Expats: How Often Do You Eat Thai Food?

Jingthing

Not counting breakfast, how many Thai food meals do you eat each week?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Once or twice a week is more than sufficient. I only eat it to save money or for something healthy to eat on brown rice (mixed vegetables with tofu).

I do eat a lot of Japanese food and Chinese when I can get it, but Thai food just doesn't ring my bell.

------------------------

Thai food here in the states isn't very good.

However the Thai food in Thailand is something I always enjoy... :o

Thai food rocks!

hard to beat, healthy, anywhere available, at any time and an incredible variety!

Massaman Chicken Curry, Paneng Nuea, SomTam Thai + grilled Chicken + Sticky Rice, Tom Yum Gung, Tom Kaa Gai, Yum Nuea, Pat Kaprao +++, Kao man Gai, Kao na Ped, Satay, Larb +++, anything eatable from the sea in all it's variations... name it, there are so many fabulous and flavorsome dishes in Thailand...!

Occasionally Mexican, Indian, Vietnamese, more often Japanese, here and there any western dish I have a craving for... usually Mediterranean...

I have a Thai partner who has four sisters; they can all cook up a storm at our outside kitchen on the klong, but I hardly ever eat any of that crap. Oh, there's roti in the fridge now - does that count as Thai or Indian food?

It may disagree with you a lot, as you've said in other posts, but "crap" it most certainly is not. Best food in the world (in my opinion), along with French, Italian and Indian.

G

Edited by grtaylor

Presumably Mrs Naam doesn't make Pad Bung Fai Deng which results in a flame about 15 feet high if done properly.

Mrs. Naam is not Thai, has no bloody idea what Pad Bung Fai Deng means and i wouldn't dare to utter the name of that dish in her presence because she might think i am cursing her. the "cooking" capabilities of Mrs. Naam (when i married her 28 years ago) were limited to heating up water and pouring it in a cup in which she put a tea bag :o

a couple of years later my grandmother, my mother and our cook in Nigeria taught her how to prepare german dishes and she was doing quite well. but that was many years ago and nowadays i wouldn't want to rely on any of her cooking! :D

Do you consider fried rice a Thai meal for the sake of this survey?

Of course.

As far as I can make out, you have to totally burn your taste buds to a crisp before you can enjoy Thai food.

Guilty if you like it super hot like I do.

I agree there is lots of variety in Thai food. But there is even more variety in Thai food and every other country's food. I wonder what space alien food tastes like?

Edited by Jingthing

I eat quite a bit of Thai food, but preferably only cooked by my better half; who doesn't feel the urge to load it up with MSG, sugar, and bags of chilis. (Thais will put chilis on aspirins).

There are some really good seafood restaurants near my abode however, and once / weekend will usually find me there. :o

pardon me if i am being obtuse, but why discount breakfast?

Again, just for poll logistics convenience. I also didn't account for the people who eat 10 snacks a day instead of real meals, just not practical to show a pattern. Many people skip breakfast. Breakfast is the meal where it is most common to eat exactly the same thing every day (cereal and milk, rice porridge, eggs and bread. toast and jam, etc.) so I like many food obsessed types don't take it very seriously.

I think the poll as structured did show something clear in quite a vivid graphic way.

Edited by Jingthing

Maybe the poll/question should have asked for the respondents to specify where they live. Those who live outside Thailand will obviously have less access to it.

There is good Thai food and bad Thai food, depending on how it is prepared (the quality of the ingredients, etc.). Good advice with food stalls is to visit the ones that are mobbed regularly because they probably server better food. Except those who put sugar in the broth. :o

I'd probably eat more Thai food, but too much spice gets to me. That's why I generally eat farang food for lunch, much of which my wife and I prepare in our kitchen.

As for skipping breakfast, I read recently that skipping breakfast is not good for weight loss. I eat a cold fiber-rich farang breakfast because it is convenient and helps my system. Plus, other than joke, I can't take spicy Thai food before lunch! :D

Like an earlier poster, for Thai food, I depend on the missus, and that is usually steamed fish, so not too sure how Thai that really is. On the other hand, the sauce she makes for it is fantastic, so I guess that counts as Thai.

Joke - Blah ( and people say Western food is bland)

We do the once a month out at a local restaurant that does some decent Isaan food and used to do a night down by the river. Street food, I used to eat, but where I work, it's crap, so I stopped. The missus has developed as much a taste as I anyway for upscale, well-prepared delights from the culinary heritages of Italy, France and Japan, so more and more, when we do escape the kids for the evening, it is for something of that nature.

The rest I pretty much cook myself, when I am eating healthy anyway, and that is never Thai as I have an arsenal of personal favorites already.

Dr. B

I only eat Thai food once in a while and only when I know in advance that there is no putrified fish sauce in it. This is not always easy to determine when dining in a restaurant.

I prefer Vietnamese, Chinese, Malay, Indian and Indonesian food.

My favourite is Italian.

Everyday would be my answer to the question. Thai food has so much variety if your willing to try it. The only problem is I can't get my head round everything has to be sweet ?? Ok for the obvious cakes etc but not sandwiches & "savoury" dishes.

The only problem is I can't get my head round everything has to be sweet ?? Ok for the obvious cakes etc but not sandwiches & "savoury" dishes.

A lot of what we would consider a main dish is considered "canom", or dessert, to Thais. This is one reason why "pizza" is often made with sweetened tomato sauce. I think another problem is too many Thai youngsters are fed sweetened milk from a young age. They are not weened off their sweet tooth and this has played a role in obesity and diabetes here.

Maybe the poll/question should have asked for the respondents to specify where they live. Those who live outside Thailand will obviously have less access to it.

This is covered because the poll is for EXPATS in Thailand only, for that very reason.

Maybe I misread, but several respondents didn't seem to be in Thailand and were talking about what they eat in their home country. :o

Edited by Upcountry

So it seems the original premise that "most of us don't eat Thai food" was wrong.

This isn't a contest, just a poll with a discussion, but what I said which you conveniently failed to represent correctly is:

I find most of us don't eat Thai food ALL THE TIME

You see how leaving out those last three words TOTALLY changes the meaning?

Oy vey!

Edited by Jingthing

We presently live in the US. I cook breakfast, my wife handles dinner. Breakfast is standard fare, but dinner is a culinary delight. My wife cooks Thai and cooks well. (aroy mak mak)

My stomach is very happy. There isn't much sold in Thailand that isn't sold here in our myriad of asian farmers markets. The few things she can't get here ( mostly favorite spices)are brought back in luggage. We finally have beer Chang in stores, so I'm happy.

I will do the occasional lasagna, chicken pot pie, thankgiving dinner, etc but now concentrating on my baking, pies breads and cookies

By thai food , i presume , you mean what is available, so unless someone is a KFC/McD/Pizza nut living here you'll eat thai food day to day.. Now WHAT would be thai breakfast i wonder ?!?>> Unless it's a hotel's buffet i have hard time thinking>Now here i'd luv the thai-chinese type with bread like & soya stuff what it's called.. or Cambodian breakfast with baguettes, now THAT's YUMMY :o