Multiple Entry Vs. Single Entry

I am still confused about the types of entries. I am working and have a Type B visa and a work permit. Its single entry. I want to nip out of Thailand during the school break. I think i need to get a re-entry stamp at the airport for about 1000 Baht ? That should make no difference to my work permit/visa status right ?

My confusion arrises from a colleague. He is British (same as me) but has a multiple entry Type B (His work permit has not come through yet) He told me he HAS to leave the country every 90 days.

So my question is, what is the point of the multiple entry ? Its inconvenient for us in Phuket to leave the country every 90 days. I have a single entry and understand i have to report my address only every 90 days but not leave the country. Am i confused ? Am i correct about being ABLE to nip out of LOS with a re-entry permit ?

Well basically you have an extended Visa (with a WP) so yes you'll need a re-entry permit.

Your friend however hasn't got his WP yet and will thus have to exit and re-neter every 90 days until they get their act together!

A multiple entry is handy as it gives your employer longer to drag their feet, sorry I mean get the paperwork in order! :o

Absolutely correct, once you have the WP your permission to stay will be extented, up to one year from the original entry and can be extented as long as your situation with the WP resp. employment is unchanged.

You can get your re-entry-permit at the airport, go a bit earlier as the office, I believe, is in building 1 on the third floor. Alternatively, get your re-entry at the immigration office, takes abt. 1 hour and costs Baht 1000 for single re-entry or Baht 3800 for multiple re-entries. Validity until your orignal permission to stay expires.

Be careful about the assumptions here.

First, forget about your visa - it is irreleveant in this discussion. As a single entry permit that has already been used, it is basically irelevant period - useless.

What are important and your ENTRY PERMIT, and your WORK PERMIT.

In most cases, the expiration date of these two permits will be the same. If they are based on an initial entry permit, they will both be good for 90 days.

If (and only if) you have gone through the process of obtaining an extended entry permit, and also gone through the process of obtaining a matching, extended work permit, then both permits may be good for up to 12 months after the date you last entered Thailand.

You are correct in your understanding that - whatever the expiration date of your entry and work permits - if you depart Thailand while they are valid, and will return to Thailand while they are still valid, you need to obtain a re-entry permit - and you can obtain a single reentry permit at the airport for 1,000 baht (bring a photo).

But - if you will returen to Thailand AFTER the expiration date of your entry and work permits, you will need to first obtain a fresh visa - and you will have to reapply all over again for the work permit.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Chaps. Thanks for the info. The situation is clear now ! Indo-siam - thanks for the tip about the photo. I will try to sort it out at immigration here. I am on the 'extended' visa thing, my work permit was backdated to my original entry into Thailand and is 1 year from that date. Thanks for the info guys. :o

Mark