Australian Immigration Visa Requirements.

I'm currently thinking about selling up in Bangkok and returning to Australia with my Thai wife ( wedding certificate ) What I would like to know is what is the major requirements when applying for this visa. I'm 62 and my wife is 51, I own my own home in Australia and I have a large retirement fund that gives me AU$620 tax free and rent free per week. Would my wifes age be against her considering my age when applying for such a visa to live in Australia. I know about the full medical check up and the cost of around 50,000 baht all up for the visa application, we would have no problems there but it's the age and financial situation that concerns me and I don't want my wife to go to work again as she worked so hard to support her kids when her husband was killed in a motor bike accident at a young age, her kids are adults now so they wouldn't come under consideration. My wife has been to Australia two times, the first on a 3 months visa and the second on a 6 months visa and she was then told no more holiday visas next time you must apply for a spouse visa

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your wifes age would not go against her...You need to show proof of an ongoing and genuine relationship. This can be shown from letters, photos, cards etc...read the Partner Migration Booklet on the Immi website, that will give you the requirements. Your financial situation shouldnt be a drawback...you will need to show proof of that as well as your home ownership etc...

I'm currently thinking about selling up in Bangkok and returning to Australia with my Thai wife ( wedding certificate ) What I would like to know is what is the major requirements when applying for this visa. I'm 62 and my wife is 51, I own my own home in Australia and I have a large retirement fund that gives me AU$620 tax free and rent free per week. Would my wifes age be against her considering my age when applying for such a visa to live in Australia. I know about the full medical check up and the cost of around 50,000 baht all up for the visa application, we would have no problems there but it's the age and financial situation that concerns me and I don't want my wife to go to work again as she worked so hard to support her kids when her husband was killed in a motor bike accident at a young age, her kids are adults now so they wouldn't come under consideration. My wife has been to Australia two times, the first on a 3 months visa and the second on a 6 months visa and she was then told no more holiday visas next time you must apply for a spouse visa

You would are a mature age couple legally married in Thailand and you should have no problems. Depending on how long you have been married and resided overseas yourwife may be able to apply for permanent residence sub class 100 and the 2 year temporary 309 visa may not apply. Recommend that you contact DIAC at the Australian Embassy.

Interesting thread.

I'm wondering why Mason45 would have doubts re the approval of an application due to the age of his wife?

When making her (the spouse), application, I imagine the process is now in the "arena" of Australian jurisdiction and if in any way the application was refused due to "age" would she be being discriminated against?

gburns/david, has there been cases in the past where the age of the Thai spouse, has come into play, even where all other aspects of the application are in order?

I'll be right up-front here in saying that my partner is a lot younger than myself and you will note from the other thread where we have been chatting on recently, we are not far from applying ourselves.

I am very confident of all aspects of our 2 year relationship, with adequate proof etc etc., I hope that this 'age' thing is not an issue.

I would imagine I'm not alone here in that numerous "genuine" relationships display a big difference in age!

Age is not an issue at all....however sometimes age can bring health issues into play...as long as both are as healthy as could be expected then it will not be a problem.

There was a long time ago a situation where a much older sponsor applied for his PI wife to stay here, this was before the current rules and regs were in place, so please dont confuse what I am saying. Anyway she was here and they applied for a visa after they married here.....The Immi dept at the time actually asked the lady's very young son if there were sleeping together...this caused a big hue and cry in the media and changed the way the Dept was allowed to investigate applications.

But as for the applicants age, I cant recall anything about that. What they are concerned about is if the applicant will be a drain on the Oz medical and hospital systems.

Yes, I was thinking that the "age" thing was going along the lines of 'Medicare' useage and I do recall a long time back this type of situation was actually brought to the surface.

But, as you suggest, these days even the department would have to be somewhat careful in how they apply a refusal if it looked as though they were getting into the area of very personal issues.

In the two years of our time together, one largish discussion my partner and I have had, was how older (usually male) partner compared to the Asian female partner relationships are judged in Australia.

I got a very quick and definate answer that in Thailand it is not an issue at all, regardless of whether it is a Thai-Thai or Farang-Thai marriage.

Another timeline question you may be able to help me with, with much thanks for the responses on the other thread.

My partner and I have last June gone through the Buddhist ceremony, with many photos in hand.

Obviously before fronting the Oz department in Bangkok for a Spouse visa, we need to register a marriage.

I understand that this is mainly done at the local amphur in our case Chaiyaphum.

Do I need to do anything prior to 'up-country' with the Australian Embassy in Bangkok?

