How To Block Sms Messages

brianbrain

Hi,

I have an Orange pay-as-you-go SIMM card in my mobile phone. For the last couple of months or so I've been receiving SMS messages (in Thai) from caller 9111. I asked a Thai person to translate and she said it was something about sport, or perhaps an advertisement. I get the messages on a regular almost daily basis. Does anyone know how to block? For reference, I can't call the number 9111.

Thanks,

BB

Seems that many Thai GSM operators and sending spam via SMS. Very bad practice, especially when the spam arrives 04:30 in the morning! I have complained to AIS which is my provider. Sending spam to some 16 million subscibers at a rate of 1 Baht each must be a very nice revenue....

Don't ever answer back by SMS either. It seems one person recently discussed doing this and found their phone credit wiped out shortly after. Apparently by answering back you "register" for some kind of service - they start sending you whatever "service" that is until you're wiped out.

kenk3z

Don't ever answer back by SMS either.  It seems one person recently discussed doing this and found their phone credit wiped out shortly after.  Apparently by answering back you "register" for some kind of service - they start sending you whatever "service" that is until you're wiped out.

kenk3z

Thanks for mentioning this! :o

And to the other guys, thanks for your comments. I'll visit the Orange shop and see what they have to say.

Yes. This SMS spamming is getting a big problem.

I got spammed with 15 SMS in 2/3 minutes all costing £1.50 each.

I contacted orange who gave me a number to contact someone else who gave me a number to contact someone else (That cost me a few quid). Eventually someone got back to me and promised a refund. Today 2 weeks later I've received a check from asia bank.

How many people would not have chased after the issue?

These bastards are making big money.

Yes do not reply to these people.

The strange thing is that since posting my original message on this Thai Visa forum the messages have stopped. :o I've deleted every message from my phone, but if they start again as I expect they will do I'll visit the Orange store with the evidence in hand.

It came as no great surprise to me when the messages started again. What is rather more disappointing was the guys working for the Orange shop at Siam told me the messages cannot be blocked. Apparently, Orange CANNOT (I quote) block SMS messages from any number. Strange that. :o By the way, they knew about the 9111 number even before I got beyond saying the number "9" Presumably I am not the first to complain!

Now in their favour I have to say they guys working for Orange were very polite and no doubt would have helped me if they could. I'm rather more doubtful that Orange "cannot" block the messages. I rather suspect the Orange network must make some money from it somewhere.

Oh incidentally, I mentioned the messages from 9111 to a Thai friend. She said she gets them too and she uses Orange. Apparently it's a voting game or something. Press "1" if you agree, "2" if you don't, or something like that. Shame we can't press "3" to say p*ss off! She reckons that spam messages are perhaps worse on some of the other networks. :D