Rare Vulture Shot Dead In Myanmar After Being Freed In Thailand

sriracha john

2004-10-27-094555.jpg

Cinereous Vulture

Aegypius monachus

*Example only, NOT the one shot dead*

Rare vulture shot dead in Myanmar after being freed in Thailand

BANGKOK, Thailand - A rare vulture set free in northern Thailand is believed to have been shot dead in Myanmar, bringing an end to a haphazard campaign to return the bird to its homeland in Mongolia, a conservationist said Thursday.

Chaiyan Kasorndorkbua, a veterinary who oversaw the year-old cinereous vulture's release, said his team lost contact with the it in May, only three weeks after it was freed in northern Thailand. He then received an e-mail in July, purportedly from a rebel soldier in Myanmar's Shan State, who claimed a villager had killed the bird. The soldier then followed up in September with photos of the vulture's satellite transmitter and leg band that convinced Chaiyan that the bird was dead.

"The soldier told me that the villager had never seen such a bird so became curious and shot it," Chaiyan said. "It is common practice in Southeast Asia when people have gun to shoot and look later. This is a tragedy."

The odds of survival were never good for the ash-gray-colored vulture _ named Anakin after a character in the "Star Wars" movies _ after it was found in southeastern Thailand last December, emaciated and apparently lost.

Veterinarians in Bangkok nursed the bird back to health. Chaiyan then teamed up with Thai Airways and announced plans in March to fly the bird to Mongolia.

But fearing bird flu, China and South Korea refused to let the bird be transported through their capitals, despite tests showing it was free of the deadly virus. The vulture was later freed in northern Thailand near the Myanmar border.

The cinereous vulture _ not normally found in Thailand _ is defined as near-threatened by the World Conservation Union. Its global population is estimated at between 14,400 and 20,000.

- Associated Press

====================

:o

"so became curious and shot it"

"oh look! Never seen that before! Wow what a rare, beautiful, interesting bird! Pass me my rifle"

Where are all the Thai defenders on threads like these?

Damian

Probably tucking into dinner. :o

2004-10-27-094555.jpg

Cinereous Vulture

Aegypius monachus

*Example only, NOT the one shot dead*

Rare vulture shot dead in Myanmar after being freed in Thailand

BANGKOK, Thailand - A rare vulture set free in northern Thailand is believed to have been shot dead in Myanmar, bringing an end to a haphazard campaign to return the bird to its homeland in Mongolia, a conservationist said Thursday.

Chaiyan Kasorndorkbua, a veterinary who oversaw the year-old cinereous vulture's release, said his team lost contact with the it in May, only three weeks after it was freed in northern Thailand. He then received an e-mail in July, purportedly from a rebel soldier in Myanmar's Shan State, who claimed a villager had killed the bird. The soldier then followed up in September with photos of the vulture's satellite transmitter and leg band that convinced Chaiyan that the bird was dead.

"The soldier told me that the villager had never seen such a bird so became curious and shot it," Chaiyan said. "It is common practice in Southeast Asia when people have gun to shoot and look later. This is a tragedy."

The odds of survival were never good for the ash-gray-colored vulture _ named Anakin after a character in the "Star Wars" movies _ after it was found in southeastern Thailand last December, emaciated and apparently lost.

Veterinarians in Bangkok nursed the bird back to health. Chaiyan then teamed up with Thai Airways and announced plans in March to fly the bird to Mongolia.

But fearing bird flu, China and South Korea refused to let the bird be transported through their capitals, despite tests showing it was free of the deadly virus. The vulture was later freed in northern Thailand near the Myanmar border.

The cinereous vulture _ not normally found in Thailand _ is defined as near-threatened by the World Conservation Union. Its global population is estimated at between 14,400 and 20,000.

- Associated Press

====================

:D

i bet it tasted like chicken :o

What a bloody shame.. :o

Here is this very bird being released (along with some Himalayan Griffon Vultures) in Thailand earlier this year..

10th May 2007. 'Fly the Vulture Home Project'. Under the cooperation of The Department of National Park, Wildlife & Plant Conservation,

The Bird Conservation Society of Thailand and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Kasetsart University.

Reminds me of the story a couple of months ago where two Hen harriers were shot dead at one of the royal family's estates in England, a report i read at the time said that Hen harriers are some of the most at-risk birds in the United Kingdom with fewer than 20 breeding pairs in England. :o

Some time ago I was discussing,with a Thai friend, the lack of wildlife in Thailand and Asia in general....compared to Canada.....he told me if it is free and edible ...we have already eaten it...I`m sure this vulture probably looked like a fine meal

He then received an e-mail in July, purportedly from a rebel soldier in Myanmar's Shan State.

how does a burmese rebel soldier get a thai vets email address? :o

what amazing coincedence that the vet turns out to be the same one who has overseen the vultures release? :D

only dr chaiyan kasorndorkbua has the answers - but we will never know.... :D

perhaps contact details were on the satellite transmitter?
As is the case with most specially tagged and released animals... no great mystery.

agreed, but a burmese rebel soldier...? must have smoked more than a couple of the best grown to decipher that info... :D

a private zoo seems plausible.... :o

Some time ago I was discussing,with a Thai friend, the lack of wildlife in Thailand and Asia in general....compared to Canada.....he told me if it is free and edible ...we have already eaten it...I`m sure this vulture probably looked like a fine meal

My wife was shocked when I took her to Canada on holidays and she seen all the wild life running around, she asked me who owned the deer I told her no one did. She couldn't believe there wasn't a gun toting posse going after them to sell at the market.

My wife was shocked when I took her to Canada on holidays and she seen all the wild life running around, she asked me who owned the deer I told her no one did. She couldn't believe there wasn't a gun toting posse going after them to sell at the market.

There are uneducated and ignorant people from all counties, not just Thailand.

"oh look! Never seen that before! Wow what a rare, beautiful, interesting bird! Pass me my rifle"

Damian

The bird was rescued in Thailand and shot in Burma. Repeat: Rescued in Thailand, shot in Burma. You don't miss a chance to diss Thais do you?

Damian

The bird was rescued in Thailand and shot in Burma. Repeat: Rescued in Thailand, shot in Burma. You don't miss a chance to diss Thais do you?

My friend, there are tons of times I keep my mouth shut when I am DYING to say something haha! In this case I shoulda said "where are all the BURMESE defenders on this thread?".... wait, there aren't any...nevermind, my bad! I actually do (if you search) make fun of all nationalities if given the chance heh. Last was dissing the Cambodian with the grenade in the bar. I'm extremely fond of dissing Canadians especially, those ultra politically correct oh so nice and naive ninnys.

Damian

Edited by DamianMavis