I have Divorce Papers from Australia and imagine they will need to be translated, but I'm not sure what needs to be done, if I need to visit Australian authorities as well before the amphur.

Another timeline question you may be able to help me with, with much thanks for the responses on the other thread.

My partner and I have last June gone through the Buddhist ceremony, with many photos in hand.

Obviously before fronting the Oz department in Bangkok for a Spouse visa, we need to register a marriage.

I understand that this is mainly done at the local amphur in our case Chaiyaphum.

Do I need to do anything prior to 'up-country' with the Australian Embassy in Bangkok?

I have Divorce Papers from Australia and imagine they will need to be translated, but I'm not sure what needs to be done, if I need to visit Australian authorities as well before the amphur.

Would ask the Mods if this can be a separate thread from here....I think it maybe relevent to a few guys.

Personally I dont have experience in the Thai marriage side of things and registering after the ceremony.

I will handball this over to anyone else who has experience in this area.

Interesting thread.

I'm wondering why Mason45 would have doubts re the approval of an application due to the age of his wife?

When making her (the spouse), application, I imagine the process is now in the "arena" of Australian jurisdiction and if in any way the application was refused due to "age" would she be being discriminated against?

gburns/david, has there been cases in the past where the age of the Thai spouse, has come into play, even where all other aspects of the application are in order?

I'll be right up-front here in saying that my partner is a lot younger than myself and you will note from the other thread where we have been chatting on recently, we are not far from applying ourselves.

I am very confident of all aspects of our 2 year relationship, with adequate proof etc etc., I hope that this 'age' thing is not an issue.

I would imagine I'm not alone here in that numerous "genuine" relationships display a big difference in age!

In your case you could apply for a spouse visa on a defacto basis. Age might apply if the sponsor was 60 and the applicant was 21 and had only been in a relationship for a very short time, but the reason for refusal would not be age but "relationship not regarded as genuine and ongoing."

Would ask the Mods if this can be a separate thread from here....I think it maybe relevent to a few guys.

Personally I dont have experience in the Thai marriage side of things and registering after the ceremony.

I will handball this over to anyone else who has experience in this area.

We could do a pinned topic Burnsie, it has been covered many times before, but as the posts age they slip away.

I have been thru the whole scenario of getting married in LOS, the 309 visa then PR and My Wife voted in the recent elections, so am am aware of situ.

Back on topic, if you guys want to start a topic specific to this process, lets do it, I can pin it and we add some input, any takers?

David, on the present posts, could you please tell me what you mean by the reference to "applying for a Spouse Visa on a defacto basis".

Maybe my ignorance, but I'm not sure where this comes into it.

My spouse and I have had a solid 2 year relationship, with us living together much more often than not, with me 'more' in Thailand than Australia.

I suppose between, October 05 and June 07, this period in 'western terms' would be known as 'engagement'

Following the Buddhist ceremony in June (which I know is not official), we intend to do the legal marriage thing at the amphur, after which we will apply for the Spouse Visa.

I came back to Oz in October to collect divorce papers which were in the mail system, being held with my other mail by Australia Post.

I know I need to present the Divorce Certificate, when we apply for our forth-coming marriage.

So I'm really a tad confused here as to where the term defacto fits, as I imagine what we are in the process of doing, would be the normal run of events.

Spouse visa and defacto visa use the same application form, just tick a different box.

You could go the de facto route if you meet the requirements....you need to have co habited as man and wife for the entire 12 months prior to the application, Any separation must be proved to have been temporary.

The way you intend to go is ok as well....once you have the registered marriage then you can go for the spouse visa.

Either way you will need to show evidence of the ongoing and continuing relationship.

We could do a pinned topic Burnsie, it has been covered many times before, but as the posts age they slip away.

I have been thru the whole scenario of getting married in LOS, the 309 visa then PR and My Wife voted in the recent elections, so am am aware of situ.

Back on topic, if you guys want to start a topic specific to this process, lets do it, I can pin it and we add some input, any takers?

Hi Bronco

The thread has took a different turn and didnt go the way I was expecting it to...may as well leave it be now.

David, on the present posts, could you please tell me what you mean by the reference to "applying for a Spouse Visa on a defacto basis".

Maybe my ignorance, but I'm not sure where this comes into it.

My spouse and I have had a solid 2 year relationship, with us living together much more often than not, with me 'more' in Thailand than Australia.

