Jump to content

Let the young ones build your new Desktop


Recommended Posts

Well, a friend of mine went to a small computer store on Pattaya Klang, they build PC's to meet a customers needs. They said they could build him a pretty good setup; AMD Ryzen 5 4600g, 16GB RAM, A520M Motherboard, Dtech Power Supply(500W), Vikings Computer Case, 250GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD, USB Wi-Fi adapter. They said they would load either Win 10 or Win 11, plus Office, Antivirus. He chose Win 10. 

 

It took them about a day to build, heck even I was impressed esp. as I was on the verge on trying to build one myself. Way better than my HP Mini that's for sure. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Furioso said:

It's funny, I did go across the street to a more corporate type computer store and they wanted double the price for a Dell with the same specs. 

 

Mmm. Not really the same specs, come down to it. In the custom build, the case and, most importantly, the power supply are junk. The software is pirated.  Dunno about the other, not enough details.

 

I'd take the Dell if I had to choose. I'm a big believer in custom builds, but their advantage lies in the selection of off-the-shelf known high quality parts, right down to the case fans. If not, the big brands are probably going to be better value, all considered. Some of the niche pre-builts are quite good

 

First, research; then build.

 

  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Furioso said:

with the same specs

 

The same specs is not the same as the same quality of parts.

People can build cheap computers, and they can build good computers. But not (relatively seen) good and cheap computers at the same time.

I.e. you can get a keyboard for 100B and one for 3000B and more. In theory, they are the same spec. But they are not.

The fact that you were impressed doesn't mean much.

 

In my experience there are a couple of guys in those computer shops who know what they are doing. And then there are many who know little. Maybe they know a couple of words which impress the average customer but that's about it.

I.e. just look how most of those "computer specialists" touch sensitive hardware like RAM modules. Many touch the contact with their sweaty fingers and they are not even aware that you shouldn't do that. 

Obviously even a bad computer works somehow, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work reliable and for years like a good computer. 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdaBbTN4BRy1Sp-RGTgcz

 

  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

 

Mmm. Not really the same specs, come down to it. In the custom build, the case and, most importantly, the power supply are junk. The software is pirated.  Dunno about the other, not enough details.

 

I'd take the Dell if I had to choose. I'm a big believer in custom builds, but their advantage lies in the selection of off-the-shelf known high quality parts, right down to the case fans. If not, the big brands are probably going to be better value, all considered. Some of the niche pre-builts are quite good

 

First, research; then build.

 

"The software is pirated". That's what I was wondering, it's looks like a legit Win 10 w/Office but I guess it's not. How do they do that? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Furioso said:

"The software is pirated". That's what I was wondering, it's looks like a legit Win 10 w/Office but I guess it's not. How do they do that? 

Software Makes little difference, easy to buy a Key and activate 

 

The real question how much was this Computer Set ?

 

The CPU is still sold but is over 4 years old + a Zen 2

 

Value for money is the New this year Zen 3  2024 Ryzen 5 5500GT Set  [Advice 9,900 baht] + other outlets some with different hardware,

Ryzen 5 5500GT has 145% better value for money than Ryzen 5 4600G.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only way I can make modern laptops work is by deleting everything from it.  Change it to performance mode.  Then adding, chrome (use it for google docs and email), and irfanview basic image editor.

 

The standard 'out of the box' windows doesn't work.  It is designed to break so that you have to purchase the new windows next year.  AKA the Sony Kill Switch.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Furioso said:

Well, a friend of mine went to a small computer store on Pattaya Klang, they build PC's to meet a customers needs. They said they could build him a pretty good setup; AMD Ryzen 5 4600g, 16GB RAM, A520M Motherboard, Dtech Power Supply(500W), Vikings Computer Case, 250GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD, USB Wi-Fi adapter. They said they would load either Win 10 or Win 11, plus Office, Antivirus. He chose Win 10. 

 

It took them about a day to build, heck even I was impressed esp. as I was on the verge on trying to build one myself. Way better than my HP Mini that's for sure. 

verge on trying to build one myself

 

If you buy everything you need then many Computer places will assemble it for you...   EG I can buy everything I want at Advice they will then assemble it for between 300 and max 500 baht

 

 [for me getting to old, eyes not good + hands shakes]   I have a Graphics card bought last year, have a much better CPU Cooler than stock also bought  4 month ago not used yet, they said no problem take it in they will add to the build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ignis said:

Software Makes little difference, easy to buy a Key and activate 

 

The real question how much was this Computer Set ?

 

The CPU is still sold but is over 4 years old + a Zen 2

 

Value for money is the New this year Zen 3  2024 Ryzen 5 5500GT Set  [Advice 9,900 baht] + other outlets some with different hardware,

Ryzen 5 5500GT has 145% better value for money than Ryzen 5 4600G.

