Sunday Brunch

TopChinese

Can anyone recommend their favourite Sunday brunch spots in Bangkok.

I've been to the usually gluttony fests at the Sukhothai and Four Seasons and on the lookout for other suggestions esp a la carte options.

Do these places serve free flow champagne and a choice of other alcoholic beverages?

Edited by TopChinese

I've been to the usually gluttony fests at the Sukhothai and Four Seasons and on the lookout for other suggestions esp a la carte options.

Do these places serve free flow champagne and a choice of other alcoholic beverages?

Sheraton on Sukhumvit (near Asoke) with jazz and free flow alcohol.

If you have kids........Shangri-La by the river.

Those are the 2 best in town.

TopChinese

i have been to Sukhothai, i will not go back !

i order a bottle of champ 5400 baht and they serve it as it is water / full glass and fast , after with a smile ask if i want a new one !

I did mention something like that in the thaivisa !

Do yo like Four Season ? i was ready to give a go soon ..

thank

The JW Marriott Soi 2. Great food and free booz from 11 - 4. If you have a Marriott cad it is 1,900 Baht. The key here is you can bring a guest free so it is only 900Baht for 5 hours of food and drink. I haven't been their in a while but I am headed down to BKK next week for some Chritmas shopping.

tsocr

Are the prices inclusive of free flow champagne at the Marriott and the Sheraton? I was aghast that I had to pay extra for the drinks at Sukhothai too

At the Sheraton there is a price with or without.

Not been to the Marriott recently, but last time I went all drinks were extra.

Incidentally about 2 yrs ago the Sukhothai used to have free flow champagne. From what you say, thats all changed now..Pity!!

Sukhotai becomes expensive with the drinks, but they have the best food quality and variety I have tried. As JacknDanny says, they used to have free flow champagne, but unfortunately they stopped it. Now they have a short list of some decent wines on an acceptable price-per-bottle.

Four Seasons, free flow of wine, but way below that league, in my opinion, in food offer and quality.

JW Marriot, in my opinion, also excellent value for money.

We used to go to the Sukhothai all the time.

We used to stay there all day and be the last out, a group of us would sit there with our friends and girlfriends, sometimes on a table of 10 and just eat and drink all afternoon….until the food was cleared away, then continue drinking until one of use would realize that they were cleaning up around us. We’d move up to the bar area to finish our drinks, they’d often top us up while we were in the bar area. Absolutely wonderful service.

However, one time (with a booking) we turned up and were told with an apology that the policy has changed and we don’t get free flowing wine. We apologized and left, politely letting them know that the free flow wine was one of the reasons we were there. We called up and booked the Marriot and went directly there. We just didn’t rate it as much, the staff were also just that little bit surly, and we were kicked out at closing time of the buffet on the dot. We were also told, 15 mins before the buffet closed that there was no more wine, when I one of us spoke to the head waitress and suggested that ‘this is the Marriot hotel you don’t run out of wine, sorry but we don’t believe that excuse’… we were told OK, but this is the last one, no more after this (we certainly didn’t over do it)… We didn’t go back

After a couple of months, one of our group got a call from the head waitress / maitre d' of Sukhothai asking us ‘we miss your group’ why don’t we go there anymore..

They gave us a solution – we could take our own wine and not have to pay corkage. Last time we were there we left at 6pm after a great afternoon.

The Four Seasons and Marriot are good – but it feels like more of a conveyor belt buffet – get in, eat, get out…

We used to get great service at the Banyan tree, but the food was not up to the standard of the above three mentioned places.

One thing I have noticed is that service can make the difference between a good afternoon and a great afternoon. Its just nice to feel welcomed.

I’d also be very interested to learn of more good places (and A’la Carte) as the Op has requested, somewhere a ‘little’ different would be great….

Thanks Richard! For a la carte brunch, one of my fav places is Kuppa on Sukhumvit Soi 16. There is a nice selection of brunch staples and daily specials that keeps things interestings for regulars but discourage excess gluttony. Corkage is also a reasonable 300bh per bottle with a reasonable selection of reliable wines when your own supply runs out. The place seems to be quite busy with Suk expat and Thai families over the weekends but they do take reservations.

Will be nice to know more places like this.

Edited by TopChinese

Reckon Marriot on the river is best. Beer, white wine, some cocktails all in for about THB 2,000. Food is better than 4 Seasons in my opinion.

I like it down there as well - Bloody Mary's to recover with and white wine to do it all again

It was 1500++ was it not but a pal gets discount so its less.

After the above reccomendations or might try the Sheraton or Marriot soi 2 next time though

About 10 years ago we used to do the Landmark but that stopped ages ago for us.

Edited by Prakanong