I suppose between, October 05 and June 07, this period in 'western terms' would be known as 'engagement'

Following the Buddhist ceremony in June (which I know is not official), we intend to do the legal marriage thing at the amphur, after which we will apply for the Spouse Visa.

I came back to Oz in October to collect divorce papers which were in the mail system, being held with my other mail by Australia Post.

I know I need to present the Divorce Certificate, when we apply for our forth-coming marriage.

So I'm really a tad confused here as to where the term defacto fits, as I imagine what we are in the process of doing, would be the normal run of events.

What is a de facto relationship

The Family Law Act defines a de facto relationship as one where a man and woman live together as spouses in a genuine domestic basis, although they are not legally married to each other.

If you register your marriage in Thailand you will need to make a Statutory Declaration at the Consular section of the Aust. Embassy that you are free to marry, they will supply form in the correct format. Fee 470THB.

This document along with your divorce papers will have to be translated and then certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). Fee for certification 800THB.

Next you can arrange an appointment at the Amphur Office to register the Marriage. You will need an interpreter also if you do not speak fluent Thai. You will receive two identical numbered certificates in Thai.There is a small fee for these 20/40 THB.

Translation costs vary about 400THB per A4 page is a guide in Bangkok. Costs current 2005.

Once again, thanks all round.

One extra question from David's post above re Interpreter at the Amphur Office:

No, I don't speak Thai in a functional sense at all, but my 'to be' wife speaks and can write very good english.

Do we still need the Interpreter?

Edited by fishhooks

Once again, thanks all round.

One extra question from David's post above re Interpreter at the Amphur Office:

No, I don't speak Thai in a functional sense at all, but my 'to be' wife speaks and can write very good english.

Do we still need the Interpreter?

It may be a requirement that that the interpreter is a third party as his/her name is documented by the official carrying out the registration.It might pay for your future wife to contact the Amphur Office.

In my case the interpreter was my brother-in law. All documents and interogation (questioning) are in Thai. Your marriage will have been in accordance with the Thai Civil and Commercial Code.

Hmm., Okay thanks David, so many things to consider, but all okay if that's what you have to do, so be it.

Getting another Thai/English Interpreter in this little ThepSathit village may be a bit of an exercise, but probably no more than all the other things on the drawing board.

By the way, went to my local Immigration Office, Dandenong, which is only a 10 minute drive from my home and paid the Spouse Application fee.

Very helpful guy at the info desk, without me asking, handed me all the various docos including Partner info booklet, even though I said I had most of them anyway.

Amongst the bundle were a few 888 Stat Decs.

I verified with him if these 888's were the correct form to use for an off-shore app. and he said they were actually preferred, as the department in and out of Australia like to keep everything as standard as possible.

So not wishing to labour the point as we went through it fairly fully elsewhere, but hoping this

may help with similar enquiries.

Hmm., Okay thanks David, so many things to consider, but all okay if that's what you have to do, so be it.

Getting another Thai/English Interpreter in this little ThepSathit village may be a bit of an exercise, but probably no more than all the other things on the drawing board.

By the way, went to my local Immigration Office, Dandenong, which is only a 10 minute drive from my home and paid the Spouse Application fee.

Very helpful guy at the info desk, without me asking, handed me all the various docos including Partner info booklet, even though I said I had most of them anyway.

Amongst the bundle were a few 888 Stat Decs.

I verified with him if these 888's were the correct form to use for an off-shore app. and he said they were actually preferred, as the department in and out of Australia like to keep everything as standard as possible.

So not wishing to labour the point as we went through it fairly fully elsewhere, but hoping this

may help with similar enquiries.

If you want to use the form 888s get them filled in and witnessed according to DIAC requirements before you go to Thailand.

When I applied all enquiries where with DIAC Bangkok, the office where the application was lodged.

I have been following this thread with interest over the past few days as I am also in the early stages of getting a spouse visa for my wife. I am in Oz presently and would like to get as much as I can done here before I head over there shortly to submit the application with her. My question to all that read this particular thread is when to do the medical and police checks. Can they be done in advance so that maybe this may hasten the processing time. Or do you have to wait for the application to be submitted and the embassy tells her to go and have a medical and xray. Secondly, in our case we live up country and will have to travel to Khon Kaen to get the medical done. Does an appointment need to be made to have the medical or can you just show up and wait in the queue like in most thai clinics.

