Ex Military Serve In Combat?

cm-happy

I dont see any ethnic slur - the japanese (according to a widely accepted version of historical facts) commited terrible acts or cruelty during ww2. Americans are responsible for attrocitys today - and will be judged accordingly. Ofcourse its not personal, but there are obviously some dangerous psychopaths in all societys who use the oppurtunity of conflict to act aas they wish.

Then read my post again, pay some special atention to the word i high lighted in the OP, then go and educate yourself about the ethnic slur that was used.

Jap, brit, ozzy, scott, etc. etc. You think i should educate myself

Do some research and your ignorance will become apparent to you.

Now if i had said japs eye for a certain part of my anatomy - then ok!!

I dont see any ethnic slur - the japanese (according to a widely accepted version of historical facts) commited terrible acts or cruelty during ww2. Americans are responsible for attrocitys today - and will be judged accordingly. Ofcourse its not personal, but there are obviously some dangerous psychopaths in all societys who use the oppurtunity of conflict to act aas they wish.

Then read my post again, pay some special atention to the word i high lighted in the OP, then go and educate yourself about the ethnic slur that was used.

A Jewish-American Princess' eye, would that be an ethnic slur?

Don't enlist. Don't accept a commission into the combat military. Don't allow yourself to be drafted (conscripted) into combat. Teach your children well, about these things. Then there will be no need for your or your children to commit crimes/sins that need to be forgiven and forgotten. However, that is not enough. Do not be passive, but actively and nonviolently work for peace even if it kills you. You cannot make peace by killing, any more than you can make virginity by raping.

Be peacemakers. Love your enemy.

A Jewish-American Princess' eye, would that be an ethnic slur?

You got me there - i would love to be enlightend. What part of the body would that refer to ? - seems a bit of a mouth full. Then again so is my japs eye :o

Thing that prompted this thread is another thread where a member mentioned the Jap Burma railway and the suffering of the pows.

It's good to see you guy's are still allowed to us offensive derogatory ethnic slurs on this forum, just so long as it's not in reference to a race dear to any of the other members hearts.

Zuki.

According to Wikipedia: The term Jap is used in English as an abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is usually used as an ethnic slur, though English speaking countries differ in the degree they consider the term offensive. Most people of Japanese descent in these countries consider it offensive.

Full article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

:o

Wikipedia has many racial Slur words.

Paki is a good one. When i lived in the UK it was not PC to use this word. Then i started to find Pakistani nationals describing themselves or their friends as Pakis!

Paki = short for Pakistani

Jap = Short for Japanese

Should the residents of Great Britain be offended when rude foreigners describe them as Brits? Or only when the term Great Brits is used? As a Brit myself, I wouldn't consider either offensive.

Either way you feel, it's not relevant to this thread as it is about war and war more often than not happens to be racist!

It's not a question of how I feel, I saw Zuki Suzuki's comments and looked it up. I'd add that there are other sources, not just Wiki. It seems to have been debated in various forums; my opinion is that it would depend on the situation in which it's used, but I'm not Japanese.

Thing that prompted this thread is another thread where a member mentioned the Jap Burma railway and the suffering of the pows.

It's good to see you guy's are still allowed to us offensive derogatory ethnic slurs on this forum, just so long as it's not in reference to a race dear to any of the other members hearts.

Zuki.

According to Wikipedia: The term Jap is used in English as an abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is usually used as an ethnic slur, though English speaking countries differ in the degree they consider the term offensive. Most people of Japanese descent in these countries consider it offensive.

Full article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

:o

Wikipedia has many racial Slur words.

Paki is a good one. When i lived in the UK it was not PC to use this word. Then i started to find Pakistani nationals describing themselves or their friends as Pakis!

Paki = short for Pakistani

Jap = Short for Japanese

Should the residents of Great Britain be offended when rude foreigners describe them as Brits? Or only when the term Great Brits is used? As a Brit myself, I wouldn't consider either offensive.

Either way you feel, it's not relevant to this thread as it is about war and war more often than not happens to be racist!

It's not a question of how I feel, I saw Zuki Suzuki's comments and looked it up. I'd add that there are other sources, not just Wiki. It seems to have been debated in various forums; my opinion is that it would depend on the situation in which it's used, but I'm not Japanese.

Thank you Clayton,

Yes it is widely cosidered as offensive and a racial slure amongst Japanese people, it happens a lot on this board but it is never addressed by the moderators. If it was about others such as those of African decent then it would be.

Double standards? Who knows.

I swore I'd never get sucked into another one of these threads talking about war. If you haven't been in combat, consider yourself lucky. I've been in combat in four theatres. None are pretty. The worst was Vietnam. I was there for two tours of duty between 1967-69 with the 1st Cavalry Division. I long ago forgave my enemies. They were tough, dedicated, vicious killers. So was I.

But I will never forgive the people who spit on me and called me a "baby killer" when I came home. Chloe, you would have been right in there with them. They were all so self-righteous. After all, you never have had blood on your hands, have you? Same with Prakanong, who obviously thinks he knows all the answers. He doesn't have a clue.

There isn't a night that I don't wake up in cold sweats having fought yet another battle in a never-ending war in my mind, trying to save my buddies who often died in my arms. They remain forever young. I just keep getting older.

Every year the surviving members of my second platoon get together on a conference call on Veteran's Day. We call it "Roll Call" and it is our way of honoring the members of our platoon that didn't make it home. But more than that, it is also our way of wrapping our arms around each other and telling each of us that "It is alright. You are home now." But we all know better. We are all still back there. And we will be until we die.

