Show Me Your Watch!

thaigerd

Normal automatic watches stop after 2 to 5 days when not worn and battery watches have a tendency to be empty at the worst possible moment.

That's why I got myself a Seiko Kinetic, which uses the "automatic" rewinding mechanism to recharge a battery. The clever thing is that the watch stops moving the hands when not worn and thus saves energy. This gives it an autonomy of up to 6 months. My son loves to see the hands move around high speed to display the current time when I take the watch out of the shelve and put it on.

In addition it has a "perpetual calender", displaying the correct date at all times (February 28 or 29, and 30 or 31 days in a month etc).

My other watch is a Breguet :o

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't worn a watch since I retired. I don't care what time it is or even what day it is. I do check monthly to make sure my pension check has been direct deposited into my US bank account. I do that with my Nokia phone. It always knows what time and day it is.
Thats funny gary, but you are right really, i see people ( myself included ) looking at their watch and il bet if you asked them the time they would have to look again, we wear them out of habit really or as a piece of jewellry,.i have another friend like you ,he tossed his watch when he came to thailand, he is never on time for anything and he has aquired the nickname of ,the late tony cruden !

Your right there Mike, I have never gone for a "status" watch as I've not had too many watches down the years but have never had to replace a watch because it was broken or lost time etc. Usually I replace because of the visual condition. Force of habit makes me wear a watch & on the rare occasion I forget to put it on I feel "undressed" without it & plays on my mind all day.

I haven't worn a watch since I retired.

All this talk about watches reminds me of an incident at primary school, a friend of mine was running around the playground with his left sleeve rolled up showing off a new watch, knowing that it wasn't his birthday we asked how he came by such a gift. This was in the fifties very few kids wore watches. He swore us to secrecy and told us he stumbled in on his parents late at night while they were making love. His father told him he was to say nothing and bought him the watch. Jim a friend of mine thought he'd do the same, sure enough late one night he heard his parents lovemaking and walked into the room, "what do you want his father bellowed" "I wanna watch said Jim." His father replied "Ok but be quiet" :o

Watches for many on these boards are just silly little adornments that have a minimal function in telling time but far more closely function as a symbol of marking oneself as a member of the Leisure class, sort of like those silly neckties that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer does not engage in physical labor. The continued allure of fancy watches in a time when cheap quartz watches are more accurate, also demonstrates that Thorstein Veblen remains the greatest American economist of all time. :o

I can't disagree with most of that. I bought a gold Rolex GMT Master about 20 years ago when I got my Chief Mate license. As a timepiece it's awful and if you don't wear it for a few days you have to rest everything. Still it did have one useful function I hadn't expected. Even before I came to Thailand, I was a shorts. t-shirt, flip flop dresser. Often times I could see people I'd conduct business with look at me, look at the watch, and then do what I wanted them to do. I don't think they'd have dome it otherwise. So, due to the utter shallowness of most people, the watch has long since paid for itself. I hardly wear it anymore and I'm just waitig for my nephew to become old enough, so I can pass it on to him.

Get yourself a Casio G-Shock. They're good enough to be certified by NASA for spaceflights so they should last a while down here :D

funny you should say that...the G-Shocks i bought in the USA were tough as nails and took whatever beating you threw at them. however, i have had nothing but problems with the G-shocks i have bought in SE Asia. i have bought them at reputable stores (Central, airport duty free shops so assume they are legit models and not cheap knock-offs). they seem to break down after a year or so and the o-rings seems o wear out very quickly. several have had condensation problems on the insides after a little while. :o

i have an omega seamaster 2254.50 (black dial/sword hands) one of the most handsome watches to date. i love automatic watches and respect the precision. its really a marvel. never lost money and only gained from my watch buys. it is the only material possession that i have any 'feeling' for - well, maybe my 20000 song ipod :-)

fave brands: iwc and un

watch lusts (current): iwc 3717 carbon dial, un maxi marine on braclet. ive always like the look of the iwc 3706 and un big date (blk dial/arab#) - discont. i want to sell my watch and upgrade if i dont go to philippines, if i do then ill dig out the multi timezone gshock i have at home. either way, ill dump the watch i cant have it sitting around in a safe going unworn.

swiss watches rock!!

a watch says a great deal about a person.

timezone.com

if anyone needs to know a plce for service pm me (its in bkk in mbk)

Edited by h5n1

Get yourself a Casio G-Shock. They're good enough to be certified by NASA for spaceflights so they should last a while down here :D

funny you should say that...the G-Shocks i bought in the USA were tough as nails and took whatever beating you threw at them. however, i have had nothing but problems with the G-shocks i have bought in SE Asia. i have bought them at reputable stores (Central, airport duty free shops so assume they are legit models and not cheap knock-offs). they seem to break down after a year or so and the o-rings seems o wear out very quickly. several have had condensation problems on the insides after a little while. :o

Yes, degradation in southeast asian countries can be much faster than other areas due to saltwater affecting the seals on certian models and certain brands. Not all watches are affected by seawater quickly, but any $1000 watch or more should require dealer maintaince from time to time for replacement of these seals and any other issues you may come upon. I personally like this thread as I have a new love and it is watches... Yes, some of them are replicas, but you'll never know which ones are the replicas. My wife's dad owns a high end watch shop and she remarks on the Citizen Kinetic. Me, I love the fancy stuff. Brietling will be my next watch when I hit BKK in December. Can't wait. Yeah, that and the islands, 58 days and counting. cheers. max. :D

I wear a genuine Rolex, they sell them at any corner stall at insanely cheap prices, I assume they're over-stocked. :o

Yeap, nothing like a genuine, genuine replica that is,

Who cares my Rolex is spelled with two x's, keeps great time, :D

Most reliable watch I ever had was a beach road snide Rolex. Lasted about eight years until the pins between the strap and case rusted through. Couldn't poke out the remains so we had to part company. :D

I broke down and bought a top name watch once. I thought that it would last me a lifetime. It broke just as quickly as any other watch and then you were supposed to send it off to someplace special so no one would steal the innards.

