Gregs New Sunrise Taco Place

PadThaiGuy

Went into Sunrise late last night for a bite to eat - A great place!!

The food was excellent, highly recommended. First time i have been in the sitdown area and thouroughly

enjoyed it...

As for the Key Lime Pie...I had one slice and ended up buying a whole pie to take home..

Greg says they will last for a couple of months in the freezer...i will be lucky if mine lasts for a couple of days!!!

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...Thanks for the subtle warning...i put a link to my restaurant "Oh My Cod!"s website below my post - out of habit from using other forums....Silly Me!! And got this message in return!!Overkill... :o . Apparently my Warning Level has been raised!!! Bring in th UN!!! Not as if i make a habit out of it...

Anyway, go to Gregs place, it's good.

Your warning level has been raised for dropping a promotional URL to your business into your post. Please read the forum rules again before posting:

QUOTE 7) Spam, flooding, commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations are also inappropriate and not allowed on thaivisa.com. Any member who might violate this prohibition will be banned from these forums and this site. Membership is at the will of thaivisa.com. Our contracts with our advertisers prohibit comments with regard to advertisements which appear on our forums. Such comments should not be posted and will be removed. Please don't drop promotional urls, signature files, or specifics that would lead people to your site.

If you feel this warning has been given in error, please feel free to email [email protected]

sbk,the moderating team

The food was excellent, highly recommended. First time i have been in the sitdown area and thouroughly

enjoyed it...

As for the Key Lime Pie...I had one slice and ended up buying a whole pie to take home..

Greg says they will last for a couple of months in the freezer...i will be lucky if mine lasts for a couple of days!!!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by OhMyCod

Well...Thanks for the subtle warning...i put a link to my restaurant "Oh My Cod!"s website below my post - out of habit from using other forums....Silly Me!! And got this message in return!!Overkill... :o . Apparently my Warning Level has been raised!!! Bring in th UN!!! Not as if i make a habit out of it...

Well, yes, perhaps an overly blunt approach... I hear good things about "Oh My Cod" also by the way.

Well...Thanks for the subtle warning...i put a link to my restaurant "Oh My Cod!"s website below my post - out of habit from using other forums....Silly Me!! And got this message in return!!Overkill... :D . Apparently my Warning Level has been raised!!! Bring in th UN!!! Not as if i make a habit out of it...

Well, yes, perhaps an overly blunt approach... I hear good things about "Oh My Cod" also by the way.

:D i know they have a business to run, but being a little more human never hurt anyone :o

Cheers dantilley :D

enjoyed it...

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for taking the time to post Chris. The keylime pie is going head to head with our homemade Apple Pie now.

Funny thing happen this afternoon. jA woman stopped me and said "I have a bet with my husband, where are you from? " When I responded with Florida, she started screaming "Yes". She had ate the keylime pie and based on how good she felt it was, had surmised I was from Fla and made a bet with her husband.

So Chris, any pie left? :o

I have ate at Chris place " Oh My Cod... very good fish and chips near Khao San Rd.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Funny thing happen this afternoon. jA woman stopped me and said "I have a bet with my husband, where are you from? " When I responded with Florida, she started screaming "Yes". She had ate the keylime pie and based on how good she felt it was, had surmised I was from Fla and made a bet with her husband.

Haha... unfortunately you're not selling the pie in the Emporium branch - I went looking.

Haha... unfortunately you're not selling the pie in the Emporium branch - I went looking.

Key Lime Pie in a Mexican restaurant?

I have eaten at Sunrise tacos many times, and though the quality is usually good, it is hit and miss and not very Mexican tasting really. As long as you keep concentrating on Key Lime Pie this will surely continue to be the case.

Why don't you do your customers a favor and hire a real authentic live Mexican to supervise your kitchens? Surely it cannot cost more than your frequent tasting trips to the U.S.

unfortunately you're not selling the pie in the Emporium branch - I went looking.

Sorry for not having any pie at the Emporium. I would like to thank you for stopping by.

We have Apple, Pumpkin and Strawberry Cheesecake pie at the Siam Paragon branch (No key lime Pie because of limited freezer space). I was waiting to put pies in the Emporium branch till after April 28th when the Food Hall was to be renovated. However today I got a letter; they have put the new concept on hold. As the letter goes on to say, they don't know when the renovation of the food hall will ever start, I will bite the bullet and put up the new menu board now. Look for pies in a week there. I will send you a pm when they are there.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I agree. The aircon could use some help. A bit too warm in there sometimes.

