Catholic Church In Mae Hong Son?

Tash

Very few Buddhists in Mae Hong Son are converted to being Christians. Poor people of various local beliefs (called animist by some) are the main soul hunting grounds.

But indeed there should be no shortage of churches in Mae Hong Son. :o

In my imaginative, unpublished novel, I have a Roman Catholic church centered in Mae Hong Son city, pastored by an Italian missionary priest who also served in Spain. He discovers the world's most famous hideaway celebrity, while ministering to Hill Tribe converts (mostly Karen and Tai Yai). I hope I got it more or less authentic.

Very few Buddhists in Mae Hong Son are converted to being Christians. Poor people of various local beliefs (called animist by some) are the main soul hunting grounds.

I would argue that most Thais are animist at heart and only superficially Buddhist. That being said, there are many Karens up around MHS and many are Catholic. It was about 10 years ago that the first Karen men were ordained at the main Catholic church in Chiang Mai.

I would argue that most Thais are animist at heart and only superficially Buddhist.

Ok, fair point.

That being said, there are many Karens up around MHS and many are Catholic. It was about 10 years ago that the first Karen men were ordained at the main Catholic church in Chiang Mai.

That recently? I always thought many Karen were Catholic for a couple generations at least?

In my imaginative, unpublished novel, I have a Roman Catholic church centered in Mae Hong Son city, pastored by an Italian missionary priest who also served in Spain. He discovers the world's most famous hideaway celebrity

Bin Ladin? :D

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. :o

I am sure a non fiction version could be just as compelling.

here is a picture of a church in MHS.

with the amount of buddists converted in being christians, am sure you can find many churches in MHS. may god bless you in easily finding a church which matches your criteria.

I think that picture might have been taken in Camp 1 (Burmese refugee camp) where there are mainly Karen and Karenni who have fleed the SPDC. If so you can only get entry via special permission from the Ministry of Interior. However, I am not saying for sure it's the same church, but it and surrounds are certainly a duplicate if not.

In my imaginative, unpublished novel, I have a Roman Catholic church centered in Mae Hong Son city, pastored by an Italian missionary priest who also served in Spain. He discovers the world's most famous hideaway celebrity

Bin Ladin? :o

Nah, not Osama Bin Hidin'. The world's most famous gay man, and a Nobel Peace Prize winner! Fictional, of course. Even Sir Paul McCartney suggests the man is not dead, just as Paul was not dead.

Strewth - Just wondering if anybody would post on topic and answer the OP's question!

The diocese is based at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart อาสนวิหารพระหฤทัย at 225 Charoen Prathet Road. You could try contacting them.

Alternatively, Catholic services are held in English at the Seven Fountains Student Center, at 97 Huay Kaew Rd. Contact on Tel: 053 - 211 076 or 892 545

He was asking about MHSongers, though. :D

But for Chiang Mai indeed the Seven Fountains on Huay Kaew is nice. The current priest is a bit of a dick, though. Hope they'll soon get someone a little more entertaining.

BTW, I think my 2 year old has been converted by her pre-school.. She now folds her hands in prayer before throwing her food all over the place. :o I plan to use it to my advantage: "God will be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry angry with you if you throw your food into the aquarium again!"

He was asking about MHSongers, though. :o

Very true - However the Diocese should have details of churches in MHS and that is the only way I can think of that the OP might get some info. Must say I feel the chances of having services in English to be pretty small though.

That being said, there are many Karens up around MHS and many are Catholic. It was about 10 years ago that the first Karen men were ordained at the main Catholic church in Chiang Mai.

That recently? I always thought many Karen were Catholic for a couple generations at least?

There have been Karen Catholics around for a few generations, but the first ordination of Thai Karen men into the priesthood, at least to the best of my knowledge, occurred about 10 years ago in Chiang Mai. One of the men was a former student of me missus so we went down to attend the ceremony at the big church in Chiang Mai. I have never seen so many Karen in one place.

Oh right, sorry. I missed the Ordained into priesthood; shows you how much I know about what people typically get ordained as. :o Confused with 'baptized' I guess.

Also, there's a big Karen Christmas celebration somewhere every year right? I still plan to join it one of these years. Should at least be more true to the spirit of Christmas than going to Airport Plaza. :D