Will never make that mistake again! :o

My wife bought a Citizen self winding watch. She doesn't often wear a watch so whenever she gets it out of the drawer she has to reset everything. She hates it. I think it will be in the drawer forever.

I have a cheap old Timex battery powered watch that I never wear. She has been using it whenever she needs a watch. The battery is at least 5 years old and I'm sure it will die any day now. None of the shops we have been in has a battery to fit it. I was at one mall in Bangkok about a year ago that had the correct battery. The guy in the watch shop pressed the light button and told my wife that when it needs a new battery the time display will go off when the light button is pushed. He didn't replace it. The time display now goes off when the light button is pushed.

Don't wear a watch since years but just starting to look around to find one.

Any ideas?

Gerd

I have had my Omega Seamaster for 11 years now and it's as good as new. Highly recommended.

Got to agree - I have one too and it keeps excellent time and the bracelet is a good fit.

I wear a Rolex Submariner most days now but that because I always aimed to have one as my father lost his in a car crash in the later 50's

Then I always promised myself a Patek Philippe and I was lucky enough to be able to buy one earlier this year. Worn it 4 times only but I know its there. It was the money for a house in Thailand but me and the ex broke up :o

The Seamaster is my favourite though for sentimental reasons - she was the one that got away!

Watches for many on these boards are just silly little adornments that have a minimal function in telling time but far more closely function as a symbol of marking oneself as a member of the Leisure class, sort of like those silly neckties that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer does not engage in physical labor. The continued allure of fancy watches in a time when cheap quartz watches are more accurate, also demonstrates that Thorstein Veblen remains the greatest American economist of all time. :o

I can't disagree with most of that. I bought a gold Rolex GMT Master about 20 years ago when I got my Chief Mate license. As a timepiece it's awful and if you don't wear it for a few days you have to rest everything. Still it did have one useful function I hadn't expected. Even before I came to Thailand, I was a shorts. t-shirt, flip flop dresser. Often times I could see people I'd conduct business with look at me, look at the watch, and then do what I wanted them to do. I don't think they'd have dome it otherwise. So, due to the utter shallowness of most people, the watch has long since paid for itself. I hardly wear it anymore and I'm just waitig for my nephew to become old enough, so I can pass it on to him.

Good one - look at the Chinese - shorts and vest with their gold Oyster Perpetual.

Shallow I know but in Singapore I notice they look at the watch more than anywhere else I have ever been - any other jewellery should not be on a man (except wedding band) or be hidden.

Any ideas?

Gerd

Check out this patek philippe on ebay.com,. $750.000 ! beautiful

180165818749rtCurve.gif

Is it real?

Genuinely I know someone looking for one but he will not buy mine.

Mine is for sale for 30,000 USD as well but I am not actively selling it - it sits in my safe doing bugger all.

Any ideas?

Gerd

I have had my Omega Seamaster for 11 years now and it's as good as new. Highly recommended.

Got to agree - I have one too and it keeps excellent time and the bracelet is a good fit.

I wear a Rolex Submariner most days now but that because I always aimed to have one as my father lost his in a car crash in the later 50's

Then I always promised myself a Patek Philippe and I was lucky enough to be able to buy one earlier this year. Worn it 4 times only but I know its there. It was the money for a house in Thailand but me and the ex broke up :o

The Seamaster is my favourite though for sentimental reasons - she was the one that got away!

take a look at this patek on ebay.com !

180165818749rtCurve.gif

Can't go wrong with a Seiko for reliability and accuracy....If your not in to impressing the neighbors, and are looking for a long lasting durable watch...thats the way to go.

I'm currently wearing some stainless steel swiss diving number I got as a gift from my dad...but my Seiko of 15 years is still running fine.

I have owned several high end watches over the years and the best by a long way and the only one i still have is a zenith el primero rainbow flyback. Keeps great time and in my opinion looks great.

As for people complaining about there watches stopping when they don't where them for a few days, buy yourself a watch winder, can be bought quite cheaply and will ensure your watch is always ready to wear.

Very surprised about that many replies but it looks like most replies are coming from male members :o

After reading all your interesting replies I got hungry for "my" BOSS watch.......

Drove to Jungceylon Shopping Center in Patong where I've seen that watch on a big poster behind many other Boss watches.

The 2 "sales ladies" sitting behind the counter and eating I was the only customer. After 10 minutes they were able to get up(but I had to ask a couple of times) and I could show them my watch.

They looked around the whole place and their answer was:

"No haeb"

Gerd

Very surprised about that many replies but it looks like most replies are coming from male members :o

After reading all your interesting replies I got hungry for "my" BOSS watch.......

Drove to Jungceylon Shopping Center in Patong where I've seen that watch on a big poster behind many other Boss watches.

The 2 "sales ladies" sitting behind the counter and eating I was the only customer. After 10 minutes they were able to get up(but I had to ask a couple of times) and I could show them my watch.

They looked around the whole place and their answer was:

"No haeb"

Gerd

what model is it you saw ?