Advice Needed About Family Trip To Hua Hin

Bates

Hi guys,

on my next trip in January to LOS, i'm planning to rent a pickup and take the whole family for a beachtrip to Hua Hin. We'll start at Chiangmai and then take the super highway to Bangkok, stop over at Ayutthaya and then drive on to Hua Hin.

Anyone got an idea for a motel somewhere around ayutthaya and doesn't anyone know a nice place somewhere along the beach at Hua Hin? We're about 7 people, so we would need a family room or atleast 2 or 3 rooms for reasonable rates..

Anybody?

First off, get the pickup booked well in advance as they can easily all be booked up in CM in the high season. Budget do some new ones. Also a good idea to try and avoid Bangkok when driving through. You can cut through towards Supanburi from Ayuthaya (go out the west exit from moat) and then south from Supan' to highway 4, west of Bangers.

I usually stay at Tony's Place in Ayuthaya which is a bit of a backpacker place, albeit higher classed. Has a good restaurant and is in a good spot. The better rooms are about 600 baht (possibly more in high season) with aircon/bathrooms. Ask for the ones with the balcony over the front.

Tony's Place

Naresuan Road Soi 1

Tel: (035) 252 578

Not sure you'll find a reasonably-priced place in HH on the beach in Jan. You'll save a fair bit by staying in town and the Jed Pee Nong and nearby hotels are quite well priced, or at least were couple years ago. Was 800 last time I stayed, but could be double that in season. Has pool and parking and is opposite cop shop and near Burger King on Damneonkasem Road. Alternatively, and if you're flush, try the Sofitel which is a really nice place overlooking the beach. May be able to get a good rate by booking online, although don't expect anything under about 5k.

:o

• 3 weeks later...
Cha Am beach is much better than Hua Hin and wifey says that hotels are cheaper too.

Don't rule the beach out just yet.

Much better? Really. Cha Am seems pretty boring to me. A day trip there is quite enough. Suppose if you like peace and quiet it might be alright. I'd sooner go to Hua Hin and have something to do besides lazing on the beach.

Cha Am is not much better than Hua Hin as far as beaches go, although depends what you're after I spose. As Tutsi says, if you are mostly Thai people, the former will be more suited to them as it is predominantly Thai tourists and the beach has lots of tree cover. Regards the beach itself, though, bare in mind that the main road goes right along it whereas Hua Hin's beach is well away from the road. The sand and sea is also much nicer at HH, IMO, while the nightlife, shopping and markets leave Cha Am for dust but are again more suited to farangs. There's loads of resorts along the coast between HH and Cha Am so you could stay at one of these and be out the way of all the noise, although could work out expensive.

My guess is that a large family of Thais would enjoy either place, and they might not care about night life. They would do their thing as a family unit, and enjoy it. I've been with Thai teachers and students whose idea of 'fun' was simply to be at the beach, maybe see one tourist attraction, one shopping experience, and to think nothing of all day and all night on the road. Not my idea of fun, though.

If it's beach you're after rather than town, you could look into renting a National Park bungalow at Khao Sam Roi Yot. They are right on the beach and certainly the cheapest accommodation, other than a tent. It's not much further along and there is plentiful local seafood and other Thai dishes sold locally. Check the national park Web site.

I'd stay anywhere inside Ayudthaya, the place has several reasonably priced hotels and guesthouses. And Ayudthaya is interesting for an early morning look-see, while you wait for a departure time that gets you to the Bangkok area slightly after rush hour.

Then when continuing I think I'd probably continue on the main Highway towards bangkok for just a little bit until you hit the Outer Ring, where you take a right (well, left ramp, then cross the road towards the West) and then continue from the Outer Ring on to Highway #35, which connects to the main highway #4 going South somewhere South of Ratchaburi.

Personally I don't like either Hua Hin or Cha-Am much, but do like the area further South from there starting with Prachuap town.

Also I think the Pattaya area is worth considering for a (Thai) family holiday, especially Naklua and Jomtien.