Sea Fishing

dsfbrit

We are in Ko Samui - chaweng- for a week and a friend in the group is a keen sea fisherman. We have read the threads relating to sea fishing and it all seems a bit grim. He is thinking about booking one of those sea angling trips for 1300 baht.

You know the ones I mean, they go off in the morning in a group and come back about 5.00 pm.

Are these any fun / good at all - although he is a keen fisherman, he would be quite happy with just a reasonable days fishing. I have a horrible feeling it is just a tourist jaunt and the fishing is poor ??

Also, he has asked me to ask if live bait is essential ie squid.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks in advance...

Hello

Its not sea fishing but Top cats on Samui (South) is fantastic fun, lots of HUGE Catfish and other tropical species..

Search google for fishing in thailand.

Been several times always caught something thats worthy of boasting of down the pub.... Get a taxi as the beer is good to.

The picture is off my little brother with his first Cat fish.. Mekong

post-18852-1195193265_thumb.jpg

Alternatively Koh tao near songserm pier ask for fisherman Mark opposite Master divers...

Hello

Its not sea fishing but Top cats on Samui (South) is fantastic fun, lots of HUGE Catfish and other tropical species..

Been several times always caught something thats worthy of boasting of down the pub.... Get a taxi as the beer is good to.

Alternatively Koh tao near songserm pier ask for fisherman Mark opposite Master divers...

Top cats mega pricey.....4000 bht 6 hours fishing.....4000 bht =half a months bungalow rent...mmmm i choose the latter

Hello

Top cats mega pricey.....4000 bht 6 hours fishing.....4000 bht =half a months bungalow rent...mmmm i choose the latter

Got to agree with with Growler here, much too expensive IMHO. And stiggy you even advertise for Samui Taxi's? Hope you don't mean the "meter" taxi's? :o

If you're on holiday you can afford Top Cats, the fishing is good with lots of big fish.

Koh tao fishing is better than samui.

Samui fishing on the tour boats is a waste of time and will only frustrate someone who is into the sport.

If you want to catch big fish spend the $ and go top cats.......

If you don't mind catching small fish take the local tour boat, but don't expect good equipment. If you wanna get a tan and wet a line, local boat ok, anything more than that and you'll be dissapointed.

Thanks very much for the feedback. He is deciding what to do now and I will let you know what he decided and how it went.

One option he is also considering is hiring a boat for just himself and a couple of others. We bumped into the guy that operates one of the boat companies - the guy just happened to be fishing in the lake in Chaweng an we recognised his van - and he offered my friend a boat to himself for 5000 baht.

If you want good sea fishing then here on Koh Tao its excellent. The top guy here is Khun Daeng. Lived here for ever it seems and knows the best spots to fish. Went ou tthe other day and had a blast. Lots of fish and a BBQ and beers to finish the day off. Pm me if you want his number.

post-24982-1195440661_thumb.jpg

post-24982-1195440721_thumb.jpg

QUOTE ...Top cats mega pricey.....4000 bht 6 hours fishing.....4000 bht =half a months bungalow rent...mmmm i choose the latter

UUMMMm not so 6hrs costs approx 18oo -2000bht ....beer tops it up :D

Anyhow its fishing its arse off right now had 8 fish in 6 hrs largest over 40 kilos. :D:o:D

theres not many places in the world where you may catch a world record whilst getting a little pissed on a sunday afternoon.

H20 dunc is right to Ding on tao is a top lad and will often deliver .

QUOTE ...Top cats mega pricey.....4000 bht 6 hours fishing.....4000 bht =half a months bungalow rent...mmmm i choose the latter

UUMMMm not so 6hrs costs approx 18oo -2000bht ....beer tops it up :D

Anyhow its fishing its arse off right now had 8 fish in 6 hrs largest over 40 kilos. :D:o:D

theres not many places in the world where you may catch a world record whilst getting a little pissed on a sunday afternoon.

H20 dunc is right to Ding on tao is a top lad and will often deliver .

When i turned up to fish,i was quoted 4,000bht for 2 rods for 6 hours...fair enough i thought as i was with a mate,well fish 1 rod each for 2000 bht.each..still pricey....the guide asked the owners dad{owner,forgot his name,nice lad,cockney,was in hospital exhausted}..if this would be ok?...not possible he said...ok ,hes obviously minted i thought,doesnt need 4000 bht for doing sweet fa..,we left it....we did stay for a beer and a pizza{delicious}...bugger all caught whilst we were there for a few hours.....

Hunting for big fish or just wanting to enjoy a sunny day with pals? These local boats take groups out. Prices vary between 600 - 1000 b (depends how many u are, pick up and drop with van). Been there done that - several times. You will only get small ones. And fishing tools are B.C. kind of level. Best part of the trip is company. If you like it tight, trip can surely be as miserable as wished for.

Check for relaxed group and you will have fun even without catching one of the tinyest of fish. Trips I made either included lunch at this smaller island (leaves near the snakefarm) or then dinner when back on mainland (drinks not included). They had snorkling gear for everyone and should you choose to buy beers and other refreshment you can basically bring your own to the boat.

Did also one of these night trips and results were as poor. Don't expect to catch anything bigger of the size of sandwitch and you'll be okay. Fist rule for getting big ones: you need to go further or TopCats or you got be one really lucky fisherman...