Tourist Rant

sbk

Good heavens.

Comes to mind the attempt to pickpocket TVer Prakanong, and he said they were Indian. Followed a raging debate having to do with that.

Don't quite know what to think.

I had nearly fogot about that ;-))

They talk about it at work now along with the time I got mugged in Brussels - its because I do not look like someone to mug :D

I bet the couple in the OP were Belgian - sound more like them (ducks and leaves room but I do have to work with these people and its like something out of the 70's and demarkation :o )

An older couple for most means elderly, unless you are a teenager, then it could mean 25.

I agree with your adjectives, but my point was that however you feel about it, the notion that it fits the bill for a physical beating is wrong.

And I notice that the "fist in mouth" poster appears to stand by his words. It's a childish, football hooligan attitude, but then it takes all kinds to make a world....

Mark,as usual you seem to have an opinion on everything and anything. I entirely agree with SBK. You were not the person woken up but you feel it right to pontificate. Personally if it had happened to me I would have given them a quick spray of CS or pepper if they didn't bugger off. How bad is that!

Hubby didn't touch a hair on their heads, Mark. Nor was he planning on it --just wanted them to leave so he could get back to sleep. Felt very sorry for our neighbors who don't own the gas station tho, as they were woken up as well. For absolutely no reason other than some people can't get it through their heads that the world does not revolve around themselves.

Some people get angry and rather violent when encountering irrational pushy people. Can't say its always the right decision, but it is often understandable, perhaps not justifiable, but understandable.

Hubby didn't touch a hair on their heads, Mark. Nor was he planning on it --just wanted them to leave so he could get back to sleep. Felt very sorry for our neighbors who don't own the gas station tho, as they were woken up as well. For absolutely no reason other than some people can't get it through their heads that the world does not revolve around themselves.

Some people get angry and rather violent when encountering irrational pushy people. Can't say its always the right decision, but it is often understandable, perhaps not justifiable, but understandable.

I think justifiable, if the Morons learn something about basic manners and understanding.

SBK wrote:

Hubby didn't touch a hair on their heads, Mark. Nor was he planning on it .... Can't say its always the right decision, but it is often understandable, perhaps not justifiable, but understandable.

Remember RIF in the US many years ago?

Reading Is Fundamental

I didn't imply or say that anyone had actually assaulted anyone...I said that battery as a response to moronic people waking up the neighborhood in the middle of the night was pathetic.

Oh, and I assure you that in my life I have been awakened in the middle of the night by noisy people or parties or whatnot.

What would have beating the couple in question have accomplished, had Steve had his way? Make him feel better? More manly? Impressed his girl? Would the couple have been "taught a lesson"? If so, what lesson would that have been?

Given Steve's approach, and if the couple in the car had his same concepts, Steve would have punched them up (the woman too -- equal rights and all) and then, after they had been treated in hospital, come back and sought revenge -- burn down his house, lay in wait with a baseball bat (or a knife)...oh, the list is long.

Then Steve gets some of his mates together and goes after them....and so on.

When you are older and more mature you know when violence is warranted. And in Asia, if you didn't know already, you never fight just one local; you will have to face all his angry friends and relatives, and they don't know Queensbury rules.

Steve wouldn't be so quick to violence if the couple in question had been Thai, unless he is suicidal.

Anyway, I assume all this talk of fisticuffs in bravado.

Gatorade wrote:

Mark,as usual you seem to have an opinion on everything and anything.

Uh, this is a forum for discussion. I'd not be interested in talking with a person who has no opinion on anything. Or do you just want to punch me in the mouth? :o

maybe they have been living in India for a while, it is quite acceptable to wake people who provide a service up at ungodly hours if you are prepared to pay waaaaaaaaay over the odds(at least 3-4 times the day price), though i used to phone first or get a local to phone to check it was ok first. Sitting on the horn isn't going to get you far for sure.

What is it with people on holiday that think the world owes them something?

A generalisation in the extreme. Also, IMHO not accurate.

I've been both a holiday maker and expat in several countries and very often, it's been my fellow expats that seem to be the ones who think the world (or their adoptive country) owes them something.

Just an observation.

Stevethongsala wrote:
With me these f...... would have taken my fist in their mouth.

I just love to hear people whose first reaction is to violence. These sorts of people are emotionally bankrupt and immature.

This elderly couple was boorish, to be sure, but their actions hardly rise to the level necessitating such violence.

Leave your brutish arrogance at the border before entering the Kingdom.

(I suppose Steve now wants to put his fist in my mouth...)

One over reaction met with another.

MOST people when woken up in the middle of the night for no good reason would love to smack someone. Actually doing it is another matter.

What is it with people on holiday that think the world owes them something?

A generalisation in the extreme. Also, IMHO not accurate.

I've been both a holiday maker and expat in several countries and very often, it's been my fellow expats that seem to be the ones who think the world (or their adoptive country) owes them something.

Just an observation.

True, we are all guilty of bad behavior, and expats really should know better. I have seen it in expats quite often as well, just never have been so directly affected by expats, only tourists. :o

koheesti wrote:

"He overreacted with non-violence!! What is with this guy? Is he some sort of Gandhi man?"

Let me guess, Koheesti would take the middle path: punch the driver and his passenger, but only once each, and softly.

I do agree that often some people, perhaps not traveled as much as others, have a colonialistic view of the "natives," whereby having them wake up in the middle of the night is not an imposition on them but rather a right that the white man deserves.

I have been wondering in all this whether it would have been better for them to try to wake the owner or just to steal a liter or two of gas?

Actually, Mark, we think that they may have attempted just that. What got us out of bed was our dogs going ballistic-- they don't bark at people on the road but do bark at people who come down the hill into our place. We suspect (only suspect, no proof, but I do know my dogs) that they came down the hill to either steal gas out of someone's motorbike, or possibly, wake us up for some unknown reason. But when confronted with protective dogs, turned around, went back up the hill and proceeded to lean on their horn again.

Oh, and the gas pump (well barrel) is locked up in a cage. They would have had to break the chain and lock to get in. And then they most certainly would have found themselves in much deeper trouble.

koheesti wrote:

"He overreacted with non-violence!! What is with this guy? Is he some sort of Gandhi man?"

Let me guess, Koheesti would take the middle path: punch the driver and his passenger, but only once each, and softly.

1) If you actually punch someone just for waking you up that's over-reacting.

2) If you go after someone for being too violent because they WOULD LIKE to punch someone for waking them up then you are over-reacting. That's what you did.

What would I do? Bitch, whine, think of a million ways I'd like to clobber the effin' idiot for waking me up but I would never actually do it. I'm a peaceful guy like you, I just don't go around preaching it to others. That's a good way to get punched. :o

I'm waiting for the thread started by an elderly French couple who tried to buy gasoline and were then told to 'F Off' by a Thai guy who then threatened to shoot them.

Wonder what the responses to a thread like that would be? Would it be "Way to go Thai guy, you did the right thing" or "Typical Thai idiot, no wonder Samui has a bad name blah, blah"

Always nice to hear both sides of the story