Thanks for any advice and will be watching this thread more closely now

I have been following this thread with interest over the past few days as I am also in the early stages of getting a spouse visa for my wife. I am in Oz presently and would like to get as much as I can done here before I head over there shortly to submit the application with her. My question to all that read this particular thread is when to do the medical and police checks. Can they be done in advance so that maybe this may hasten the processing time. Or do you have to wait for the application to be submitted and the embassy tells her to go and have a medical and xray. Secondly, in our case we live up country and will have to travel to Khon Kaen to get the medical done. Does an appointment need to be made to have the medical or can you just show up and wait in the queue like in most thai clinics.

Obtain the partner migration package from VFS. There is a small charge for this payable in THB. This package has all the DIAC forms required. In this package is the form for a Thai police clearance for your wife and the form for the medical. The medical can be obtained after the application has been submitted, the Embassy will advise your wife by letter.

There is generally no need to make an appointment at the BNH hospital the medical costs about 2200THB and they will forward the documents including the chest X ray to the Embassy. Otherwise you can obtain the medical and submit with your application. Take all financial information for spousal support along with telephone accounts etc. Translations will be required for all Thai documents.

You should be able to collect all documents and submit within 20 working days to VFS. Payment in THB by bank cheque.

sezzo,

if you are currently in Oz I wold suggest going to your nearest Immigration office and pick up the application forms there.

At least you can begin filling in your sponsors form at your leisure. Pay the application fee at the same time (they take Visa)as this will be one less headache over there for those of us who get easily stressed and make sure you take the receipt with you.Make sure you take a certified copy of said receipt in case those idiots at the application centre happen to misplace it Down load the Partner migration booklet from the Departments website (this will save you $10)

Goodluck

Sezzo

Applied for spouse visa in October similar to you. I was in 2 minds whether to get the medical done before lodging application. I too was in Austrlia and travelled to Thailand to get all the paperwork done, didnt think the girlfriend would handle it, glad i did as thier was lots to do, 3 children involved also. After looking at medical paperwork decided to wait until we lodged paperwork to get medicals done.

For some reason i was under impression only children over 11 or 13 required a medical, not correct all children had to have a medical. So girlfriend and 14 year old son met me in Bangkok and we lodged papers at visa application centre, we then realised we had to get medicals for 3 children, youngest 2 were in Kalasin.

We lodged papers on a Friday, flew to Khon Khan on the Friday evening and then went to the Khon Khan hospital on the Saturday. I made grilfriend ring hospital to see if appointment neccessary and if they work Saturday, wife assured me they do, she called and silly farang no nothing because appointment not required, just have to get there before 4pm.

We had to get passport photos for youngest 2 Satuday morning in Khon Khan and this took a while to find a place, there was none at Big C.

Cant remember the name of the hospital but it just off the main road that runs nth/sth through Khon Khan. We rocked up and you go up to first floor and wife did medical and the three children. Did take a while or it seemed a while looking after three kids. Had to wait about 10 minutes before they started examinations.

All over and we go have eat ( must be 2 hrs since they last ate), i ask what we do now and am told we have to go back and get results, not sure if this normal but one of the children has a specific medical condition that she wanted the results to. Cant remember the excact cost but wife as happy, less than she thought it would be, in our experience no problem doing medical in Khon Khan.

The next week wife got call from embassy to go back to interview in Bangkok approc 2 1/2 weks after lodging application. Some points from interview, questions asked about your family, where you met and have travelled together, in my written statement i had written i put that i especially like thai food and the way the girlfriend cooked a certain thai meal, the interviewing officer asked what my favourite thai meal was, the only thing i did wrong was that i had not brought the wedding ring and the embassy officer asked if she had a ring, off course i was cheap charlie for not buying ring?

I confirmed with interviewing officer that they had received medicals from Khon Khan so having medical done in Khon Khan did not hold up process.

Because of one of the children medical condition we are still waiting.

I will make a post about our experience when we sort it all out. We may have to leave one child in Thailand or make some sort of committment to future medical expenses, as you could imagine its adding stress to an alrady stressful process.

Anyone else been through the process where a child has a medical condition that may incurr future. costs,

Sezzo,

My advice is get the medical checks and police clearance done before lodging the application...it will take between one and two weeks for the checks and clearances to get to the Embassy. It also starts the clock ticking as the entry date on approval starts from the date the Embassy receives the first documentation, not the date you lodge the application. The entry date is one year from the first documentation to be received.

The Hospital checks will be sent on to the Embassy by the hospital, They will also have the forms required at the hospital.

The Police clearance can only be done in Bangkok, They will post it to the Embassy or to your home address for a small fee or you can wait about a week and go back and pick it up. They also have the forms for the application. The actual clearance is free.

