Avi Cable Length Vs Signal Loss?

p_brownstone

I need an AVI Cable of 3 meters or more for my Office setup. I purchased one from 109 Computer in Seri Center but, when installed, the Monitor was unreadable with vertical multi-coloured stripes.

I assumed the Cable was bad because fitting a standard length cable (1.8 meters?) solved the problem. I took the 3 meter cable back and 109 had the same result when they tested it on one of their computers. They had no more 3 meter cables so I decided to use a 5 meter one; they tested that before I left the shop and the result was the same – unreadable Monitor.

Unless they had a bad batch of Cable – which seems unlikely – I suspect that the length of the Cable leads to loss of signal strength (however this too seems not really likely; why would someone manufacture a longer AVI Cable if it degrades the signal so?).

I am using 2 Acer Monitors connected to an Nvidia 8800GTS 640 bit Card.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received; either a recommendation where I can get “good” cable if my theory about Signal Loss is nonsense or, if that is the cause, is there some way of boosting the Signal?

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
If you mean a VGA cable I think I have a 50ft that I used to use with my projector. No booster nothing special done.

I now use a 15m DVI cable at 1280x720 with perfect reception.

I am using a VGA cable that is 50 ft. with integrated audio that I picked up in the US with no loss of quality from my laptop or desktop to my 37 inch LG LCD TV.

LSM

As with all AVI cable, audio/speakers/video the more you pay the better they are.

I tried a cheap VGA cable to connect my PC to the TV, it simply did not work.

I now have a 5m cable, black, about the thickness of a pencil and it is fine.

In the office I use pre-installed cables to connect to my laptop top to video projectors

and never have any problems.

The lengths are probably 5-10m.

I had a similar problem. A system was installed 1.5 years with a vga extension with no problems. Then the video card failed and was replaced. Now vwey poor quality video (higher quality vidow card). Changed monitors and it improved but not high quality. I then switched to a DVI cable (digital) and all is well. Better than before.