Mercury On Phurua Mountain Drops To -1 C

Jai Dee

Mercury on Phurua Mountain drops to -1 C

Loei - The temperature on top of the Phurua Mountain is this northern province dropped to -1 Celsius degree Thursday night.

About 100 tourists visit the mountain each day to enjoy the cold weather and watch frosts early morning.

While tourists said the temperature on the mountain dropped to -1 C Thursday night, Loei weather forecaster Khamphan Butraj said the temperature on Phurua has been about 5 C for several days.

Source: The Nation - 30 November 2007

Loei announces cold-spell disaster zones

The provincial administration of this northern provinces Friday announced cold-spell disaster zones in 14 districts.

Suthep Maneechote, Loei chief disaster mitigation officer, said the temperature in the province has been below 15 Celsius degree for three consecutive days, so the province announced its 14 districts disaster zones.

The announcement allowed the provincial administration to provide urgent help to the people affected by the cold spell.

He said the provincial administration has provided blankets to about half of the people in need bout about 50,000 more still need help.

Source: The Nation - 30 November 2007

We have no heat in our house here and I CAN tell you that it does get cold. My wife made fun of me in past years for complaining about the cold. I was looking for some kind of heating system and she says we didn't need it. I guess she has been living with me too long because this year she mentioned that MAYBE we should look for some way to get some heat in the house. Every year up here people bring in their charcoal burning pots and they go to sleep and never wake up.

They don't have electric space heaters available in the building supply stores?

It would seem the least expensive and dangerous option IMO.

Pop it on for an hour in the morning when you get up and warms the room nicely until the sun takes over.

I wouldn't expect it would be needed for more that a dozen or two mornings out of the year?

Take heart. It's supposed to get down to -9 F, -22 C here in Wisconsin tomorrow night.

A bit early this year for the really cold weather to start.

~Steve

They don't have electric space heaters available in the building supply stores?

It would seem the least expensive and dangerous option IMO.

Pop it on for an hour in the morning when you get up and warms the room nicely until the sun takes over.

I wouldn't expect it would be needed for more that a dozen or two mornings out of the year?

Take heart. It's supposed to get down to -9 F, -22 C here in Wisconsin tomorrow night.

A bit early this year for the really cold weather to start.

~Steve

I have lived in Thailand for over 6 years and have never seen an electric space heater anywhere...not in people's houses and not in stores and not for sale. This is the tropics. There are probably a few for sale somewhere but genereally speaking, no, they are not available. If they were commonly available I'm sure that the posters here would have the intelligence and ability to walk to the local hardware store and buy one.....in some cases maybe not....but most would.

Maybe a business idea to import a few hundred and sell them, next year same storie...or..make them..lots of stores selling the infra red heater stuff...

Here in khao yai it was 15C..., had some friends sitting with me in our outdoor restaurant...just took some jackets and we could enjoy our drinks and chat...we dont smoke in the house so have to sit outdoors to smoke...bit chilly...few drinks will warm also

rono

I have lived in Thailand for over 6 years and have never seen an electric space heater anywhere...not in people's houses and not in stores and not for sale. This is the tropics. There are probably a few for sale somewhere but genereally speaking, no, they are not available. If they were commonly available I'm sure that the posters here would have the intelligence and ability to walk to the local hardware store and buy one.....in some cases maybe not....but most would.

I'm not questioning the intelligence or abilities of the posters, some of whom I respect very highly

Surprising that none are available and it does sound like a market that could be tapped in my mind.

The basic "barn heater" types that I see in my neck of the woods in the Midwest are simple and inexpensive devices and would fill the bill quite nicely for occasional heat sources. Small and yet warm a room quickly.

It would be a niche market restricted to the north and northeast for a few months of the year but I can imagine some enterprising person would give that a try.

~WISteve