Signing A Mortgage For Wife

I am in a strange situation, I currently live in TL as a student and my legal (seperated) wife who is Thai lives in England. She is in the process of buying a property in BKK and requires me to sign the mortgage. I need to know at what potential risk this puts me in. I do not want anything to do with the house, but I do want to help her. What could happen if she lost her job and started defaulting on payments? She seems to think the bank would reposses the house and not be interested in me, but I am not so sure.

Thanks in advance.

I am in a strange situation, I currently live in TL as a student and my legal (seperated) wife who is Thai lives in England. She is in the process of buying a property in BKK and requires me to sign the mortgage. I need to know at what potential risk this puts me in. I do not want anything to do with the house, but I do want to help her. What could happen if she lost her job and started defaulting on payments? She seems to think the bank would reposses the house and not be interested in me, but I am not so sure.

Thanks in advance.

A quote from the 70s by john mcenroe needed here ,.YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS !.do nothing of the sort,1/ i suspect its a scam /2 of course you will be held liable ,.you had better get a story ready along the lines of sorry darling i wont qualify ,.or better .nothing personal but you may possibly see a side of your spouse you havent seen before if/when you refuse to help,. but my opinion is stand your ground,. Edited by mikethevigoman

There is a declaration of "no interest" which farang husbands must sign if their wives purchase property. It simply means that you have no financial connection to the ownership of the land. In and of itelf it will not make you responsible for the payments...but on the other hand it will firmly establish you as the husband and whatever laws there are concerning the finances of spouses will point directly at you (which they would anyway....maybe you should finalize a divorce!!! or at least find out what financial obligations you might have due to your lingering marriage.)

There is no need for you to sign the mortgage. If your wife can afford it in her own name she can get in her own name. The only reason you would need to sign the mortgage is if you are guaranteeing it.

There might possibly be other documents you "need" to sign, but not the mortgage. The "declaration of interest" in some circumstances is one such document. But you would sign this whether paying cash or by loan/mortgage. It is not dependent on the mortgage.

Seems like you want to be helpful. So I'd suggest before signing anything, you get a certified translation in English, to understand exactly what you are signing, and why. If you still don't understand it, get a lawyer or someone providing the mortgage (i.e independent third person) to explain it to you.