the airport. Bangkok Airways partner will take you anyware anytime for 150 bath, just buy the ticket in the terminal.

The problem is on the opposite direction, every hotel will charge what they missed on the arrival, that is double, 300-400 bath.....next time i'll use samuishuttle.com......

-m

Is that the truth?

When i used to stay in hotels and resorts (2 years ago) in samui they always had free airport transfer. Both ways. I see alot of these hotel-minivans at the airport still but could never dream they charge 300-400 baht for a trip.

Sounds horrible. Even the hotels are working against tourism.

The thing you mension about Bangkok airways partner is also something i never even seen or heard about, must be something new, but that is good news.

And there it is again, all these side-buisnesses coming up for hotels,airline companys et. This is all traffic that could, and should, be the yellow cabdrivers, if they didnt missbehaive. In the long run they are the big loosers here, but off course they think shortly.

-m

Is that the truth?

When i used to stay in hotels and resorts (2 years ago) in samui they always had free airport transfer. Both ways. I see alot of these hotel-minivans at the airport still but could never dream they charge 300-400 baht for a trip.

Sounds horrible. Even the hotels are working against tourism.

The thing you mension about Bangkok airways partner is also something i never even seen or heard about, must be something new, but that is good news.

And there it is again, all these side-buisnesses coming up for hotels,airline companys et. This is all traffic that could, and should, be the yellow cabdrivers, if they didnt missbehaive. In the long run they are the big loosers here, but off course they think shortly.

Well it used to be normal to have a free pickup on lot's of places....I don't remember any free service in Samui but the first time I stayed here was 2000.

The airport service is very good, you buy a 150 bath ticket in the terminal and if you are lucky to be on a van with at least another passenger you go immediately... Anyway if the next airplane has no people they will leave also for 1 person. I discovered it is a company owned by BKK Airways when trying to find out if they will assure me that the van will be there also after the last flight! They said yes, i'll see. At that time the taxis can ask me whatever they want :o

After the report in the Samui express that 109 Taxi drivers where arrested for not using thier meters ( this will probably do nothing to stop them over charging again ect ect ) and that they will HAVE to use there meters, i thought i would see how many people would actually use the taxi's if they used the meter ( Same as BKK ) then present to Samui express.

Thanks

Thanks to all those voting so far!!