Was fixed last week . Had to wait till the aircon guys got back from Chinese New Years. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Key Lime Pie in a Mexican restaurant?

Started with Pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and has gone up from there. Not Mexican but neither is hard shell ground beef tacos or nachos. The key lime pie does get the "OOOHHHHs" and " AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHs"

have eaten at Sunrise tacos many times, and though the quality is usually good, it is hit and miss and not very Mexican tasting really.

Thank you for stopping by many times. We hope everytime in the future is a hit.

We go after the mass market and cater to as many of our guests desires as we can. Not many Mexicans in Bangkok so we need American versions of Mexican food as well. So many ways to cook Mexican food, even in Mexco itself and why we have “build your own" concepts with tacos and burritos. One of the reasons why seasoned ground beef is so popular at Sunrise because it’s a American thing.

On the other hand we have a good number of Mexican friends that will have a warm soft corn tortilla with barbacoa, cilantro, chopped onions and the Sunrise Salsa.

For instance, last week, case in point...

We catered the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand as they had a Contemporary World Cinema night showing Luis Estrada's La Ley de Herodes (Herod's law), courtesy of the Mexican Embassy. The Ambassador was there as well and he was enjoying our tacos. He is a frequent visitor of our restaurant.

On Wednesday, Feb 13th I got an e-mail from a student named Claudia with this excerpt... "As a Mexican I have tried some tacos here in Bangkok, but I found yours very good, and very close form the once my mom use to cook for me."

As you are a frequent visitor, you are aware we continue to get crowds at our restaurants every night of the week. They are from many nationalities but one guy last night stood out. He was from Fort Worth, Texas and was shaking my hand like a jack hammer, he was so excited and said “That was the best burrito I ever ate in my life. " I hope every burrito gives my guests the same happiness as he had.

www.sunrisetacos.com

unfortunately you're not selling the pie in the Emporium branch - I went looking.

Sorry for not having any pie at the Emporium. I would like to thank you for stopping by.

We have Apple, Pumpkin and Strawberry Cheesecake pie at the Siam Paragon branch (No key lime Pie because of limited freezer space). I was waiting to put pies in the Emporium branch till after April 28th when the Food Hall was to be renovated. However today I got a letter; they have put the new concept on hold. As the letter goes on to say, they don't know when the renovation of the food hall will ever start, I will bite the bullet and put up the new menu board now. Look for pies in a week there. I will send you a pm when they are there.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I'll try them all... please do let me know.

Food Hall needs a renovation bad - that is a completely terrible layout. And they need to learn to stay open until closing time rather than starting to pack up at 8:45. It's gotten so bad that now they're doing it outside in the stalls, as well as in the supermarket. Methinks the Emporium is starting to hurt if it tries to chase people out on time.

Food Hall needs a renovation bad - that is a completely terrible layout. And they need to learn to stay open until closing time rather than starting to pack up at 8:45. It's gotten so bad that now they're doing it outside in the stalls, as well as in the supermarket. Methinks the Emporium is starting to hurt if it tries to chase people out on time.

The Park Food Hall will be no longer when the renovations start. All restaurants will have their own stand alone concept with seating for only their customer. We were allocated 70 sq.m. for our own seating and kitchen. We then will have our own waiters and we will have our own margaritas.

Last I saw on the drawing plans, MOS Burger will be our neighbor with 200 sq.m.

I laid down the law with my staff at the Siam Paragon the second night we were open. My team was breaking down the equipment at 9:30 p.m. I insisted that they stay open till 10:00 p.m. and the staff insisted I would be fined 1,000 Baht, if I was not out of the space by 10:00 p.m.

I want to serve the last customer till 10:00 p.m. and said. “I get fined, I get fined but I'm serving till 10:00” Since then we have stayed open till 10:00 every night. Staff leaves at 10:30 after cleaning up and I have not been fined once. I found out since then, the fine is serving food or drink after 10:00 p.m. but of course some staff has selective hearing. :o

Will work on the pies asap for the Emporium.

www.sunrisetacos.com

LOL. I'd have no objection to "no serving food after 10" - makes perfect sense - but when shops start closing up before or around 9...