As Will Rogers once said, "We can't all be heroes. Someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."

Edited by farang prince

I swore I'd never get sucked into another one of these threads talking about war. If you haven't been in combat, consider yourself lucky. I've been in combat in four theatres. None are pretty. The worst was Vietnam. I was there for two tours of duty between 1967-69 with the 1st Cavalry Division. I long ago forgave my enemies. They were tough, dedicated, vicious killers. So was I.

But I will never forgive the people who spit on me and called me a "baby killer" when I came home. Chloe, you would have been right in there with them. They were all so self-righteous. After all, you never have had blood on your hands, have you? Same with Prakanong, who obviously thinks he knows all the answers. He doesn't have a clue.

There isn't a night that I don't wake up in cold sweats having fought yet another battle in a never-ending war in my mind, trying to save my buddies who often died in my arms. They remain forever young. I just keep getting older.

Every year the surviving members of my second platoon get together on a conference call on Veteran's Day. We call it "Roll Call" and it is our way of honoring the members of our platoon that didn't make it home. But more than that, it is also our way of wrapping our arms around each other and telling each of us that "It is alright. You are home now." But we all know better. We are all still back there. And we will be until we die.

As Will Rogers once said, "We can't all be heroes. Someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."

And what cause were you fighting for - now your older and have had time to think

And what cause were you fighting for - now your older and have had time to think

That's simple. We were fighting for each other.

But I will never forgive the people who spit on me and called me a "baby killer" when I came home. Chloe, you would have been right in there with them.

Sorry you had to experience what you did and i'm sorry that it still effects you in the way you described.

My comment was about Lieutenant Calley and some of his company not about, every American soldier in the war.

I certainly would never spit on anyone, how discusting.

Chloe.

But I will never forgive the people who spit on me and called me a "baby killer" when I came home. Chloe, you would have been right in there with them.

Sorry you had to experience what you did and i'm sorry that it still effects you in the way you described.

My comment was about Lieutenant Calley and some of his company not about, every American soldier in the war.

Chloe.

Spitting is a disgusting habit - unless your chinese - however, invading foreign countrys and murdering innocent civillians is far more obscene. Nothing heroic about it.

Chloe.

If you knew that your comment was just about "Lt. Calley and some of his company, not about every American soldier in the war..." then why did you make it? We both know why. So don't play Miss Innocence with me.

Chloe.

If you knew that your comment was just about "Lt. Calley and some of his company, not about every American soldier in the war..." then why did you make it? We both know why. So don't play Miss Innocence with me.

Im not playing anything with you, read my post and you will see what i said.

Do some research.... that is a grand statement. Since when do the Japanese do research? Maybe in areas like technology, but not in history. I have a Japanese sister-in-law, wonderful lady. But she twists history with her kids, raises them up to be sympathetic to the Japanese war efforts. She even has a gross misconception that America had no right to attack Japan! As if the attack on Pearl Harbor never occured.

Any you folks watched some of the Japanese war cartoons. Yea, they still make cartoons about war time in Japan, the struggles they had, hardships, the cruel unexplained air raids etc.... as if they were the victims. These are cartoons!!!! Think about the target market implications here.....

I am half German, born from a people that killed people left & right, but never did my mother try to explain away, or make those actions seem acceptable. I don't hate her for being of German decent, and I really do not care.

I can only hope out Text books do not try to justify or explain away the actions of the worst American president ever.

Chloe.

Im not playing anything with you, read my post and you will see what i said.

I read what you said. Your sole purpose for writing it was to cast a bad light on American soldiers who served in Vietnam, to make us look like we all slaughtered innocent women and children. What other purpose was there for the post?

TV members. Have you ever served in the armed forces of your respective countries in a combat zone? Have you come to grips with that experience and been able to forgive and forget your old adversaries?...

Maybe some things can NEVER be forgotten or forgiven based upon individual experiences.

Forgive *them*? Er, maybe you got that the wrong way around. America attacked Viet Nam, not the other way around. I've seen estimates that 1,000,000 Vietnamese were killed during the conflict, the majority of them civilians. Napalm and chemical weapons (agent orange) were used. Babies are still being born in Viet Nam today with deformaties due to on-going effects of agent orange.

Massacres like Mai Lai were a regular occurence, it's just that Mai Lai happened to be one that made it into the press.

Not trying to be judgemental, as a soldier you're taught to do your 'duty', so I guess it's hard to go against the flow.

TV members. Have you ever served in the armed forces of your respective countries in a combat zone? Have you come to grips with that experience and been able to forgive and forget your old adversaries?

Served in the US Navy during the sixties for 2 hitches during the Vietnam war. And for the most part have let it go. Although I have absolutely no desire to visit as a tourist. Maybe easier for me as not a POW.

Thing that prompted this thread is another thread where a member mentioned the Jap Burma railway and the suffering of the pows. Some smart mouth said was so long ago, forgive and forget. Maybe some things can NEVER be forgotten or forgiven based upon individual experiences.

For a "cm-happy" you sure know how to stir the waters. Decided not to stick around for the comments you elicited? Or are you the other poster who uses the same avatar?

I am the "smart mouth" you mentioned, boat-boy. I served 18 months in Nam primarily as a MASH Hospital ambulance and emergency extraction helicopter pilot, picking up the wounded that you never got to see or become.

Combat events are never forgotten but forgiveness is about getting a life. My forgiveness problems are about governments that send our barely-out-of-highschool kids off to wars of greed and power. I suppose it would be easier if that were actually in the past.

"Jap"... "smart mouth"... Gee, I wonder why you are not getting more positive responses...? :o