Pumpkin Dishes

BossHogg

ผัดฟักทอง

Phad fak thong

Fried Pumpkin with Pork.

1 cup of Pork, cut into strips

2 cups of Pumpkin, diced or cut into bite-sized pieces

2 Eggs (Optional)

2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (Extra light and mild)

2-4 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce

1 Teaspoon of Sugar

Paste

1 Teaspoon of black Pepper

1-2 of Coriander roots, cut

1-2 Cloves of Garlic

Coriander leaves for Garnish

Preparation

• put the black peppercorns, garlic and coriander roots in a mortar and pound until fine, or blend in a food processor, set aside

• heat the wok/cooking pan on medium heat

• add olive oil

• add the paste (mixed of coriander root, garlic and black pepper)

• stir-fry the paste till aromatic

• add pork, stir-fry till the pork is almost cooked through

• add soy sauce, sugar

• add a little bit of water

• add pumpkin, stir gently to mix well

• cover with a lid for 4-5 mins, check if the pumpkin is cooked through

• remove into a serving plate

• sprinkle with coriander leaves

• serve with streamed whole-grain rice

ps. you can add egg and sweet basil (Horapha)

http://riya-kitchen.blogspot.com/2007/09/phad-fak-thong.html

Image(1587).jpg

ff269gd.jpg

ผัดฟักทอง

Phad fak thong

Fried Pumpkin with Pork.

2 Eggs (Optional)

1 Teaspoon of Sugar

Paste

1-2 Cloves of Garlic

Preparation

• put the black peppercorns, garlic and coriander roots in a mortar and pound until fine, or blend in a food processor, set aside

• add olive oil

• add soy sauce, sugar

Image(1587).jpg

ff269gd.jpg

thankyou very much Bambina...just the thing. Will also try looking for Indian dish with pumpkin

Bambi as ever comes to the rescue.

If you don't want to curry the pumpkin, (although I think it lends itself well to all curries) try stir fry it with a nice pesto. Cut the pumkin into 'match sticks' and serve as a side veg. Yummy!

ps don't overdo the pesto, less is more!

My grandma made a yummy dish for me when i was young (I miss you grandma xoxo)

sliced pumpkin +flour+egg then deep fried. >>crispy

eat it with arjad (syrup+vinegar+salt ..add sliced red onion+sliced cucumber+sliced chilli)

Pumpkin Coconut Dessert

This sweet and spicy coconut sauce complements the rich earth flavor of pumpkin, one of nature's incredibly versatile vegetable fruits. Yield:

8 to 10 servings

Time:

35 minutes

Ingredients

* 1 medium sugar pumpkin*, about 3.5 lbs

* 1 can Coconut Milk

* 1 & 1/2 cups of sugar

* 1 tsp ground cardamom

* 1 tsp ground cinnamon

* 1/4 tsp salt

*Sugar pumpkins can be found in the produce department or at a farm stand. They are not jack-o-lantern pumpkins but a sweeter, smaller variety grown for cooking.

Directions

1 Halve and seed pumpkin. Cut each half into four equal pieces. In a large pan steam pumpkin in one inch of lightly salted boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain in colander.

2 While pumpkin is draining (and cooling enough to handle), mix Coconut Milk, sugar, cardamom, cinnamon and salt in same pumpkin pan. Bring to a boil and actively simmer, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved.

3 Slice or peel skin from pumpkin and cut into small bite size squares. Add pumpkin to coconut sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Bring to room temperature and refrigerate.

4 Delicious served slightly warm or cold. For an extra festive treat, top pumpkin dessert with whipped cream or serve with a side of warm gingerbread.

- - -

Fak Thong Sang-Ka-Ya (Pumpkin Custard)

Ingredients

* 1 small pumpkin

* 5 duck eggs

* 1 cup coconut cream

* 1/2 sugar

1. Beat the eggs wih coconut cream and sugar until the mixture is frothy.

2. Cut the top of the pumpkin in square shape to make cover , look like a bowl with a cover.

3. Pour in the coconut cream mixture. Cook in the steamer for about 30 minutes.

4. Leave to cool or keep in refrigerator to make the custard firm.

http://www.tao-garden.com/links_v1/bua_loi.htm

Ingredient

- Glutinous rice flour

350 Grams

- Flour

2 Table Spoon

- Water 100 Grams

- Coconut Sugar 300 Grams

- Pumpkin (steam and paste) 200 Grams

- Taro (steam and paste) 200 Grams

- Coconut Milk 750 Grams

- Salt 1/4 Tea Spoon

Method

Mix the rice flour with enough water to make a stiff paste.

