Gymnastics At 70

Humphrey Bear

Yesterday I managed one-and-a-half somersaults without any trouble.

It was in the middle of Second Road, outside Lo Yen (Royal Garden Plaza) and I was assisted by a speeding motorbike, but still - I've not done that for years!

Crossing on the striped crossing piece, over to Northern Thai Realty - there were a couple of Sawng Thaews approaching, but plenty of time to get across - until a motorbike appeared doing a minimum of sixty kph

Fortunately all other traffic was going slowly enough to avoid me and I was pulled to the side by a couple of passers-by, then helped home by the motorcycle taxi guys on that side-turning.

Apart from bruises and scrapes I'm OK, probably because I landed on my head.

But the idiot on the bike never stopped (of course), although everyone else was fine. Except my wife - she did the foot-stamping / door-banging routine and refused to allow me out in the evening!

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Glad to hear that you're OK. But perhaps you should be checked by doctor. What about tetanus injection? Your wife is quite right to keep you quiet for a few days - an experience like you had shakes anybody up and especially as we get older.

It was in the middle of Second Road, outside Lo Yen (Royal Garden Plaza) and I was assisted by a speeding motorbike, but still - I've not done that for years!

Any pics? :D:o

(Happy to hear your ok though)

Could do with pix of the mo'bike (that didn't stop).

The good thing about it is that I was concerned that my bones may be getting brittle, but evidently not - so I'll be turning out for the local rugby team when I get back to Saudi.

Quite frankly I've had worse injuries on the rugby field, but there one tends to expect them, or be taking precautions against them. Looking before crossing a main road, establishing that there were no dangers, hurrying across said road on a marked crossing point, I did not expect it. That's what really shook me up.

Any pics? :D:o

(Happy to hear your ok though)

Could do with pix of the mo'bike (that didn't stop).

The good thing about it is that I was concerned that my bones may be getting brittle, but evidently not - so I'll be turning out for the local rugby team when I get back to Saudi.

Quite frankly I've had worse injuries on the rugby field, but there one tends to expect them, or be taking precautions against them. Looking before crossing a main road, establishing that there were no dangers, hurrying across said road on a marked crossing point, I did not expect it. That's what really shook me up.

Zebra crossings don't mean a d**ned thing here in LOS.

Zebra crossings don't mean a d**ned thing here in LOS.

Totally agree with you, but I thought it might be a bit safer than anywhere else on Second Road.

That road surely needs a few pedestrian bridges. We've discussed it before, fruitlessly.

Friends say that worst offenders are farangs on motorbikes - the ones wearing singlets, having tattoed arms, and wearing those German style helmets. They have been known to swear horribly at little old ladies crossing 2nd Road.

I was the one wearing a singlet - accounts for the athleticism.

And I still think that RGP, Avanue Mall and Big C could afford to put pedestrian bridges over 2nd Road - would increase foot traffic by tourists and local farangs.

Opportunities missed!