 

 

"Software Makes little difference, easy to buy a Key and activate" 

-- Ok, that makes sense the builder must have a bunch of keys ready to use.

 

"The real question how much was this Computer Set?" 

-- 13,900 baht. My friend had a small budget, the shop convinced him this would meet his needs. It's way faster than the crappy used Win 8 PC he got from Tukcom a few years ago. 

 

"Ryzen 5 5500GT has 145% better value for money than Ryzen 5 4600G."

-- That's a big difference alright. Unfortunately he needed a new PC fast. Is the 5500GT really that expensive? 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just bought a new one at advice, but I bought the part and put it together myself. That was after i saw them stand with other custormers computer trying to fit in liquid cooling for over 1 hour. Took my 15 minutes. Whole computer done by 1 hour. 30minute installation of software.

Now running the best Ryzen 9 with liquid cooling, 128gb ram, 2 x 2tb Nvme disks had and 16 gb GPU

Edited by Gottfrid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Furioso said:

"Software Makes little difference, easy to buy a Key and activate" 

-- Ok, that makes sense the builder must have a bunch of keys ready to use.

 

"The real question how much was this Computer Set?" 

-- 13,900 baht. My friend had a small budget, the shop convinced him this would meet his needs. It's way faster than the crappy used Win 8 PC he got from Tukcom a few years ago. 

 

"Ryzen 5 5500GT has 145% better value for money than Ryzen 5 4600G."

-- That's a big difference alright. Unfortunately he needed a new PC fast. Is the 5500GT really that expensive? 

 

 

 

 

 

Is the 5500GT really that expensive? 

 

Is the full Computer Set, NO software but that is not that difficult to install  + 4,000 baht cheaper.

 

10,590 baht = https://www.advice.co.th/product/computer-set-amd/set-amd/คอมประกอบ-advice-computer-set-amd-a165-ryzen-5-5500gt-no-vga

 

well respected Company   ฿11,990 Direct from them   

 https://ihavecpu.com/product/18534/mayd4-02-amd-ryzen-5-5500gt-3.6ghz-6c-12t-a520m-onboard-16gb-ddr4-3200mhz-m.2-256gb-550w-(80bronze)

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Furioso said:

"Software Makes little difference, easy to buy a Key and activate" 

-- Ok, that makes sense the builder must have a bunch of keys ready to use.

 

No, he doesn't, and wouldn't, since he can use a free pirate program, a form of malware, to make Windows/Office think it's legitimately activated--until it doesn't think so. Similarly, other premium programs will be hacked copies, downloaded from pirate torrent sites. Our shrewd local forum pirates won't have a problem; free stuff, man. Follow their lead if you wish.

 

Buying an OEM key from reputable vendors is quite OK, however. 

 

Most of our gurus will rightly suggest that, if buying from a Thai shop, you should install your own legit copy of Windows and your own legit copies of everything else--or bring it to the shop and watch them install it.

 

First thing I'd do with a Thai build is to wipe all that pre-installed software. I'd do a scan on my boot stick afterward, too.

 

Purposely using a computer with pre-installed malware is rather self-defeating, to say the least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The same specs is not the same as the same quality of parts.

 

Behind every component and finished product built from those components is first a product requirements document. Then there's product specification document detailing how those requirements are to be met. 

 

In fact, both will differ according to the product. The requirements and specifications for building a $20 PSU will be dramatically different from those for building a $70 PSU, for example, and therefore the latter will be of far greater quality. You may discover the differences for yourself in one of the teardown vids on the 'net. So, if you're going for a custom PC, you should first consult the PSU tier list, here:

 

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

 

The "specifications" commonly given in product descriptions are vague descriptors or mere names.

 

The average user should first do some research to find out what parts are being currently in favor among the knowledgeable. Here's one source: buildmeapc. Come up with a parts list and see what's available in Thailand. Or make a list of the parts in your proposed build and run them past the experts.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ignis said:

Is the 5500GT really that expensive? 

 

Is the full Computer Set, NO software but that is not that difficult to install  + 4,000 baht cheaper.

 

10,590 baht = https://www.advice.co.th/product/computer-set-amd/set-amd/คอมประกอบ-advice-computer-set-amd-a165-ryzen-5-5500gt-no-vga

 

well respected Company   ฿11,990 Direct from them   

 https://ihavecpu.com/product/18534/mayd4-02-amd-ryzen-5-5500gt-3.6ghz-6c-12t-a520m-onboard-16gb-ddr4-3200mhz-m.2-256gb-550w-(80bronze)

 

Nice, the Advice set isn't available but I can buy each component individually, except I'd have to get a white PC case. Yes, I'd have to buy licenses for Win 10 Pro, MS Office, and Antivirus + VPN.

