Koh Samui To Koh Tao

Went to Koh Tao a couple of days ago with Lompraya - arrived right in time at Maenam Pier to see that they have moved to Bangrak, lucky they started at 8:30 am instead of 8 am!

As I have to go more times to Koh Tao - where can I find an actual boat schedule with timetables, departure pier and prices?

Thank you,

Claude

Went to Koh Tao a couple of days ago with Lompraya - arrived right in time at Maenam Pier to see that they have moved to Bangrak, lucky they started at 8:30 am instead of 8 am! As I have to go more times to Koh Tao - where can I find an actual boat schedule with timetables, departure pier and prices? Thank you, Claude

NEW timetable

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/index.htm

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route.htm

contact for more info

[email protected]

Chayaphum

Locals have to show their id cards that show a local address in order to get a discounted ticket, available only on the midday boats. Non-local Thais and foreigners pay the higher price.

A similar rule is used on the Raja Ferry and I believe, is in force on the islands off Massachusetts in the US. (at least, according to a former local of one of those islands).

The general idea being that people who are from the islands have little choice but to take the boat whereas tourists are not forced to take the boat.

SBK is referring to the fact that there is a double price system on Lompraya Ferry.

SBK, what are you? A local or a farang tourist?

What is a local? I live here, I have a wife, our three kids have also a Thai passport, I work here, I pay taxes here, I am a local. What else?

It might be fair where the tarifs are partly supported by tax payers like public swimming pools and public transport. But here?? F*** this double price system, it is racist. BKK Air do it better, they require a resident card to get lower fares.

At least I pay now the local price for a haircut after I asked the barber why farang must pay 100 THB instead of 60 THB - he was ashamed!

SBK is referring to the fact that there is a double price system on Lompraya Ferry.

SBK, what are you? A local or a farang tourist?

What is a local? I live here, I have a wife, our three kids have also a Thai passport, I work here, I pay taxes here, I am a local. What else?

It might be fair where the tarifs are partly supported by tax payers like public swimming pools and public transport. But here?? F*** this double price system, it is racist. BKK Air do it better, they require a resident card to get lower fares.

At least I pay now the local price for a haircut after I asked the barber why farang must pay 100 THB instead of 60 THB - he was ashamed!

Claude, what discounts do residents get on first & last flight? Do not blame the operators, blame the system that can't give you Thai ID.

I use my Thai driving licence as ID, works most of the time.

Edited by Rooo

Are there 2 ferry's now in Bang Rak? The Sea Trans and the Lompraya right? One (Sea Trans) leaves from the nice new brick pier closer to Big Buddha and the other (Lompraya) leaves off the older wooden pier just a little farther south (about half a kilometer or so). Do they go to the same places? I see a lot of people getting on the Lompraya one and it has the words Bangkok written on it so I assume it cruises all the way up there.

They are 2 different companies right?

You changed your post on me Claude, I answered your post and then you edited it :o

Raja Ferry supplies cards to residents upon request--a photo is required and my husband had to show a copy of our marriage certificate and his id card for me to get one, It was free. Songserm used to supply one at a cost of 100 baht. I don't know if they still do or not. Seatrans, I have no idea, I have never heard of a local price. Lomprayah uses the govt issued id card. Local is defined as a person whose id card is registered on the island so any Thai person who does not have such a registration on their id card pays full price. Locals pay full price for all trips on the Lomprayah except for the mid day one.

This kind of double pricing is common on islands, from my understanding. The idea being that people from the island have no choice but to take the boat.

Well, my bad Claude. I have just been informed by my husband that the Lomprayah Catamaran changed this policy about a week or so ago and now everyone pays the same price. And raised the prices at the same time.

300 Samui-Phangan 350 Phangan-Tao and he's not sure about Samui-Tao but its probably 600.