Wine Bar In Bangkok?

manjara

I've been looking for a decent place to drink a bottle of wine; comfortable chairs, decent music, candles, some wine at reasonable prices...

So far the only place I've seen is Chilli Cafe in Thanon Chan, Soi 27 (a bottle is between 700 and 1500 baht)

Does anyone know any other places? Preferably with a river view.

It's one thing I really miss from europe, being able to sit down and have a couple of bottles (with a few friends). Seems like everyone over here drinks lager!! Hmmm, perhaps it says something about the type of tourist that comes here to Bangkok!

V9 Wine Bar at Sofitel Hotel Silom - highly recommended!

Reasonably priced wines (also expensive ones) with great view of Bangkok at night.

Good dinner menu as well but can be pricey!

Enjoy! Cheers :o

I haven't tried the Sofitel, but most of the other hotels also have 'wine bars' or bars that sell wine. Usually it's either ridiculously overpriced cr** or just too expensive (but good wine). I've seen places charging more than 1000 baht for a bottle that would sell for 2.99 back in the UK. Even All Bar One wouldn't stock rubbish like it.

The Wine Bridge on Soi Langsuan sounds more promising, though there are very few details online. I'll give it a try...

I should also give Limoncello a mention on Soi 11, as their basic wine is drinkable, inexpensive and goes great with their pizzas (though I heard that their chef went to open a new place called Basilico - I'll have to go and give that a try too!). The only problem is that they would probably frown on you for having an all evening sitting with a pizza and several bottles of wine (they rarely have any tables free!)

as mentioned by previous posts

v9 is good, it has an exlcusive partnership with wine collection, so even its a hotel bar, the prices are not so overpriced as other well known hotels

wine collection the shop also doubles as a small wine bar where you can sit and enjoy

wine bridge can be very busy at the weekends, not a great place to relax, but a great place for a lively evening

bachus wine bar on ruam rudee soi is also another to add to the list

the other alternative is just to get lucky and shop around, i went to this cake cafe style thai place near my condo and to my surpise and delight they had a wine list with a few great wines, i had a tasty 2001 pinot noir

its all fun right!!

V9 Wine Bar at Sofitel Hotel Silom - highly recommended!

Reasonably priced wines (also expensive ones) with great view of Bangkok at night.

Good dinner menu as well but can be pricey!

Based on the reviews here, I tried V9 at the Sofitel last night. I agree that the views from the 37th floor were great, and the wine was pretty good, with glasses at 250-280 baht. They also had several 3-wine (5 oz) flights that were quite good and were also priced about 250 baht I believe.

My friends and I had a full dinner there. My seared tuna was delicious, but other dishes got mediocore reviews from my friends (Overcooked was the common complaint). And the "can be pricey" comment is right on -- 700-900 baht per dish seemed to be the norm and up to 1500 for a T-bone steak. And that 1.5 liter bottle of water? 210 baht! Unfortuantely we went through two of those.

I'd say visit V9 for the views, the ambiance, and the wine flights. But eat somewhere else.

(I also give seconds to the vote for L'Opera. I love the wine and the food there!)

• 2 months later...

I've been looking for a decent place to drink a bottle of wine; comfortable chairs, decent music, candles, some wine at reasonable prices...

So far the only place I've seen is Chilli Cafe in Thanon Chan, Soi 27 (a bottle is between 700 and 1500 baht)

Does anyone know any other places? Preferably with a river view.

It's one thing I really miss from europe, being able to sit down and have a couple of bottles (with a few friends). Seems like everyone over here drinks lager!! Hmmm, perhaps it says something about the type of tourist that comes here to Bangkok!

Try the new wine bar on Sukumvit Soi 31, Excellent!! There are many to choose from

bachus wine bar on ruam rudee soi is also another to add to the list

highly recommended. vast selection of wine, and other spirits too. if u want to eat, try the tuna steak. Id say its the best Ive had in bangkok :o much better than places like Sirocco. but ofcourse at sirocco u have that amazing view to complement the steak :D

Zannoti or how ever the hel_l you spell it has a wine bar across the street that has a huge wine list priced from 1000 baht to 100000 baht for some of the premier gran crus, ie petrus, margaux, antinori, gaja the have several hundred selections for reasonable prices lots of great bttls for 2000 to 2500 the also have 5 white by the glass 5 red and a couple of chmpss nice place to chill big outdoor area

• 8 months later...
L'Opera wine bar. [Next to the famous L'Opera restaurant]. Great wine, tapas and the Maitre'D knows his wine. Every recommendation has been great. Try a meal in the main restaurant; great food, nice ambience.

http://www.lopera-bangkok.com/

I second Dairy Queens choice of Opera Riserva Wine Bar, its a good place to chill out and relax and the wines are affordable. They usually have some events on Wednesdays, with free fortuneteller, magic show and sometimes live music, they have their own website here http://www.operariserva.com

cheers!

bbp

• 2 months later...

Don't waste your time....

Try Wine Bridge at soi Lang Suan.

I have gone to the Wine Bridge two times in 2008. It has a fair selections of wine, but I really enjoyed the live Thai music, and the people were friendly. Mostly Thai and Japanese, and not many farang, maybe one or two farang the times I was in there. Last Friday night, me and my Thai girlfriend went there about 8:30. To my amazement we were told that we could only sit at the bar, not at at table, unless we were 4 people. The place was virtually empty and the tables empty too. We were told that we could sit at at table but that we would have to move if a group of 4 came in, this is in an empty place too!! We saw a couch in the front and asked about that, and again were told no.

All I can say is that this is totally rediculos, and I have never been treated this way in Thailand before. They have 3 or 4 long tables in front of the band stand, and the other times I was in there, they were sitting couples, threesomes, and more at these tables until they were full. We will never go back there again, even though we live on Lung Suan and it is convienent. Also the owner needs to get a handle on what his staff is telling customers, before they run off all the "couples only" clientel. Addtionally I will do my best to tell this story to as many farang and Thai friends as possible. Maybe when business is good you can afford to allow this kind of attitude, but it is the regular customers that keep you in business, not the trenders. Take care.....

Edited by Aransas

• 9 months later...

If you are a regular visitor or stay here for a few month the Dusit Thani had a wine club i was a member there till a few years ago as i start working more overseas.

Can highly recomend it nice people good food and excellent wines, also the wine maker will be there as well to tell some more background about the wines, and all for a reasonable price, just check with Dusit Thani

Have you tried NUI's on silom road next to holiday inn hotel,good collection of wine,very slow and classy live music,a bit over priced but worth going,(not on river)

OOPS very old topic,no point posting.sorry forum

Edited by yogi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I m just the modest owner of La Terrace du Bonjour a wine & bar place. Our glass of wine start at 99Thb++... nice music, outdoor seating, antimosquito machine and fan with mist. All in a garden with a small lake and 2 swans. Cold cur 199 Thb, cheese plate 299 Thb... Parking in our place or BTS ekkamai. We are on sukhumvit between soi 59 and 61 open everyday from 5pm. up to late. Oh i forgot... actually promotion happy hour between 5 to 8, buy 1 get 1 free... so 1 glass will cost u... less than 50thb :)