Mix some of paste with pumpkin pasted and the rest mix with taro pasted. Knead well and then form pea-sized balls. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, toss in the balls and remove when they float to the surface. Drain. Bring the coconut cream to a boil, put Sugar cane, Salt then stirring constantly to prevent it from separating, and then add the flour balls. When the mixture returns to a boil, remove from heat. Serve as dessert in small bowls.

bua_loi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fried Curried Pumpkin ( Gang Fuk Thong )

Small Pumpkin

1/2 pound of Pork Mince

2 Tablespoons Thai Yellow Curry Paste or more

1 cup Coconut Milk

1 Tablespoon Sugar

2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce or Golden Mountain

2 Garlic Cloves

2 Tablespoons Oil

1. Clean and chop the pumpkin into a bite sized pieces.

2. Put the oil into a frying pan over a medium heat. Chop the garlic and fry with oil for a few seconds.

3. Add the curry paste and coconut milk, stir it until the curry is mixed with coconut milk. add more or less to taste.

4. Roll pieces of pork mince into small balls and add to the pan.

5. Add the sugar, light soy sauce and water if it's too thick, and fry for 1 minute. It's better to put a lid on the pan so it doesn't dry out.

when the pumpkin is soft anf the porkballs are done it ready to eat with rice.

You can make chicken balls if you don't like pork.

It's all good!

*j*

Edited by Chung noi

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
ผัดฟักทอง

Phad fak thong

Fried Pumpkin with Pork.

2 Eggs (Optional)

1 Teaspoon of Sugar

Paste

1-2 Cloves of Garlic

Preparation

• add olive oil

• add soy sauce, sugar

Image(1587).jpg

ff269gd.jpg

Hi Bambina. A friend of mine is raising money to build a new school for nursery children in N.E. Thailand. One way is by compiling a global cookery book. Please can we have your permission to add this one to the book ? And any more if you have them ? Thanks.

Fried Curried Pumpkin ( Gang Fuk Thong )

Small Pumpkin

1/2 pound of Pork Mince

2 Tablespoons Thai Yellow Curry Paste or more

1 cup Coconut Milk

1 Tablespoon Sugar

2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce or Golden Mountain

2 Garlic Cloves

2 Tablespoons Oil

1. Clean and chop the pumpkin into a bite sized pieces.

2. Put the oil into a frying pan over a medium heat. Chop the garlic and fry with oil for a few seconds.

3. Add the curry paste and coconut milk, stir it until the curry is mixed with coconut milk. add more or less to taste.

4. Roll pieces of pork mince into small balls and add to the pan.

5. Add the sugar, light soy sauce and water if it's too thick, and fry for 1 minute. It's better to put a lid on the pan so it doesn't dry out.

when the pumpkin is soft anf the porkballs are done it ready to eat with rice.

You can make chicken balls if you don't like pork.

It's all good!

*j*

Hi Chung Noi, Please can we use your recipe in a global cook book that my friend is compiling to raise money to build a school in NE Thailand ? Any more ??

My girlfriend makes prawn and pumpkin curry soup, which I really enjoy. Not sure about her recipe, but this seems close.

prawnandpumpkinsoupnewblog1.jpg

This yellow curried soup is a soothing comfort food when the weather turns cooler. Squash may be substituted if pumpkin is unavailable, or make a vegetarian version by adding chickpeas instead of prawns. Whatever way you cook it, you'll have your guests asking for second (and third!) helpings of this delicious, nutritious soup. *For an extra special presentation, serve it in a carved-out pumpkin - a great idea for a Halloween or Thanksgiving dinner party! (See instructions at the end of this recipe.)

