The Tiger 200 Boxer

Richard-BKK

Not much is know, especially in English, about the Tiger Boxer 200 motorcycle. I therefore looked into the books and called some friends and of course asked the traffic police guy who lives 3 houses down the street next to me.....

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...ai-Mystery-Bike

Not that bad at all, a 200cc bike for 57,000 Baht.....

Saw my mechanic testing out a new one yesterday in Phuket. At first glance, I thought it was a Caviga, but the front looked odd. Now I know what it is :o

Wonder if he'll let me take it for a spin.

How is Caviga for reliability?

Thaimotorcycle.com is a whole other story, all it is somewhat Tiger Boxer 200 related. Most of the Tiger's motors are currently produced in Malaysia. Where Proton Automobile, who was previous owner of Italian Cagive, had the idea to work together with a small upcoming factory in Thailand to manufacture Cagiva's.

The whole cooperation did not worked out that positive for the Malaysians' and Italian Cagiva and the contract was terminated at the beginning of 2006. Also, by court order, Tiger Motorcycle needed to pay a consequential amount of money to Cagiva for breaking parts of the agreement.

After this motorcycle failure for Malaysian Proton Auto they sold the whole MV Augusta (which on its own is owner of Cagiva) back to an Italian investment group for one Euro.....

The Japanese maybe make more 125cc and 150cc...etc then the Italians, but if you need a bike that performance well and bike that service well you need to look at the Italians.

What can I say about Cagiva, it was the first bike MotoGP star Valatino Rossi won a GP race on...

Edit (But a Tiger Boxer is not a Cagiva....it is designed and developed by the Italians, it is still build in Southeast Asia, mostly in Malaysia now-a-days)

Edited by Richard-BKK

I've seen some of the security staff at our factory complex riding about on Tiger Boxer bikes, on looks alone they seem to be the business but am in the dark about performance details. How much do they retail at ?

Edited by chavy

For the people who look for an alternative to the Honda Phantom, Tiger Motorcycles also has the Tiger Boxer 200 Touring, it just cost a little bit more, engine is all the same.... A few days ago I drove (on the back, they did not let me drive alone) a Tiger Boxer 200 of the Bangkok traffic police, with two persons both not the lightest, with me close to 100kg and guess the police guy about 70kg, we where able to rather quickly get to 140km/h and I could feel that the bike had much more. But we agreed to u-turn at the outer-ring road u-turn and drive back over Rama 2 road to Bangmod.

For a tail farang the up-right, cruiser style, riding position is better then on a Honda CBR-150 performance similar, with the Tiger 200cc engine outperforming a CBR-150 in the low revs. And I belief that the Tiger is surely not slow it will never hit 180km/h, but then how many of us ever do that driving a CBR-150

post-12170-1194574649_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

Saw my mechanic testing out a new one yesterday in Phuket. At first glance, I thought it was a Caviga, but the front looked odd. Now I know what it is :o

Wonder if he'll let me take it for a spin.

How is Caviga for reliability?

its italian and part of ducati, should be ok,but a honda it is not,. :D .

If you could get up to an indicated 140 with 170 kilos of humans aboard, and still think there was more power and high speed left, that beats my CBR150. On level ground, crouched down and with me only on board (85 kilos), I've never gotten over 145 indicated. And 'indicated' was probably 10% optimistic.

Not that 145km/h on the meter is slow buy I surely had the idea that the CBR-150 had more. My g/f (60kg at the time) told me that she did speeds over 170km/h on a CBR-150
You make the point, Richard: 145km/hour on the speedometer is not slow in Thailand! I'd love to have an extra 59 horsepower and 100 more newtons of torque, for acceleration under 140 km/hr. But speeds of 180 and 222 would greatly increase the likelihood of becoming roadkill.

If you could get up to an indicated 140 with 170 kilos of humans aboard, and still think there was more power and high speed left, that beats my CBR150. On level ground, crouched down and with me only on board (85 kilos), I've never gotten over 145 indicated. And 'indicated' was probably 10% optimistic.
Knowing what i do about italian electrics the speedo was connected up to the rev counter it sounds like ! :o

Knowing what i do about italian electrics the speedo was connected up to the rev counter it sounds like ! :o

ahmen to that one Mike !!

In Bangkok now and have already seen at least four or five of these 200 cc. bikes. They seem to be about the same weight and size as the Honda 150 CBR's. Don't know what the power is, but that's 33 % more displacement. If the horsepower corresponds at a similar rate and I'm not saying it does, the bikes could be a lot of fun to drive. I live in Pattaya and have never seen one until today immediately upon my arrival in Bangkok.

hello

I´ve found the Thai-Homepage under:

http://www.thaimotorcycles.com/Image_In_Pi...er_Special.html

There are 3 Prices:

Kickstart 57.000 B

E-Start 62.000 B or

Both 65.000 B

But I didn´t find any Information, where I can bye this bike.

Have anyone some Information and adresses?

Know anyone something about quality and situation of bying spare parts for the tiger around Thailand?

Thank you for answers

Michael

[email protected]