In a way, I am glad they are changing the Food Hall concept. Perhaps they will use some common sense this time... Food Hall is empty because there isn't enough selection, and they close early. I also didn't like La Glace who overcharge for nearly every drink they offer, and the only other choice is Whittard & Chelsea's drinks, which are of course expensive but they have a brand...

On the other hand, it is nice to be able to order from a few different places and sit in a central location. Then I don't have to worry about what the wife and kids want to eat.

I'd second that thought... It's really not a good thing...when two regular drinks end up costing as much or more than one regular meal. And that's what happens, every time we end up getting drinks from La Glace... I'll be happier if Sunrise can offer their own margaritas and other drink there.

I also didn't like La Glace who overcharge for nearly every drink they offer, and the only other choice is Whittard & Chelsea's drinks, which are of course expensive but they have a brand...

I'd second that thought... It's really not a good thing...when two regular drinks end up costing as much or more than one regular meal. And that's what happens, every time we end up getting drinks from La Glace... I'll be happier if Sunrise can offer their own margaritas and other drink there.
I also didn't like La Glace who overcharge for nearly every drink they offer, and the only other choice is Whittard & Chelsea's drinks, which are of course expensive but they have a brand...

At Emporium, after the renovations we will have our own margaritas, virgin margaritas, beer, soda and water; the same as we have at Siam Paragon and Sukhumvit rd Soi 12-Soi 14.

When this will happen on the renovations is anyone's guess? At first we had the letter, renovations will start Jan 5th, then April 28th and now it's "Coming soon"

Even though we continue to be #1 in sales compared to the other brands in the Park food hall, I wish the renovations had started on April 28th. The Mall has a very good management team so they must have a good reason for the delay.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I ate at the Sunrise Taco with a friend, the other day and we liked it overall, but we both thought the menu was a bit confusing to a first time customer. I am sure you can dial it in after a couple of visits, but I really don't like to think that much when ordering. :o

Even though we continue to be #1 in sales compared to the other brands in the Park food hall, I wish the renovations had started on April 28th. The Mall has a very good management team so they must have a good reason for the delay.

Not sure about this but Food Hall must be coming up on 3 years since opening... perhaps they wish to let a few contracts lapse first? I can think of a couple of them who will rush for the door the first chance they get... and hopefully they will be a bit more selective when allowing new tenants in...

BTW, if you need a cake display for the pies, I have one available (along with the rest of my coffee equipment if you want to put in your own somewhere)...

I ate at the Sunrise Taco with a friend, the other day and we liked it overall, but we both thought the menu was a bit confusing to a first time customer. I am sure you can dial it in after a couple of visits, but I really don't like to think that much when ordering. :o

Thanks for stopping by.

After one year watching want people order. I have it pretty well dialed in with want the majority want so at the Siam Paragon, I have made it very simple and its going to get even simpler soon( The new menu board was going up tonight but the printer screwed up somehow so it may be Friday now) Everything is a set menu but will have two choices with build your own options for tacos and burritos.

For instance #1 is Red Snapper Fish Tacos, #2 is Southwest Chicken Tacos, #3 USA Cowboy Tacos, #4 Build your own Tacos, #5 Chicken Burrito, #6 Beef Burrito, #7 Build your own Burrito,

#12 Steak or Chicken Fajitas, #13 Chicken Quesadilla, #14 Grande Supreme Nachos ( Chicken or Seasoned ground beef) #15 Nachos. Dessert choices of Apple, Pumpkin, Strawberry Cheesecake Pie. Only thinking is with #4 or #7 with “build your own"

New Menu coming out at Emporium which will be the same. Of course if someone wants to substitute a meat, or hold some item, we will.

Not sure about this but Food Hall must be coming up on 3 years since opening... perhaps they wish to let a few contracts lapse first? I can think of a couple of them who will rush for the door the first chance they get... and hopefully they will be a bit more selective when allowing new tenants in...

They can kick you out anytime after three months so they don't even need 3 years. Your store must have sales or you are out. Their is indeed a waiting list of people wanting to have their brand name restaurant at the Emporium.

BTW, if you need a cake display for the pies, I have one available (along with the rest of my coffee equipment if you want to put in your own somewhere)...

Yes I'm interested. Sending a pm to you now.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Greg, what about Red Snapper Burritos on the new menu for Paragon and Emporium???

I see you're listing Red Snapper as a separate choice under tacos, but not for burrito... Can one still order the fish burrito under Build Your Own???

Also, what does all this mean for Suk 12.... Things stay the same there...or it shifts too to the new menu approach of the other locations???

