Thinking About Another Trip: Nong Khai, Nakon Phnom, Kon Kaen, Mukdaharn, Buriram

luumak

I'm thinking about a trip to Lao for about three weeks. I dont know whether I will enter/exit from Savanakhet or Vientiane. I have not spent any time in Issan in years so thinking about a look about Issan as well ...

I really like the Khmer temples so I am thinking about Buriram for Phnom Rung (Bram not much of a place I know) as well as Wat Pi Mai and Prey Vihear. Does anyone know the entrance fees and difficulty by public transport?

Kon Kaen is an ok sort of place and I can p/u a Lao visa there. What to do, how to get a flavor of this place more than my usual 2 nights?

*Has anyone been/living in/to Nakon Phnom? I always tell myself I am going to get out there. Do you like this place?

Anyway, if any of you could highlight some night time activities, place to grab a beer/whisky and some info I would appreciate it, - Nong Khai (city cntr), Nakon Phnom (riverfront), Kon Kaen, Mukdaharn, Buriram. Should I even bother w/ Buriram?

Thanks

I like Buriram and consider it my home town, I live in a small village but go to town often. Depents on what u want if u come here or not. Really good looking girls ib the bars but it is not Bangkok or that city by the sea. Reminds me of Omaha is the states u have to come just to say u were there.

Buriram is definitely worth a visit. Stand in the square in front of the railway station and stuff yourself on fried pork balls on sticks dipped in chilli sauce any weekday afternoon about 4 o'clock. The view is incredible!

I spend about four months of the year in Nakhon Phanom, I love it, the river views are fantastic.

Small town really quite quiet, there are the usual Karaoke bars spread about in town. Or try the Satang Restaurant (beside wat ma had tad) on the riverfront for decent food and a drink. During the day grab something to eat above the Indochina market and sit outside and watch the world go by.

During the day you can visit Ho Chi Minn's(spelling) house just outside Nakhon Phanom, he stayed here for a couple of years before the outbreak of the second world war. Or visit Tat Phanom just down the road.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Kon Kaen is an ok sort of place and I can p/u a Lao visa there. What to do, how to get a flavor of this place more than my usual 2 nights?

In Khon Kaen: visit Bueng Khaen Nakon, a park around a lake with many restaurants and some temples. There is a high chedi at the south-west end of the lake. It is 9 floors high, you can go up there and will be rewarded with a nice view over the city.

I was in Udon last week and was very impressed by this town. Just passed through it,but it certainly has a lot of atmosphere there. Beautiful places in the city center. Just nice to be there, not a real tourist destination. Reminds me of Bangkok 30 years ago.

Enjoy Isarn!