 

Thanks for the links!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2024 at 11:24 AM, Furioso said:

"Software Makes little difference, easy to buy a Key and activate" 

-- Ok, that makes sense the builder must have a bunch of keys ready to use.

 

"The real question how much was this Computer Set?" 

-- 13,900 baht. My friend had a small budget, the shop convinced him this would meet his needs. It's way faster than the crappy used Win 8 PC he got from Tukcom a few years ago. 

 

"Ryzen 5 5500GT has 145% better value for money than Ryzen 5 4600G."

-- That's a big difference alright. Unfortunately he needed a new PC fast. Is the 5500GT really that expensive? 

firstly most shops will build your PC when buying all parts from them
you can buy keys online quick and easy for $2 (he does not need a bunch of keys ready, but here it is likely just pirate/cracked)
without knowing exact models
That PC is worth less than 10,500
cpu 3265 - 3550 (really bad value for what is on the market)
MB - 1800 (1610 lowest)
RAM - 1290
HDD - 2172 (would have been better just buying 2TB SSD for 4610 imo or 1TB SSD and increase when needed)
SSD - 840
PSU - 400 (Dtech is cheap)
Case - 610 
USB wifi - 50
that is just taking prices from advice not even shopping around

not a great buy at all, this is a low end OLD machine
would have been much better to spend a little extra and buy current generation that will not need updating so quickly
if was myself i would go for something more like this:


cpu Ryzen 5 7500F for 6180 or latest Ryzen 5 8600G for 8740
MB - 2610
RAM - 1542 for 16GB DDDR5 (8GB likely fine as DDDR5)
HDD - none
SSD - 2275 for 1TB NVME (additional slot on MB to add more later)
PSU - 1190 80+ aerocool
Case - 600  
wifi - 50
total = 14447 or 17007 with latest CPU that only just hit the market


while it is good to let others build if you do not like or know how to do yourself
it is not good to let others decide on the parts for your build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2024 at 11:34 AM, Gottfrid said:

Now running the best Ryzen 9 with liquid cooling, 128gb ram, 2 x 2tb Nvme disks had and 16 gb GPU

just curious, what are you doing that requires 128GB DDR5 RAM?
or is it just an overkill build?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Furioso said:

Nice, the Advice set isn't available but I can buy each component individually, except I'd have to get a white PC case. Yes, I'd have to buy licenses for Win 10 Pro, MS Office, and Antivirus + VPN.

 

Thanks for the links!

Depends what website you use......  Advice online this Ryzen 5500GT has sold out..

 

I use the website form my nearest Advice store  [Westgate]   https://www.advice.co.th/branch-a012/index.php/product/productdetail/A0157702  has gone up a bit but is in stock..  10,900 baht

 

Look up your local Branch and maybe they have there own website and see what they have on offer...   

 

Have noticed in the past Advice Online have one price and the local branch is a bit more expensive for the same item, there again also noticed the price online is often a bit more expensive than going into there shop and buying....  

At least for me Westgate have Advice and next door have JIB so can price compare 1st

 

Both Advice and JIB do a 3 hour delivery service.

Edited by ignis
extra info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, patman30 said:

cpu Ryzen 5 7500F for 6180 or latest Ryzen 5 8600G for 8740

correction, would be 7600 for onboard gpu at 6740
but to add you can also get the Ryzen 5 8500G latest Gen for 6950 baht from JIB

Edited by patman30
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, patman30 said:

correction, would be 7600 for onboard gpu at 6740
but to add you can also get the Ryzen 5 8500G latest Gen for 6950 baht from JIB

Also find a little odd... higher number is not always better

 

From Google search..

the 7600 is technically faster, with a 5.1 GHz boost clock speed. This translates to better performance in both gaming and productivity. then the 8600G Mar 6, 2567 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, patman30 said:

firstly most shops will build your PC when buying all parts from them
you can buy keys online quick and easy for $2 (he does not need a bunch of keys ready, but here it is likely just pirate/cracked)
without knowing exact models
That PC is worth less than 10,500
cpu 3265 - 3550 (really bad value for what is on the market)
MB - 1800 (1610 lowest)
RAM - 1290
HDD - 2172 (would have been better just buying 2TB SSD for 4610 imo or 1TB SSD and increase when needed)
SSD - 840
PSU - 400 (Dtech is cheap)
Case - 610 
USB wifi - 50
that is just taking prices from advice not even shopping around

not a great buy at all, this is a low end OLD machine
would have been much better to spend a little extra and buy current generation that will not need updating so quickly
if was myself i would go for something more like this:


cpu Ryzen 5 7500F for 6180 or latest Ryzen 5 8600G for 8740
MB - 2610
RAM - 1542 for 16GB DDDR5 (8GB likely fine as DDDR5)
HDD - none
SSD - 2275 for 1TB NVME (additional slot on MB to add more later)
PSU - 1190 80+ aerocool
Case - 600  
wifi - 50
total = 14447 or 17007 with latest CPU that only just hit the market


while it is good to let others build if you do not like or know how to do yourself
it is not good to let others decide on the parts for your build.

