Eva Airlines Snap Review

JonnieB

I recently took a flight on EVA Air from Bangkok to San Francisco return. It was my first time on this airline. My prior experience on this run has been on economy Northwest and United and business Cathay, Korean, and Northwest. I had heard many good things about it from friends over the years and finally had occasion to try it. My friends were particularly impressed with the value proposition of their economy deluxe service, however, for this flight, I had a business class ticket. I don't know how EVA does it but their business class ticket prices are half or better than the prices of just about any competing carrier. Either the others are making a really fat profit margin or EVA is underpricing their service...I don't know which?

Here are my impressions:

Flight Details:

Booked online for a price of B77,000 (not including a 5% discount for using my Mastercard). Everything other airline was at least B150,000-B180,000 for this run. Again, don't know why the big price differential with EVA. The EVA business lounge at Suwanapom airport is comfortable enough. There is a small variety of hot and cold entres and plenty of stuff to drink. It is very large and spacious, with comfortable lounge chairs and tables for working, with large windows and nice views of the airport for plane-spotters. Not too many freebie reads, however, except some local newspapers. There is free wifi and also desktop terminals available. The flight leaving was delayed 2 hours...so just relaxed an extra couple hours in the lounge.

The plane from BKK-TAI was a new B777-200 or 300. The seats were the fully-reclining cubicle style ones and quite comfortable. Service was friendly and professional, however, the attendants certainly don't stack-up in the "babe" department like Singapore or Thai. No comments on inflight entertainment because I always catch up on my reading or watch/listen to my notebook during flights. Very comfy slippers and duvet provided. I chose western food selections (when booking) and the portions were small and rather bland...garlic bread was good, however, but they ran out by the time I asked for more :o My comments on EVA's food (goes for all legs of the trip) is that it is pretty mediocre. I don't expect much from re-heated airline meals (though I have had some decent food on airlines) but EVA's fare was definitely the worst I have had on any business flight. It wasn't so much as inedible but was just lacking in any overall taste. The espressos were good, however, and some of the desserts were nice. Overall, I would say to chow down in the lounges or airport cafes before an EVA flight if you are at all finikey about your food. That way you won't be at the mercy of their caterer during the flight.

This my also my first stop-over in Taipei and the airport there. The layover was only for 2.5 hours and I was glad for that. The airport has a very utilitarian late 1960s feels to it (I don't know when it was built) but it definitely is past it's prime. I would think with all the other new airports around asia that have opened over the past decade, Taiwan would want their own showplace airport too...does anyone know if they are working on a new one? I would say after Manila, this is the most basic airport I have seen in Asia (granted I have have not been to the all...but to most (the main exception being Jakarta). Now don't get me wrong, there is still a large gap between MNL and Taipei but there is an equally large gap between Taipei and Changi, KUL, HKG, and even new Suwanni. In any case, it is utilitarian, with a few food outlets and seemed to operate efficiently from what I could tell.

My main disappointment, however, was EVA's Taipei "business" lounge. It was a dump...a real piggie pen! It was rather smallish, cramped, and crowded. And in keeping with the overall airport feel, was decorated in what seemed to be 20 year old tacky and dirty furniture. The food (what little there was...and that consisted of mostly Chinese finger foods and instant noodles) sucked. They did have a nice slurpie drink type machine that was different, however. EVA should be ashamed of this lounge and you would think they would have a showplace lounge in their headquarters airport...maybe they are waiting for that new airport to be finished.

The B777 plane was not to be repeated, however, on the Taipei to SFO leg of the trip. I knew and had read that for this segment, they use one of 2 types of B747 in their fleet. The plane for my flight was a rather old and tattered 747 at least 10-15 years old I would imagine. The seat was large and there was plenty of space (being business class) but it was rather worn out and didn't recline all the way, of course. However, at least I did book a seat for the upper-deck and this is devoted to 1st and business on this plane. About 25-30 seats up there so quiet and peaceful. Again, food was as mentioned before. Did get a good 7-8 hours sleep (with a little help from ole friend Xanax) and woke-up a few hours before landing.

The return was more or less the same...same planes, good service, and mediocre food. The EVA lounge in SFO is also quite large and very comfortable. Food selection in not extensive but it is pretty good. Again, nice views of the airport and free wireless internet. Again, the flight was delayed by about 3 hours (not EVA fault because plane out of Taipei was delayed from taking off by a typhoon). However, this did cause me to miss my connection to Bangkok. This turned out to not be a bad thing in my view because I got to use more of the airports services and get more impressions of the place. EVA's staff were very apologetic about missing the connection (though it was completely out of their control) and efficient in getting me re-booked for the first flight out to Bangkok the next morning and my free airport hotel voucher and T$ 200 food voucher. We landed about 1 am. The airport hotel is just up a few floors in the terminal. The rooms are quite large and comfortable and have large picture windows looking out towards the city I suppose. Large bathrooms and comfy beds and work tables. Also, free internet. I took a nice hot bath and did manage to get another 4-5 hours sleep before waking for the 8:30 am flight to Bangkok. Before boarding, I used my food voucher at the Subway to get me a nice salami sandwich to tide me over EVA's upcoming food. There is also a Starbucks and a Chinese food shop but not alot of other restos at the airport. The flight to Bangkok took off on time and was uneventful

Conclusion:

Except for the food, the EVA flights were good value for money. The BKK-Taiwan flights on the new B777s are really nice and comfy. The longer legs on the 747s not so much but hopefully, you will be sleeping for most of that leg so it won't be so bad. {I believe that EVA uses the nice B777s on their BKK-LAX service, however, so those going to LaLa land are lucky...and the price is the same.) I would definitely take EVA again...at this price, you can't beat it. Though for my next return, I think I will try Thai's non-stop BKK-LAX flight just to give it a try...and take a short hop from there to SFO.