For instance #1 is Red Snapper Fish Tacos, #2 is Southwest Chicken Tacos, #3 USA Cowboy Tacos, #4 Build your own Tacos, #5 Chicken Burrito, #6 Beef Burrito, #7 Build your own Burrito,

#12 Steak or Chicken Fajitas, #13 Chicken Quesadilla, #14 Grande Supreme Nachos ( Chicken or Seasoned ground beef) #15 Nachos. Dessert choices of Apple, Pumpkin, Strawberry Cheesecake Pie. Only thinking is with #4 or #7 with "build your own"

They can kick you out anytime after three months so they don't even need 3 years. Your store must have sales or you are out. Their is indeed a waiting list of people wanting to have their brand name restaurant at the Emporium.

Which would be fine for one of the spaces in the outer area - but makes no sense for someone who has to spend hundreds of thousands outfitting the place.

I can think of three which aren't making money and probably never have from the start - fortunately, management must sort of understand the situation and decided to take the usual Thai way out. Surely the contracts still have a fixed period, do they not?

No PM received :o You can also ask Ronald who has the details in his/your email.

It seems to be even more confusing to the thai cooks, I hardly ever seem to get what I order with the form. the prefab items like california or texas seem to work much better. Good move simplifying your menu while leaving the build-your-own option for the adventurous.

Greg, what about Red Snapper Burritos on the new menu for Paragon and Emporium???

as of now the Sukhumvit Soi 12 location has the Red Snapper Tacos and the burrito. Siam has the Red Snapper tacos and should not be a problem to get a Red Snapper Burrito. Everything is there. Just ask for Elizabeth or Pat if the clerk doesn't get it.

I see you're listing Red Snapper as a separate choice under tacos, but not for burrito... Can one still order the fish burrito under Build Your Own???

We prepare the fish Tacos in a Baja style with a special white sauce, shredded cabbage and fresh tomato salsa. Some people want to build it themselves but we usally convince them to try it our way first.

Also, what does all this mean for Suk 12.... Things stay the same there...or it shifts too to the new menu approach of the other locations???

Sukhumvit will always have more of an extensive menu and party packs. However we will be shifting to just “build your own” options with tacos and burritos. As of now we allow it for most everything. I’m just trying to eliminate all the potential roadblocks as much as possible. With most restaurants if you order #1 you feel good when you get #1. With us they have 12 possible screw-up’s because of the options on order #1.

www.sunrisetacos.com

can think of three which aren't making money and probably never have from the start - fortunately, management must sort of understand the situation and decided to take the usual Thai way out. Surely the contracts still have a fixed period, do they not?

Some may have a year but that would be the maximum. Most have three months.

No PM received :o You can also ask Ronald who has the details in his/your email.

That is weird you didn't get the private message. Ok will resend and ask Ronald.

www.sunrisetacos.com

• 2 weeks later...

Went to visit the Soi 12 location - couldn't wait any longer to taste some pie. Definitely like this location over the Emporium but it is less convenient for me.

Greg, you have my comments already in person :o But for everyone else's gratification, I think that a visit to the Soi 12 Location is in order if you want good Mexican food. I'll have to try the Paragon branch but right now the Soi 12 branch is most appealing to me.

I also tried all three pies - key lime, pumpkin, and strawberry cheescake - all very much to my liking except for size (I believe a slice should be about half a pie!).

Will try to sneak in another day when Greg is not around to be sure that everything is the same :D

Will try to sneak in another day when Greg is not around to be sure that everything is the same :D

Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, if you are looking for a time to go when I'm not around, starting Monday night will be good. My wife flies back to Thailand, as she was in Nepal trekking for the last six weeks. I won't be able to stay 100+ hours a week with my Mia Noi ( Sunrise Tacos) like I have been. :o

For the next couple weeks, you'll find me home looking at pictures of the Mount Everest Camp and the Jungle. :-)

www.sunrisetacos.com

Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, if you are looking for a time to go when I'm not around, starting Monday night will be good. My wife flies back to Thailand, as she was in Nepal trekking for the last six weeks. I won't be able to stay 100+ hours a week with my Mia Noi ( Sunrise Tacos) like I have been. :o

For the next couple weeks, you'll find me home looking at pictures of the Mount Everest Camp and the Jungle. :-)

www.sunrisetacos.com

Will keep that in mind. But get the pies into the Emporium location first...