I know my friends PC is not the latest and greatest but it's a speed demon compared to my mini. He has very minimal needs, like web and excel and that's about it. In the past he admitted he had been too cheap when he paid something like 6,000 baht for a used PC at Tukcom, where they sold him a stripped down Win 8 PC. That PC didn't have HDMI nor any sound at all. His new PC has 3 year warranty, he did it all via Line and it took only a day to get the PC. Yes, I know he could have got a much better PC for similar price but he doesn't delve into technology like probably you and I do. 

 

One thing's for sure, all this has convinced me I need a new PC very soon. My Mini takes over 6 minutes just to boot up into Win 10!

Edited by Furioso
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Furioso said:

I know my friends PC is not the latest and greatest but it's a speed demon compared to my mini. He has very minimal needs, like web and excel and that's about it. In the past he admitted he had been too cheap when he paid something like 6,000 baht for a used PC at Tukcom, where they sold him a stripped down Win 8 PC. That PC didn't have HDMI nor any sound at all. His new PC has 3 year warranty, he did it all via Line and it took only a day to get the PC. Yes, I know he could have got a much better PC for similar price but he doesn't delve into technology like probably you and I do. 

 

One thing's for sure, all this has convinced me I need a new PC very soon. My Mini takes over 6 minutes just to boot up into Win 10!

What processor do you have installed, how much ram and what type of harddisk? These days it should not take more than 60 secs to boot a pc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

What processor do you have installed, how much ram and what type of harddisk? These days it should not take more than 60 secs to boot a pc.

It's an i5 7500T with 8GB RAM on an SSD. I bought it used off of Lazada 1 1/2 years ago. It orig came with a HDD but I copied it over to a M2 nVME SSD but I need to completely wipe and reinstall Win 10. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, freeworld said:

What processor do you have installed, how much ram and what type of harddisk? These days it should not take more than 60 secs to boot a pc.

Okay, I followed ThioJoe on Youtube and performed an in place repair upgrade, which rewrites system files. It worked extremely well now my PC boots up in no time flat. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, patman30 said:

just curious, what are you doing that requires 128GB DDR5 RAM?
or is it just an overkill build?

It's like the guy who buys a Lamborghini and never goes over 100 kph. They think it makes their penis bigger.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, patman30 said:

just curious, what are you doing that requires 128GB DDR5 RAM?
or is it just an overkill build?

I am working with a lot of heavy programs open. But, mostly just overkill, as I want to have absolutely zero problems whatever i do. Would go well with 64 Gb as well.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

It's like the guy who buys a Lamborghini and never goes over 100 kph. They think it makes their penis bigger.

What a stupid comment. Did you learn that one in fourth grade?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

I am working with a lot of heavy programs open. But, mostly just overkill, as I want to have absolutely zero problems whatever i do. Would go well with 64 Gb as well.

my last main rig was overkill which had 128GB DDR4 RAM (ryzen threadripper and 3 x GPU)
but i never got close to using it all so in the end used half the RAM in other rigs when rebuilding it to move as had it wall mounted
now my new main ryzen 9 7900 (low power) rigs run with just 32GB DDR5 which is fine for their needs 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 8:01 PM, gargamon said:

It's like the guy who buys a Lamborghini and never goes over 100 kph. They think it makes their penis bigger.

I went a little overboard with the specs of my last computer build.  The reason being wasn't for bragging rights, (a bigger penis) but for some future proving.  An example is HD to 2k, to 4k and to 8k.  Another example is fiber Gigabyte internet speed.  

 

Also, we don't know how resource hungry a future OS may be. 

 

Same as adding a larger amount of storage to cover future photos, music, movies etc. 

 

It means I do not have to buy a new computer very often.  I get years out of the build because it can handle future technology as it evolves. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Also, we don't know how resource hungry a future OS may be.

Not a problem if you use Linux. I'm running most of my boxes on 10+ year old hardware. Unlike windows, there's very little resource increase requirements when you upgrade versions. But that's understandable as windows main goal is to suck money out of people, either to Microsoft or the hardware providers.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...