Student visa/work permit

In 6 months time I plan on moving into Thailand to both take a course for my TEFL certification and also to enroll into college. I was wondering what the best idea would be for me as far as visas go. The TEFL course offers to help secure a 1 year permit but I am not sure exactly how that works. Is there anyway I will be able to stay without the need for visa runs? The site is very informative but doesnt speak of students. There has been information about teaching without a degree and that people "get away" with it but I do plan on getting my degree while in Thailnd, more for myself as much as for the job. Also, if I was able to teach with only a TEFL during my schooling would I have to leave country to get my work permit/Non-B?

This forum is very informative and thank you in advance for your help!

Joshua

Also, if I can stay in Thailand under a student visa for 3 consecutive years and then prove the ability to work would I be able to apply for residency.

"1. Holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a Non-Immigrant visa and the individual has been permitted to stay in Thailand for at least 3 consecutive years on a 1-year visa extension basis up to the application submission date.

2. Has personal qualifications that meet one or more of the following categories:

2) Working/ Business category "

This is all under the idea that I can stay on a student visa until my schooling is over.

Thanks again.

Don't know if you read any of the info on the Teaching English in Thailand thread that I posted, but I have been informed by some of the members that TEFL International is not what their web site claims. I have been told that the certificate they issue is only good in Thailand, though their website claims otherwise. Also told that they push you toward the crappy jobs!!! You may want to keep your options open especially since it sounds like you are going to go for an online Bachelors "degree" or something to that effect. Whatever you decide, good luck.

:cool:

I also have another quick point to consider. Although I'm not certain, and the experts will have to verify, I doubt if you can legally work on the student visa as that would cut the government out of some fees. If you can, then that opens up a whole new ballgame.

:cool:

Hey, thanks for the help so far.

The TEFL is not through TEFL International but through Text-And-Talk[www.tefl-teach-thai.com] and if you know anything good or bad about this group please inform me!

As for the Degree I am enrolling into a University in Thailand, I am not doing anything with an online degree.

As for the Visa should I contact the Thai Consulate in my area and find out if I can work on a student visa? I will need/want to be working while I am there.

Also, are there any monetary restrictions for work visas, will I need a minimum amount of money to stay in the country while I look for a job?

Thanks Again.

Hi Joshua,

As I said earlier I do NOT KNOW the answers to

your Situation.

But - in the absence of other replies

- I would guess that there will be a Problem

mixing Studying and Working - legally.

I cannot imagine a Student Visa holder being

given a Work Permit.

If you need to work to Finance your degree Course

- MAYBE - you need to get your Teaching Qualification

then a job and a work permit first - then join a Degree Course

with the Job being at hours different to those of Classes.

This site does have details of requirements for Different Visas

- including Student Visas - click on "HOME - ThaiVisa.com" -

at the top of the page.

I THINK - that Residence after 3 years only applies to O Visas

- I would not expect it to apply to Student Visas

- but again - I do not KNOW.

I am sure others will have a better knowledge of your situation

than me ...

Roger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know of people on student visa's being able to work at all. Raise the question with the school direct. Some countries allow limited work for students eg Australia permits 20 hours per week. Other countries permit none, and I am pretty sure Thailand is in the none class.

About those TEFL certificates...

It doesn't really matter what company they come from... they'll do you no good outside of Thailand. I have yet to run into a school outside of Thailand that cares at all about TEFLs.

And from what I've heard of Text-and-Talk, I wouldn't bother. In fact, I wouldn't bother with any of the language companies here (ECC, EF, ILC, Siam). Most of them seem to have their own TEFL programs... and everyone I've talked to think they're just rubbish.

Well, I would like to know what people have heard about the various programs that are in Thailand?

Without having a TEFL TEOSL I will not have any type of credentials nor any experiance teaching outside of just helping friends. Who has said that these programs are rubbish?

I just want to be a really good teacher for the people. I always hear about stupid foreigners going in their just to make money for boozing and Go Go Bars and thats just ridiculous. Its too bad so many people of ill merit go into working with children! I want to teach because I have a sincere desire to help others. It seems bad because I do not have a degree and I am only going to have a TEFL but I plan on trying my hardest at being a good teacher for them. My motivation is in teaching the children, not funding horrible habits, which thankfully, I do not have.

There are better ways to becoming a teacher then a TEFL crash course and being a native english speaker but it is the best I can do for now. I come from a lower-middle class backround so it is too expensive for me to enter college here and I am not going to bury myself in loans.

Anyway, I am unsure of why I am ranting, maybe I am just a little frustrated.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Joshua