What Is The Recorded Message On The Travelator Saying?

whimsy

As you come to the end of the travelators to and from the gates at Suvarabhumi there is a recorded female voice playing over and over. I assume it is a warning to take care getting off. A bit like the 'mind the gap' on the London Tube. I've listened carefully many times, but I can't work out what she is actually saying. Not even sure if it is English or Thai. Has anyone worked it out?

Edited by whimsy

In Thai it is "end of walk way, end of walk way" or something along those lines.

The English is something along the same lines, but, with terrible pronunciation.

On this front, am a big fan of the crisp English accented announcements that you get on the tube.

This is hilarious. I've been in so many times and I make it a game to try and understand what is being said in either Thai or English. I agree with Samran, but the English is absolutely unintelligible, and the Thai is a mystery. I should add that my Thai is only passable, but I can usually understand most everything except this stupid walkway announcement. Anyway, this provides great fun after a flight and yet another thing to talk about this airport.

This is hilarious. I've been in so many times and I make it a game to try and understand what is being said in either Thai or English. I agree with Samran, but the English is absolutely unintelligible, and the Thai is a mystery. I should add that my Thai is only passable, but I can usually understand most everything except this stupid walkway announcement. Anyway, this provides great fun after a flight and yet another thing to talk about this airport.

Thank God its not me ...I have the same comment the words are intelligable ..I put it down to impending senility ,loss of certain frequencies in the hearing range ,so just kept quiet about it ...But I suppose it wakes you up and stimulates the mind to come out of the dream you are in examining the "beauty of the new airport " and see the end of the walkway . So it has done its job !

Has there been any accident yet? Think of all these tired travellers with trolleys loaded with luggage and with kids sitting on top, innocently standing on the horizontal escalators (the supposedly trolley-friendly ones) and NOT being able to understand the warning that the belt is coming to an end. It's a disaster waiting to happen!

And where is Weho when you need him?

it is "step off the walk"

Yes! I think you are right. As far as I remember, it sounds something like 'dep ob de war', so 'step off the walk' is probably it.

Like one of the earlier posters said, this is just something that I have amused myself with by trying to understand it while on the long journey to and from the gate. D###, now I'll have to think of a new game. :o

Yes! I think you are right. As far as I remember, it sounds something like 'dep ob de war', so 'step off the walk' is probably it.

Like one of the earlier posters said, this is just something that I have amused myself with by trying to understand it while on the long journey to and from the gate. D###, now I'll have to think of a new game. :D

I know I'm right because I know the TellieTubbies personally and they told me this is what they said when they recorded the message :o

Like one of the earlier posters said, this is just something that I have amused myself with by trying to understand it while on the long journey to and from the gate. D###, now I'll have to think of a new game. :D

Don't spoil my fun yet! Step off the walk is a good guess, but I have to admit the only word I think I got was "walk..." maybe. Now for the Thai, I also can't make out any of that, and I swear it sounds like she's saying see-sip (40) something, though of course that makes no sense.

Anybody got the Thai, in Thai?

* BTW, I didn't know that moving walkway was called a "travelator." Learn something new every day. :o

Keep repeating to yourself "steh o' da wok" tam see-sip da dee dee.

Edited by keemapoot

The actual literal translation is

"Mind the Scams, Watch out for lady boys, Spend your money, if you can wisely. Have a good time. Chok Dii"

The Thai translation for this, is "Mind your step."

Disclaimer: anything I've posted here is actually property of Thaivisa.com hence I may not be held responsable for any inaccuracies... :o

Edited by kayo

Well, do you want us to spoil it or not?

The English is definitely "Aind of the walk". I hear it twice a month.

The Thai is "rawang ___ soot thang ____" - rawang is careful, soot thang is end of the way/road/path/walk/whatever.

The second word I am not entirely certain of, sounds like "seen", and the last I believe is "lurk" (choose) but could equally be "durn" (walk).

The Thai translation for this, is "Mind your step."

Speaking of which, this is exactly what they say in Schiphol, but in a sing-song kind of way.

Edited by onethailand

Airport authorities announced today that they are considering replacing the travelator recorded message with a musical one. They are preparing a short list of songs. Favoured choices so far are:

Walk is over..... if you want it (John Lennon)

It's the end of the walk as we know it (R.E.M)

Just keep walking (INXS)

:D:o

OH whimsy i am so frustrated with you! As soon as i read your Thread title ..that ###### message started looping in my head "End of the walk. End of the walk"!!!!!

It IS "End of the Walk" that she is saying..and no thanks to you..its now on continuous play in my head!!! :o

naw.... it's "Ain't toff de gawd" .. which is Africaans for turn about and walk backwards; you obviously missed the small news clipping in BKK Post which reported that the travelators for the new airport had been destined for S Africa before being intercepted and being entered into a batter deal for 20000 Thai chickens (not counting th ones destined for Austria....)

OK.. I know... I'm goin

OH whimsy i am so frustrated with you! As soon as i read your Thread title ..that ###### message started looping in my head "End of the walk. End of the walk"!!!!!

It IS "End of the Walk" that she is saying..and no thanks to you..its now on continuous play in my head!!! :D

:o

Me too... almost like a nightmare!

Sounds like End of Wok to me.. Really amateurish that they got someone with poor English to record it.

Sadly, this is all too common - you wouldn't believe how many poorly-written ads I've seen... it's okay to spend billions of dollars on an airport but go cheap on paying a few thousand baht to pay a native English speaker to say 4 words...

Are you sure it doesn't say...

"please have your passport, incoming passenger card filled out correctly and your boarding pass ready for our immigration officers at passport control, Thank you and enjoy your stay in Thailand"

?