You may want to consider if you want to do the both while in Bangkok....My wife had to make an appointment at the Hospital in Bangkok for her and my 12yo stepson....Whether you need an appointment is upto the hospital where you get the checks done....however once you have decided where to get them done, if you have to ring to find out if an appointment is necessary you may as well make one anyway.

It doesnt take long to fill out the sponsors form...however...getting the migration pack in Oz will allow you to ensure that you take the right evidence to Thailand with you so you can negate any substantial delays. You can download the booklet and the forms from the website...however you need to do that probably just before you lodge the application. I had to redo mine as the forms had been changed from the time my wife bought the application pack and the time she lodged it. another delay as I had to download it, fill it out and send it to her.....a tip here...the website copy is changed before the application packs are renewed.

Edited by gburns57au

Thanks gburns57

I have already started gathering the info back here in Oz. A aussie mate who lives close to us in Thailand is also going to apply for a visa for his wife and therefore will be taking my wife and son with them to BKK for police checks and Kohn Kaen for medicals. That helps us heaps. I will gather all the relevant info this end and then in feb drive down to BKK and submit it all with her. Good tip about the forms as the one I have is about 2 years old now. Im going to the immigration dept here in Canberra on monday to get the latest editions.

Thanks again

Carl

http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/DIMA13.html

Partner Migration Visa

Spouse visa is for applicants who are either legally married to or in a de facto relationship with their partners

Prospective Marriage (fiancée) visa is for applicants who are engaged to be married to their eligible sponsors and they intend to marry within 9 months after the visa is granted

Interdependency visa (including same-sex partners) is for applicants and sponsors who are in a same sex relationship or a couple who are mutually dependent on each other

Applications may be lodged in person at the Australian Visa Application Centre, by mail or courier to the Australian Embassy or in person by prior appointment at the Australian Embassy. See: Lodging visa applications

You will be advised if an interview is required to assist in finalising your application.

Documents required for a complete application

You may be asked to provide further documents or information relating to your particular circumstances after your application has been lodged. The list of supporting documentation below is not exhaustive. You may also include additional documents if they are relevant to your application. You should provide original documents and a set of clear copies. All originals will be returned to you after the copies have been certified. You should also provide an English translation of any document in another language.

• Form 47SP – completed in English and signed by the applicant

• Form 40SP – completed in English and signed by the sponsor

• A non-refundable Visa Application Charge (VAC) payable either by cashier’s cheque (if purchased in Bangkok or Nonthaburi, Samutprakarn provinces) or Bank Draft (only if purchased in Thailand) payable to Australian Embassy Bangkok in Thai Baht. Personal cheques are not acceptable. See current Visa Charges.

• Two passport photographs of each person included in the application

• Birth certificates, identity card, household registration for the applicant (and each person included in the application) as well as copies of the details page including photograph of the passports (if available) of all people included in this application and non-migrating children aged under 18 years. Please ensure the passport details are correct. The names must be correctly spelled and all other details must match your other documentation.

• Official name/surname change certificates for all name changes for all persons included in the application

• Death certificates of any deceased children and previous spouses and if applicable, all divorce certificate(s)

Health and Character Clearances

• Medical results for the principal applicant and all persons included in the application and all non-migrating children aged under 18 years whether they are in the applicant’s custody or not. The approved forms must be used. The examination must be undertaken by a doctor who is on the list of approved Panel Doctors.

The medical forms may be obtained from the Australian Visa Application Centre at any time and the medicals may be undertaken in advance of the lodgement of the application, however, you should note that in the event the application is refused no refund of the cost of the medicals is possible.

• Original police clearance certificate(s) from every country the applicants (if aged 16 years and over) have resided in for a total of 12 months or more during the last 10 years. Details are available on form 47P.

Specific forms to apply Australian police clearances are also available at the Australian Visa Application Centre.

The application for a Thai police clearance may be made at the Special Branch Bureau, Royal Thai Police Headquarters, Rama I Road, Bangkok, building 24. Application forms and detailed instructions are also available at that location.

• Military service and/or discharge papers

• If a serving member of a military force, a good conduct certificate

Evidence of Relationship

• Written statement from the applicant detailing the history of the relationship i.e. how, when and where the first meeting took place and how the relationship developed

• Written supporting statements from at least two people who are Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia and who know you and your sponsor. These statements can be made on form 888 or as a Statutory Declaration.

• Evidence of contact/relationship with the sponsor (for example: letters with original envelopes, emails, telephone bills, photographs, money transfers, etc.)

