The King's Yellow Cadillac

corkscrew

Because he can. Let's not discuss him; just his car. It was magnificent, and all four doors looked lengthened, for ease of getting in and out. I told my Thai partner how Cadillac was the most famous, expensive and largest, American car. I've also seen Lincoln sedans in the royal fleet (at Hua Hin), and of course there was a Maybach during the 60th year festivities, and numerous Rolls Royce convertibles.

I don't keep up with luxury American automobiles, but I can't think of a stock, four-door convertible since President Lyndon B. Johnson drove his around the Johnson ranch, beer in hand (which was legal then!). I believe Lancia had a four door convertible in the 1950's (Flaminia, perhaps?). For years, there were no stock American ragtop sedans, and I think one year the available drop-heads in the USA were the Volkswagen Cabrio and the R-R Corniche, both imports!

:o Why as why yellow color or as why Cadilliac?

And still don't know what's your point :D

Yellow, of course, is the King's colour. But, why a Cadillic....I did not think they were even for sale in Thailand. In the past the King has always been in European cars.

The royal fleet has often included US vehicles, I know there were Lincolns being used, and I think there are a few Suburbans being used now. The Rolls Phantom was the prime vehicle {elephant mascot} until the gift of the Maybach which looks to be exclusively used by their majesties, with the RR being used by HRH's.

Regards

Because he can. Let's not discuss him; just his car. It was magnificent, and all four doors looked lengthened, for ease of getting in and out. I told my Thai partner how Cadillac was the most famous, expensive and largest, American car. I've also seen Lincoln sedans in the royal fleet (at Hua Hin), and of course there was a Maybach during the 60th year festivities, and numerous Rolls Royce convertibles.

I don't keep up with luxury American automobiles, but I can't think of a stock, four-door convertible since President Lyndon B. Johnson drove his around the Johnson ranch, beer in hand (which was legal then!). I believe Lancia had a four door convertible in the 1950's (Flaminia, perhaps?). For years, there were no stock American ragtop sedans, and I think one year the available drop-heads in the USA were the Volkswagen Cabrio and the R-R Corniche, both imports!

PeaceBlondie, you are right! A good point. I know the King has always loved great cars....I remember when he used to drive one of his Mercs near The Oriental. (Have you visited his car museum?)

Yes, the Cad was America's prestige car....and now I think it has regained its formal status....according to Motor Trend it now ranks among the very best vehicles models.

I also saw the yellow caddie on tv the other night....it is a FAR cry from those Titanic sized steel boats they had in the 1960's, 70's and 80's. It looks more like a high performance sports car with its convertible top down, yet it also has the typical trimmings of a luxury car. When I first saw it, I was a bit amazed to see an American made car when the King is usually driven around in European cars; like Rolls Royces, etc. When I looked more closely, I noticed the wheel on the American side so it must be a direct import. I wonder if it was a gift from us, or just a special order? Still, it's a nice car but it wouldn't be easy to get parts though!

As a car-crazy American teenager in the 1950's, I knew Cadillac, Lincoln, Chrysler Imperial, and Packard were good. In the early 1960's, Car & Driver magazine compared the best Cadillac to Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc. Their conclusion: if the Cadillac were made in another country in very small numbers and hand assembled, it would rank as one of the world's best, regardless of cost. I'm glad to hear that Caddy has finally earned back its reputation. For a while, it was literally known as a pimp's car.

I suspect those long doors required an extended wheelbase, which on a convertible makes for extra difficulties. The Lincoln in which John F. Kennedy was assassinated had running boards for the Secret Service bodyguards.

The royal fleet has often included US vehicles, I know there were Lincolns being used, and I think there are a few Suburbans being used now. The Rolls Phantom was the prime vehicle {elephant mascot} until the gift of the Maybach which looks to be exclusively used by their majesties, with the RR being used by HRH's.

Regards

There are several of the big 4-wheel drive Chevy Suburans housed in a car museum at the Sanam Chan Palace in Nakhon Pathom. Also housed there are several of their predecessor, Land Rover.

John, is that the car museum corkscrew was referring to? I am assuming it is open to the public?

The entire grounds and buildings of the Palace are open to the public. It's a very interesting and beautiful place to visit.

I don't believe it's the same as corkscrew is referring to as only the 4x4's of His Majesty are on display and none of his cars.

wiki link for Sanam Chan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanam_Chan_Palace