Night Boat Thefts Warning

I was on the night boat from KPG to Surat Thani last night, when getting off the boat in the morning a young English guy discovered his mobile phone and passport were missing. This prompted everyone to check their bags and it was found that several passports, mobiles, MP3 players and an ammount of cash had been stolen.

A quick cross reference put the same Thai boatman laying down next to the victims at some stage during the night.

When confronted he tried to make a quick getaway with his bag and his girlfriend on a scooter, an angry farang snatched the keys from it and the boatman then ran inside with his bag and the tourist police who had now turned up were unwilling to follow him for some reason.

So heads up folks, be careful on the boat, this appeared to be one of the boat staff who was involved.

I was on the night boat from KPG to Surat Thani last night, when getting off the boat in the morning a young English guy discovered his mobile phone and passport were missing. This prompted everyone to check their bags and it was found that several passports, mobiles, MP3 players and an ammount of cash had been stolen.

A quick cross reference put the same Thai boatman laying down next to the victims at some stage during the night.

When confronted he tried to make a quick getaway with his bag and his girlfriend on a scooter, an angry farang snatched the keys from it and the boatman then ran inside with his bag and the tourist police who had now turned up were unwilling to follow him for some reason.

So heads up folks, be careful on the boat, this appeared to be one of the boat staff who was involved.

And,how is it finished ? :o

My friend had 6000 baht nicked from right under our noses a few months back. BUT although the evidence looks strong, we shouldn't act as jury to this man. It could have quite easily been another farang doing the stealing as is quite common round these parts.

My friend had 6000 baht nicked from right under our noses a few months back. BUT although the evidence looks strong, we shouldn't act as jury to this man. It could have quite easily been another farang doing the stealing as is quite common round these parts.

I had nothing stolen so was not directly involved, I'm just telling you what I saw before I jumped into my taxi, I don't know how things ended up. And you are quite correct, innocent until proven guilty and all that. I posted the warning so that people would know to take a little more care next time they use the boat, not to point a finger at somebody and shout thief!

• 3 weeks later...

that is really bad, i know that situation in the night boat.. but one thing you can do is to put all valuable things in a small wallet or small bags etc. and place it inside your clothes..

Just watch the Thais how they sleep in the night boat and you will notice the difference..

:o Hi

I was with my girlfriend on the night boat the 30th (two day’s ago) for a visa run to Ranong. Following happened that night on the boat:

While I was sleeping I’ve heard suddendly a noise and an english guy was shouting very loud to a undefined thai guy "what the fuc_k are you doing" in the dark and somebody escaped from the bed row down the stairs.

The story was that a undefined guy from the staff came twice to a sleeping girl and was wanking (sexual harassment), so the girl gets scared and that english guy was probably seeing the whole scene then. He was watching the scene for a while and this (or another) guy came again and the same scene happened again. So he tried to get the staff member but since it was very near to the wooden stairs at the end of the boat he could escape and was not seen anymore.

So far the story. I tried to identify the man in Suratthani with the english guy together and i made some pictures from the staff hanging around the boat. I took even a picture of the captain and said to him that somebody of his staff traid to make some problem (sexual harassment) to an innocent girl on this trip, on his boat. He just went to his cabin back (I was talking in thai about the night).

I know the owner and will make a report, but I’m not sure if this helps. We have to watch this boat service clearly.

It has to be mentioned that the girls where quit loud at the beginning of the cruise and alcohol was in the round to. But nevertheless those things should be eliminated in the night boat. It was probably not the first time on this line, I guessing.

Btw. The 10 dollars which are to be paid at the burmese immigration office, have to be in a very good shape (best new ones), they refused a girls 10 dollar note, which had little redish color on the paper, not to see when not looking very clearly. So be carefull when changing dollars for this trip, don’t take old notes with you.

ham