Is The Fino Just Another Pretty Face?

Samuikitten

Hi Everyone

I am really hoping there is a motorbike savy person on here that will give me some advice....

I have lived in Thailand (Koh Samui) for almost a year now & have had my eye on the Yamaha Fino since I first saw it. I held off buying a motorbike until I was sure that I was staying here (I have been renting). Now that I am staying, it's time to buy the bike...I still love the Fino, but will I be happy with it?

I have heard that it isn't good for 2 people, it has no storage space & it only goes up to 60kms comfortably & then starts to feel unstable. On the positive side, I have heard that the carb is good, engine runs well & the transmission is excellent.

It's very hard to find anything about the bike in English. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :o

Its a good little scooter.

A full B45,000 worth.

Cheers

I borrowed one the other day from someone and I was amazed just how poorly it seemed to be made. All that chrome that gleams from a distance (brake levers etc) are tacky plastic, also it didn't seem to have much power.

I too thought they looked OK in a quirky kind of a way, but after riding briefly I can safely say I would never buy one.

I advise any potential purchasers to take one for a quick scoot round the block first.

Cheers

Like others, I have been impressed with the looks of the Fino, but really have no need for another small bike... I have been told that they are the same as the Mio, but with just body parts change... Owned a Mio as my small bike for almost two years, and was pleasantly surprised by both the ride and power... I could ride it with both my wife and self, and stably up to 90 kph... Some told me that the auto transmission was not good when I first purchased it, but the same people are now saying that it is very good...

Pianoman

Have never ridden a Fino. It shares the running gear with a Mio, which I think is a great little bike. Have done 120kmh (recorded on the clocks which are wildly optomistic) 2-up, downhill of course, and can lock the back wheel and slide it sideways at speed. Also 2-up. Unless they have made some serious mistakes I can't see a change of bodywork and handlebars making it unstable above 60kmh. As for storage space and seating for 2? That's for you to decide. I sincerely hope the brake levers are not made of plastic.

I also live on Samui, hence owning a Mio myself. Anything else is pointless. Hire one out for a day, there are plenty around. Feel free to pm me if you would like a second opinion, I wouldn't mind a quick ride on one myself

Hi Everyone

I am really hoping there is a motorbike savy person on here that will give me some advice....

I have lived in Thailand (Koh Samui) for almost a year now & have had my eye on the Yamaha Fino since I first saw it. I held off buying a motorbike until I was sure that I was staying here (I have been renting). Now that I am staying, it's time to buy the bike...I still love the Fino, but will I be happy with it?

I have heard that it isn't good for 2 people, it has no storage space & it only goes up to 60kms comfortably & then starts to feel unstable. On the positive side, I have heard that the carb is good, engine runs well & the transmission is excellent.

It's very hard to find anything about the bike in English. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :o

FWIW my wife has one. I drive it occasionally and handles quite well. I have taken it up to 100kms without any problems and rides very stable at that speed (never taken it past that but registers 120 on the speedometer). It's also power enough that I've out run every step through motor bike I've encountered. Only issue, hardly any storage space. Space under the seat is about 9" X 7" & 6 " deep. We ended up buying a box-like storage container that mounts on the rear of the seat. Now it takes away from the looks of the bike, but safe for carrying groceries and stuff. Oh yeah, it's an automatic & electric start.

I have the Fino's bigger brother, the Yamaha Nouvo. Bought my girlfriend a nice bright red Fino. I'm repeating myself from a former post but here goes. The Fino has tremendous looks, but that's obvious. It is a Mio in another skin.....we already know that. The Fino has a manual choke, very little storage under the seat (so my girlfriend prefers taking my Nouvo to do the grocery shopping. However, we have had a hook installed just in front of the driver's knees to add to storage capacity from hanging plastic bags from the bike. Nouvo has good storage underneath the seat. And an automatic choke. Nouvo has substantually larger wheels and tires than the Fino so it's going to be more stable at speed. The bikes have the same 115 c.c. engines but my Nouvo seems to accelerate much more strongly. And it's a little heavier. The Nouvo has a huge very comfortable seat that is going to put the seats of many highway cruisers to shame. The Fino's seat is not bad but no match for the fabulous seat of the Nouvo.

But my girlfriend's Fino is utterly charming to drive. And we do travel on it two up no problem but I weigh 76 kilos and my gf weighs just 43 kilos. Nouvo is obiously better for two up. Her bike's engine is very smooth and the brakes for some reason are smoother and more effective than those on my Nouvo. The Fino is 40,000 baht whereas Nouvos now are 49,000 baht. In closing the Nouvo is worth the extra money as it is all around a more practical bike. But I see much to like about the Fino and in Pattaya it's going to be a fine bike. As others have advised you, rent a Fino for a day, and if you can't find a Fino to rent try a Mio and base your decision on whether to buy the Fino or not on how well you like the Mio. Then rent the Nouvo for a day. Each drives very well for what it is.