INGREDIENTS:

• 4 cups good-tasting chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1/4 to 1/2 small (raw) pumpkin, OR 1/2 butternut or other squash, deseeded, cut into cubes, and peeled
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 2 or more heads of baby bok choy, larger leaves cut in half
  • handful of fresh coriander
  • 10-12 medium tiger prawns (for vegetarian version, substitue 1 cup cooked chickpeas)
  • 1/2 to 1 can thick coconut cream or milk
  • 1-2 kaffir lime leaves, left whole
  • YELLOW CURRY PASTE:
  • 1-2 minced yellow chilies (depending on desired spice level) OR substitute 1-2 green or red chilies
  • 1/2 stalk lemon grass, sliced finely and minced (see link below) OR 2 Tbsp. frozen prepared lemongrass
  • 2 shallots. sliced, OR 1 small onion, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 thumb-sized piece of galangal or ginger, sliced or grated
  • 3 Tbsp. fish sauce (If vegetarian, use vegetarian fish sauce or soy sauce)
  • 1 Tbsp. ketchup OR tomato paste (if using tomato paste, sweeten it with 1 more tsp. sugar)
  • 3 kaffir lime leaves (can be purchased frozen at Asian/Chinese stores) - cut away inner stem and discard
  • 1 tsp. turmeric
  • 1 can good-quality coconut milk
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • squeeze of lime juice (about 2 tsp.)

PREPARATION:

1. To make the curry paste, place all paste ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and process well. OR, simply minced everything by hand and stir together. Set aside.
  2. In a large soup pot, heat stock.
  3. Add the paste, stirring to combine. Add pumpkin or squash cubes plus whole lime leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-high, simmering for 5-8 minutes, or until pumpkin softens.
  4. Add prawns (or beans), bell pepper, and bok choy. Cover and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until prawns are bright pink and plump.
  5. Reduce heat to low and add the 1/2 can coconut milk, stirring to combine. Taste-test for salt - the saltiness of your soup will depend on how salty your stock was to start with. Add more fish sauce (instead of salt) as needed. If too salty for your taste, add up to 2 Tbsp. lime juice. If too sour for your taste, add up to 3 tsp. brown sugar. If too spicy (or if you would prefer a "creamier" soup), add the rest of the can of coconut milk. If not spicy enough, add another chili, finely diced.
  6. Ladle into bowls and serve hot with fresh coriander sprinkled over. This soup may also be served with cooked rice or rice noodles for a nutritionally-balanced meal. If desired, add a dollop of either store-bought or my own homemade Nam Prik Pao Chili Sauce to soup before eating for an extra kick of flavor and spice. Enjoy!

*For a special occasion, such as Halloween or Thanksgiving, consider serving this soup in a carved-out pumpkin (or pumpkin-like squash):

• Cut a "lid" in the top of a pumpkin or squash (preferably one with a nice stem). Remove the lid and reserve for later.
  • Use an ice cream scoop or steel spoon to dig out the "guts" of the pumpkin, as you would to make a jack-o-lantern.
  • When the pumpkin is cleaned out, replace the lid and keep it in a cool (not freezing) place (refrigerator or porch) until you're ready to use it.
  • Let the pumpkin warm up to room temperature while you make the soup, then ladle simply it into the pumpkin. Top with the lid and place pumpkin on a sturdy serving platter. Then bring it to the table and lift the lid to reveal the delicious pumpkin soup. Enjoy!!

• 4 months later...

One of my favourites:

Gaeng Om Moo - Thai Pork Stew

a dish from Thailand's Esarn

Cut meat in very thin stripes (works best when frozen), about 5 cm long.

Cut pumpkin in cubes, zucchini in slices, eggplants in quarters. Chop onions. Chop chillies (of which 3 go into the mortar, see next step), spring onions, dill, and kaffir lime leaves. Pick basil leaves from their stems.

In a mortar, pound 3 chillies, the garlic, galangal and lemongrass. Heat some water in a big pot and add the paste. Cook until fragrant, add onions.

Then add the stock, some water, and the meat and cook for about 10 minutes.

Add fermented fish paste (pla rah), pumpkin, zucchini, egg plants, and the ground rice. Cook for 5 more minutes.

Now add spring onions, chillies, dill, kaffir lime leaves, and lemon basil. Add fish sauce and sugar, and season to taste.

Mix well and serve.

preparation time: 1 hr grade of difficulty: medium kJ/kcal per portion: no information leer.gif

307-big-gaeng-om-moo-thai-pork-stew.jpg

Ingredients for 4 portions:

500 g pork, marbled 250 g pumpkin 250 g zucchini 5 small white eggplants (or white-green ones) 5 Thai onions 5 clove(s) garlic 6 chillies, red (or more) 1 galangal, about 5 cm 2 stalks lemongras 3 tbsp rice, roasted uncooked, ground 6 piece(s) spring onions 1 bunch(es) dill (big one) 3 stalks Thai lemon basil (mang lak) 5 piece(s) kaffir lime leaves 2 tbsp fermented fish paste (pla rah) 1 tbsp fish saucex, to taste 1 tsp sugar 1 tsp stock, instant water

author: Dorry

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't cooked it... but a love to eat it... pumpkin is one of my favorites in Thai food...

