Tourists Visa

Hey guys i have to travel out of the country for a visa i hear i can head out chiangrai way and get the boat over to a consulate is there any truth in that advice needed please. im a bit fed up with vientienne so would like another place to go to and to be less costly thanks

Sounds like a load of hooey.

Btw, you can get 2 visa's if you just ask for the second one at Vientienne.

So you only need to go to a consulate every 6 months.

A year or two back I did a variation on the Mae Sai run and got a small boat across from Chiang Kong to Huay Xai (Laos) for 20 baht. Needed to get a Laos visa on disembarking ($30) had a look around, something to eat and back to Chiang Kong and picked up my new visa. Has this now changed?

Edited by Toon Army

I used to arrive in Thailand with three (3) 60-day tourist visas which were valid for 6 months. I would extend each of the first two tourist visas for 30 days each, doing border hops on the 90th day. On the last day of the 6th month, I would do a border hop to start the 3rd visa. I could then extend that last visa for 30 days. This gave me a total of 9 months between consulate visits.

Edited by Rice_King

A year or two back I did a variation on the Mae Sai run and got a small boat across from Chiang Kong to Huay Xai (Laos) for 20 baht. Needed to get a Laos visa on disembarking ($30) had a look around, something to eat and back to Chiang Kong and picked up my new visa. Has this now changed?

As far as I know the guys at Chiang Kong can't give you a tourist visa, just the thirty day visa exemption. Alternatives to Vientiane are Penang and Phnom Penh.

There's stacks of stuff in the visa section of this forum, perhaps you'd be better advised to look there.

There is no Consulate to issue a tourist visa so if you use that crossing you can return with a visa you already have or obtain visa exempt entry if you qualify - unless you wish to continue your journey to Vientiane. Alternative to Vientiane would be Savannakhet.