I have the Fino's bigger brother, the Yamaha Nouvo. Bought my girlfriend a nice bright red Fino. I'm repeating myself from a former post but here goes. The Fino has tremendous looks, but that's obvious. It is a Mio in another skin.....we already know that. The Fino has a manual choke, very little storage under the seat (so my girlfriend prefers taking my Nouvo to do the grocery shopping. However, we have had a hook installed just in front of the driver's knees to add to storage capacity from hanging plastic bags from the bike. Nouvo has good storage underneath the seat. And an automatic choke. Nouvo has substantually larger wheels and tires than the Fino so it's going to be more stable at speed. The bikes have the same 115 c.c. engines but my Nouvo seems to accelerate much more strongly. And it's a little heavier. The Nouvo has a huge very comfortable seat that is going to put the seats of many highway cruisers to shame. The Fino's seat is not bad but no match for the fabulous seat of the Nouvo.

But my girlfriend's Fino is utterly charming to drive. And we do travel on it two up no problem but I weigh 76 kilos and my gf weighs just 43 kilos. Nouvo is obiously better for two up. Her bike's engine is very smooth and the brakes for some reason are smoother and more effective than those on my Nouvo. The Fino is 40,000 baht whereas Nouvos now are 49,000 baht. In closing the Nouvo is worth the extra money as it is all around a more practical bike. But I see much to like about the Fino and in Pattaya it's going to be a fine bike. As others have advised you, rent a Fino for a day, and if you can't find a Fino to rent try a Mio and base your decision on whether to buy the Fino or not on how well you like the Mio. Then rent the Nouvo for a day. Each drives very well for what it is.

Helpful & informative post.

Am very interested in the hook for the shopping bags. Did the Yamaha dealer do it for you? Is it easily, harmlessly done - or a necessarily ugly modification? Would like to do that myself when I get the bike for my girlfriend.

Hi everyone...

Thanks so much for the advice. I took the Fino for a spin today & wasn't happy with it. Having said that, I also test drove the Honda Airblade. They have two things in common that I just don't want & that's the fact that they are automatic. I feel that the standards handle better & I feel in better control. Maybe this is due to the fact that back home I own a Kawasaki ZX9?! It has taken a year for me to get used to driving the 'Thai Motorbikes' & I guess if I can't have my Kawi here, I will have to settle for a small standard.

I know, I could have bought a CBR, but I think it has a bit too much power for the island (that's just my opinion). I ended up buying a Honda Wave 250 i, not quite what I was after, but it's a nice little bike (in the burnt orange with white rally rims).

Again, thanks for the advice...I guess each to his/her own

Hi everyone...

Thanks so much for the advice. I took the Fino for a spin today & wasn't happy with it. Having said that, I also test drove the Honda Airblade. They have two things in common that I just don't want & that's the fact that they are automatic. I feel that the standards handle better & I feel in better control. Maybe this is due to the fact that back home I own a Kawasaki ZX9?! It has taken a year for me to get used to driving the 'Thai Motorbikes' & I guess if I can't have my Kawi here, I will have to settle for a small standard.

I know, I could have bought a CBR, but I think it has a bit too much power for the island (that's just my opinion). I ended up buying a Honda Wave 250 i, not quite what I was after, but it's a nice little bike (in the burnt orange with white rally rims).

Again, thanks for the advice...I guess each to his/her own

they do honda wave 250's ???

What I meant is there is no such thing as a 250 cc. Wave.

Lotus Eater-----Sorry not to have answered your question. The hook for the Yamaha Fino was installed quite easily for around five bucks by the dealership and it does not detract one iota from the bike's appearance. In fact it looks like the bike came with it.

For those interested I've been taking a poll in another forum with the subject being, "What bike to you prefer for all around Pattaya use?" Here are the results so far.

Yamaha Nouvo------------------------------------8 votes

Honda Air Blade-----------------------------------5 votes

Honda Wave------------------ -------------------4 votes

Yamaha or other equivalent to the Honda Wave----0 votes

Honda 200 cc. Phantom---------------------------2 votes

Honda 150 cc. CBR--------------------------------1 vote

400 CC. 1990 vintage Honda CBL-------------------1 votes

Honda Steed or similar bike 600 cc's or above-------2 votes

An expensive Harley Davidson----------------------8 votes

Honda Click, Yamaha Fino or Mio--------------------1 vote

Lotus Eater-----Sorry not to have answered your question. The hook for the Yamaha Fino was installed quite easily for around five bucks by the dealership and it does not detract one iota from the bike's appearance. In fact it looks like the bike came with it.

Thanks.

Coincidentally I saw only today 3 fino s displayed for sale in Carrefour (Chiang Mai) all of which had a hook installed. Looked fine - possibly the same thing you had done for your fino.

Well it all comes down to economics; Thais arent wealthy and need small bikes, hence Mio/Fino value engineered to a price. Thais are always fashion consious so Fino restyled Mio with a fashion angle to create a craze. Reality is that they aren't great bikes. If you want a tough long lasting bike get a Honda Wave or something of that ilk (the injection one is good by various accounts). Practical wise a Wave with that long seat and gears will be long lasting and more economical that a plasticy auto scooter (which is what they are).