A couple of the little shop house restaurants around my BKK home typically have a pumpkin red curry sometime during the week. It seems as though its a variation on the red curry recipes listed above, but they're not using any meat/pork and instead seems like blending in beaten egg into the curry, so you get the chunks of soft pumpkin and strands of egg... very sweet and savory in its overall presentation...but yummy....

With loads of pumpkin flesh one obvious answer is pumpkin soup. This is a recipe I've used in a number of restaurants I've owned.

One pumpkin about 1.5 kg

One medium sized carrot

One large apple

One large onion

About 1/8th teaspoon of fresh chopped ginger

About 1/16th teaspoon of chopped chili

Skin and cut the pumpkin up into medium sized wedges, peal and cut the carrot up into 1/8ths (cut in half horizontally and then half lengthways twice), Cut the onion into 1/4s, peal and de-core the apple. Finely dice the ginger and chili.

Boil the pumpkin, carrot, apple and onion in a medium sized saucepan until firmly cooked. Not mushy.

Cook the ginger and chili in a fine cotton back or a net suspended in the water.

Allow the cooked ingredients to cool and then add to a blender. Blend on slow speed adding a little of the water (a few tablespoons only) from the cooking pot to the blender to aid in the blending process.

Combine the different blender batches in a large bowl.

Heat and serve as required topped with your choice of sour cream, chopped chives, freshly ground pepper.

This makes a thick style soup. The carrot is added to provide extra colour to the pumpkin and the apple and onion remove the soapy taste that pure pumpkin can sometimes have. Go easy on the chili and ginger as if the soup is allowed to stand for any time the flavour from these will intensify. They should be a feature of the soup and not overpower the main dishes falvour.

Enjoy.

I just love to make a pumpkin and chicken stock base. Which I use for so much of my cooking. I usually make a HUGE batch, divide it into single proportions (I'm a bachelor and cook small meals for myself), and then freeze them. The finished product makes a great base for so many of my rough-and-ready recipes, and is incredibly nutritious.

There's no secret to it -- and no rules. I'm a pathetic cook, which is probably why I'm a bachelor. But basically, this is it:

Medium-sized pumpkin. Cut off the skin and scoop out the innards and discard (or whatever). Throw the flesh into a blender with some water -- bit at a time, of course -- and set aside.

Take a grab-bag of 3-4 chicken carcasses (roughly smashed up to reduce them in size) and the usual unwanted chicken parts such as feet and necks (which I buy at Makro, Srinakharin). Wrap and tie them in muslin cloth (that same kind of cloth you see the street-stall coffee makers use to strain out the coffee grounds). I do this because it's then easy to take out the chicken remnants and feed them to my dog.

In a 5-litre pot, I fill it about half-way with water.

AND NOW the fun begins. I throw in everything I can find -- roughly chopped onions and garlic (heaps and heaps), bouquet garni, all manner of spices and herbs -- sauces (Sri Racha is a favourite). And then the chicken bag. This is great -- I tell you, mankind would have crawled back to the sea if I'd been cooking at the dawn of civilisation. Anyway, bring to boil and let it simmer for an hour. Then let it cool -- if you can, stick the pot in the fridge for a while until you can scrape off the top layer of fat. (You may decide this is an unnecessary if you're embarking on a Sumo career.)

Having got rid of the fat, return the pot to the stove and pour in the pumpkin mixture. Cook for 20 minutes.

After that, it's just a matter of using a sieve to get rid of the roughage. That should earn me points on Gordon Ramsay's "hel_l's Kitchen"?

It may not be cooking for the stars, but what the he_l. I get a very tasty pumpkin and chicken stock base.

• 1 month later...

Yep. This sounds good and will be making this tonite with a movie on a cold winter day. Thanks for the recipe and I'll check out the other ones on that link as well. Really glad I found this forum and looking forward to my trip to Thailand this winter. Cheers!

ผัดฟักทอง

Phad fak thong

Fried Pumpkin with Pork.

2 Eggs (Optional)

1 Teaspoon of Sugar

Paste

1-2 Cloves of Garlic

Preparation

• add olive oil

• add soy sauce, sugar

Image(1587).jpg

ff269gd.jpg