Ice-cream Parlour With Mao-tse-tung Statue In Front ?

Ricardo

Mrs Ricardo tells me that there is an ice-cream parlour or cafe, somewhere in Chiang Mai, which is owned by a famous Thai comedian, and that it has a statue of Mao Tse Tung in the front garden. Its owner is supposedly a little bit shy of publicity, not wanting to get mobbed by his fans, so he doesn't advertise it very much.

Does anybody know - where this esteemed-establishment might be located ? :o

It's funny how stories like that will plant images in your head about world famous characters, long after they've died and been hated. I once heard that Mao loved to swim so much that he even swam in water so polluted that turds were floating past as he swam. I shall now imagine that he was doing the backstroke, eating an ice cream cone from Thailand, while listening to a Thai comedian.

I've seen it a couple of times cutting thru to Nimmanhaemin. Here's about ('about!') where it is. You go up Suthep Rd and turn rt onto Siri Mangkalajarn - the big road between parts of Maharaj Hospital. Go about 4-5 blocks up and take a left heading towards Nimmmmannnhaaaeeeemin. It'll be on your left b4 you hit Nimmhmn. Next time I get a chance I'll check out the actual soi #, because I just go by feel, you know. Who remembers street names and #'s after living here afew yrs anyway? But it's there, somewhere in the first couple sois you can make a left on. Good Luck. And tell us how the I-Teem is when you try it.

PB.... that's a gross Mao fact. Probably Chinese urban legend. And now you've added ice cream to the fray ?! Odd thing is you've now cursed me with the visual too!

Mrs Ricardo says 'ta very much !' , gentlemen. She now understands why I like TV so much ! Such a helpful mob. But I won't be able to get her off the computer, so that I can get on, myself now. :o

Edited by Ricardo

It's funny how stories like that will plant images in your head about world famous characters, long after they've died and been hated. I once heard that Mao loved to swim so much that he even swam in water so polluted that turds were floating past as he swam. I shall now imagine that he was doing the backstroke, eating an ice cream cone from Thailand, while listening to a Thai comedian.

In Sydney I used to go surfing at Malabar and North Bondi. Before they put the sewage outfall into deep water, it was common to have raw sewage floating around on the surface. We used to refer to them as blind mullet or brown trout.

Ahh the memories of Sydney and that is one of the good ones :o

Getting back on topic - so this icecream parlour is part of a franchise? Any good?

CB

Jst visited, and Khun Udom was there, to Mrs R's delight. The ice-cream was excellent, loved the Gooseberry Sorbet, although 45 Baht per scoop ! :D (Note to mods - we definitely need a 'smilie' in a kilt !) The artwork was also interesting :o

And, coming from the direction of the hospital, it was the unmarked soi to the Left, just before Soi 17.

Edited by Ricardo

Nice surroundings at Iberry, indeed, but the last time I walked inside the shop, it /seriously/ smelled like cum.

No comment..... :D:D:o

Not much you can say after a comment like that - except the icecream must be really exceptional to get that sort of response from the customers.

CB