• The marriage certificate, if married

• Evidence that the relationship has existed for a minimum of 12 months before the lodgement date of the application, if applying as de facto spouse

Prospective Marriage (Fiancée)

• A letter from an authorised marriage celebrant stating date and venue of the marriage ceremony and confirmation that a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) has been lodged with the celebrant

• Official document issued by district office to confirm the applicant’s single status or that the applicant is free to marry the sponsor

• Physical evidence that the applicant had met the sponsor in person before the time the application was lodged such as photographs.

Custody and Parental Consent for Migrating Children

• Documents to verify the custody of all children included in this application, i.e. Divorce memorandum or Por.Khor 14 or death certificate if one of the child’s parents is deceased

• A written statement from the non-migrating custodial parent or legal guardian of each child consenting to the grant of a visa for that child to migrate permanently to Australia with the applicant. A certified copy of the other parent’s passport or identification card must also be provided

Information and documents required from the sponsor

• 1 passport photograph

• Evidence of Australian citizenship or permanent resident status or of being an Eligible New Zealand Citizen. An Eligible New Zealand Citizen is described on form 40SP and in booklet 1, Partner Migration. An Eligible New Zealand Citizen is also required to complete health and character checking

• Evidence that may establish the sponsor’s financial ability to provide settlement support to the applicant(s) (eg. Evidence of employment, Tax assessment notices, business documents if self-employed, superannuation documents if self-funded retiree). If insufficient evidence is provided an Assurance of Support may be requested

• If applicable, all divorce certificate(s)

Visa application processing time

You can expect a decision on your application within 3 months from the day you lodge your application. The processing time may take longer if the application was incomplete at the time of application or if there are other issues with your application such as character issues relating to previous immigration history or criminal convictions, child custody issues, or if further medical checks are required. If your application is likely to take longer than 4 months you will be fully informed of the reason for any delays.

If you wish to discuss any matter face to face with an officer of the Visa and Immigration Office you can make an appointment by telephone 02 344 6449.

See DIAC website for further detailed information about Partner Visa Options

Note In my case I/We were not required to supply 888 forms as we did not meet the criteria to submit them

• Written supporting statements from at least two people who are Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia and who know you and your sponsor. These statements can be made on form 888 or as a Statutory Declaration.

Note In my case I/We were not required to supply 888 forms as we did not meet the criteria to submit them

Interesting paragraph here.....Two years ago and even one year ago the standard stat decs were being accepted...However we have had one member here just recently who was asked to supply the 888 forms by the case officer and I know of others who were also asked to supply the 888 forms. This may be because the case officer was being pedantic or it may have been an internal directive given to the case officers. We dont know...

Therefore in order to try and avoid any delays it is advisable to provide the Embassy with 888 forms in the first instance.

David....two years is a long time in the Immi business and many changes can occur in that time. What was relevant when you applied may not be relevant now.

Great topic with with good advice, let's hope we can keep this alive with those of us applying in the near future keeping each other updated.

One small question pops up with regard to getting the medicals done before the application is presented?

I thought I read somewhere on the board, may not have been recently, that it's a really good idea to have a case/file number (which can only be done on presenting the application), before the medical & police clearance is done.

I guess to save any mix-up when the docs are sent to the embassy!

Any thoughts on this?

I guess one can wait and get all docs in hand and put in with the application, thus the only problem could be if the clearances are mailed to the embassy.

Edited by fishhooks

Some good info and advice in particular from gburns57au and wilbur4343. Thanks a lot for all that. I am off to the immigration dept here in Canberra on monday to ask about some stuff bought up in this topic. I will post the results here next week.

Keep up the good work and hopefully we will all get "our" visas successfully.

Great topic with with good advice, let's hope we can keep this alive with those of us applying in the near future keeping each other updated.

One small question pops up with regard to getting the medicals done before the application is presented?

I thought I read somewhere on the board, may not have been recently, that it's a really good idea to have a case/file number (which can only be done on presenting the application), before the medical & police clearance is done.

I guess to save any mix-up when the docs are sent to the embassy!

Any thoughts on this?

I guess one can wait and get all docs in hand and put in with the application, thus the only problem could be if the clearances are mailed to the embassy.

The medicals go to the Embassy, you cant take possession of them. They will be held on a file and entered in the system....as soon as your application is received and entered it will bring up the system that there is a medical and/or police clearance under that name.

Some may have been lost but I would suspect that, that was due to incorrect spelling on some documents which can happen in Thailand. I have only heard one case of the medicals being lost.