Edited by JonnieB

Cattle class AMS-BKK was quite poor. The plane was real old, no seat-back entertainment at all, just a few tatty overhead monitors, and the food average. But it was quick at about 10 hours and the attendants quite helpful and polite.

My first time on Eva in economy deluxe, early October BKK-AMS-BKK was good for leg room and with a wider seat was worth the extra $. The seats themselves are as hard as stone, and the contour is suited to a child. Everything else was good, including the work-a-holic F/A's. Seat back IFE was passable with a few good movies to pass some time.

Flight delayed 12 hours on return, so was put up at the Sheraton close by and given a EU$29 meal voucher.

I DO rate Eva Air.

Cattle class AMS-BKK was quite poor. The plane was real old, no seat-back entertainment at all, just a few tatty overhead monitors, and the food average. But it was quick at about 10 hours and the attendants quite helpful and polite.

I got the same experience that you have !

I got the same experience that you have !

They're in the process of refetting their newer 747s to the same standard as their 777s and retiring their old ones. Soon, their 747s will be 3 class: Premium Laurel, Elite, Economy...

Thanks for this review - very useful since I have to fly to the US next month and Eva was one of the choices (though business class is out of the question).

Taipei's airport is very old, I believe it was built in the 60's or early 70's. Frankly, I hate this airport but nothing beats Manila in terms of useless.

The lounges also suck in Taipei. At least there's free wifi though.

Thai is what I'm probably going to take for the trip, though, in order to ensure my Gold card, so if I end up flying that route I'll post my experience.

Just a small question, as I'm booked to travel on Eva next month london-BKK, returning early December (got quite a good price via Airline Network, who have issued an e-ticket, seat nos already allocated).

I see on Eva's website that that they offer online check-in for certain airports including Bangkok but not London. Has anyone used their online checkin at BKK? How does it work?

Except for the food, the EVA flights were good value for money.

Well... I've flown EVA a few times BKK-YVR... (but always in steerage class.)

But the food was always great.

The trick -

Order online and specify anything other than "normal" meals.

I always order Asian Vegetarian

It's always as good or better than ANY airline food I have eaten

AND... I ALWAYS get served FIRST.

Can't beat EVA food service, IMHO.

Hi, I have used BA, Quantas, Lufthansa, Thai as well as EVAon the LHR / BKK route at least 15 times, Quantas was poor for the price surly even, BA ludicrously expensive and no big deal, Thai medoicre v. noisy flight, Lufthansa OK but long run to Frankfurt to change legs. I also foolishly tried flyng via Dubai - BIG mistake the timings and 8.5 hr change over made the journey extremely long and time consuming to get over.

Since I started flying EVA (recommended by friends), both steerage and Elite/EVA Deluxe on 747's and 777,s I find that food is OK afterall I am not paying to be at the Boxwood or Langans (I usually have fish), the overnight direct flight is a boon, and either way I recover after a nights sleep with no lasting lag problems.

As for 'babes' a trolley dolly is a trolley dolly not your date or anything and as long as the service is reasonable then journey experience in terms of comfort, timing, flight time and cost are for me all important. Thought it was a good and interesting review.

Flying to BKK from LHR tonight actually - steerage this time - late booking.

Flew with them Business class to Tokyo last month. new planes , comfy seats, pleasant flight attendants. portions of food they offer are rather small. asked for some extra and was told in pleasant terms that this is not going to happen :o

airport is old looking , biz lounge serves very basic and cheap chinese food , mostly dim sum .

conclusion : good airplanes , good service , B minus on the food

@ MERIJN

There is not much chance you could get the new generation cabins on AMS-BKK in a foreseeable future. The reason is the AMS-BKK is operated with a 747 combi (half passengers and back of main deck with cargo) because there is not enough passenger traffic (at economic acceptable fares) to fill a full 777. Hence the need to compensate that with revenue from cargo. It is also not their intension to refurbish the 747-combi into the new cabin design as far as i know.

@ JONNIEB

Eva now operates with a 777 to Seattle.

One trick I have learned being a EVA Gold member... The online seat reservation system will not allow you to choose certain seats in Deluxe Class (like those two center lone seats in the nose of the 747)... But if you call and identify yourself as Gold Member they fall all over you... "Yes Yes you gold member... seat available"... :o Also their website has a detailed seating chart of all their planes...

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/eva...le/Fleet_facts/

Edited by sfokevin