No Booze, What Do You Think ?

rocky123

Had 2 buddies fly in Fri arrived in Pattaya 5pm ready to party. I whisked them to the nearest bar and were served 3 beers after that the girl said no more, police come. Took them for a meal at the Pig & Whistle, could not even have a glass of wine. When you ask the Thai people WHY they say, cannot, they dont know why ether. Ok I know theres an election but come on. We went out of the city and there was no restriction the Thai men sat around drinking their Chang no problem, did,nt see any falling about drunk. This ban is only affecting the tourist trade but in Thailand you must do without question. This thread will bring out many of the weathered expats saying if you dont like it ect. With respect do you realy think this is a good law rapping police up with bar checks instead of crime checks. I realise Thailand is in Asia and I must abide by the law of the land but change can be good but if the Thai nation just accept without question, is this realy a democracy ?

The law, AFAIK, is no alcohol to be sold, or even given away, between 6pm on the eve of polling day and midnight polling day itself so you can't even throw a party. Crazy it is, for sure, as well as it is selective in it's enforcement. But through all the elections I experienced in Thailand we always managed to get some beers in. We just had to be a little inventive or think laterally and you are best off avoiding the high profile places like the P & W. Next weekend try going down the narrow sois and look carefully at the bars in semi darkness with the music down low. Or spend the week talking to the various barkeeps, you might find some that "close" have an emergency procedure to deal with the situation.

Generally the Thai people are taught to accept their lot and not to question anything especially authority. Deep down inside most Thais would agree that this rule is completely barmy but the mai phen rai attitude stifles any thought of protest. Virtually the only time you see Thais protesting is when they are being manipulated to serve the vested interests of certain groups and then only on the end of a promise of a free trip to Bangkok and some food.

The law, AFAIK, is no alcohol to be sold, or even given away, between 6pm on the eve of polling day and midnight polling day itself so you can't even throw a party. Crazy it is, for sure, as well as it is selective in it's enforcement. But through all the elections I experienced in Thailand we always managed to get some beers in. We just had to be a little inventive or think laterally and you are best off avoiding the high profile places like the P & W. Next weekend try going down the narrow sois and look carefully at the bars in semi darkness with the music down low. Or spend the week talking to the various barkeeps, you might find some that "close" have an emergency procedure to deal with the situation.

Generally the Thai people are taught to accept their lot and not to question anything especially authority. Deep down inside most Thais would agree that this rule is completely barmy but the mai phen rai attitude stifles any thought of protest. Virtually the only time you see Thais protesting is when they are being manipulated to serve the vested interests of certain groups and then only on the end of a promise of a free trip to Bangkok and some food.

Sad but true.

One weekend is unbelievable to stop serving alcohol for elections, but two is........words fail me!!!

WELL YES SO TIME TO MAKE UP FOR IT WE ARE HAVINGON THURSDAY, YOUR MORE THAN WELCOME,

BUT AT LEAST NEXT WEEK ONLY HAS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY NOT 3 NIGHTS, UNLESS IM WRONG AGAIN (HOPE NOT)

THEN MAYBE HAVE A TRIP OUT TO SOMEWHERE A LITTLE LESS RESORTY!

Do some of you actually go out and have a look for yourself, there were plenty of places openly selling alcohol on both Friday and Saturday nights, i personaly was in the Lucky Time Bar on Soi Nern PLub Waan to at least 3 in the morning on both nights, no problems there was even a policeman in full uniform sat there 1 night drinking coffee. I would guess it will be the same next weekend aswell.

This sums it up rather well.

you poor things - no grog for a couple of days - please support the thais in the way they conduct elections - if the true thais lose maybe the people in the far south west ( aka the muslims) will impose their concept of their (sharia) law on the country and then there will alcohol free days every day of the year!!

two days of sobriety versus no choice - you choose

personally when i come to thailand i find no need to drink but i would never deny the right of people to have a quiet little drink

you poor things - no grog for a couple of days - please support the thais in the way they conduct elections - if the true thais lose maybe the people in the far south west ( aka the muslims) will impose their concept of their (sharia) law on the country and then there will alcohol free days every day of the year!!

two days of sobriety versus no choice - you choose

personally when i come to thailand i find no need to drink but i would never deny the right of people to have a quiet little drink

" i would never deny the right of people to have a quiet little drink" :o

he he, IM GLAD YOU WERENT IN THE ELECTIONS :D

Do some of you actually go out and have a look for yourself, there were plenty of places openly selling alcohol on both Friday and Saturday nights, i personaly was in the Lucky Time Bar on Soi Nern PLub Waan to at least 3 in the morning on both nights, no problems there was even a policeman in full uniform sat there 1 night drinking coffee. I would guess it will be the same next weekend aswell.

I live a short walk away and I noticed it was closed Sat/Sun nite. Not just the door locked and lights off the the metal shutters were down too! Was the back entrance open by chance :o

Micky of the Italian resto Da Micky's also on Nernplubwan complained to me on Sunday that on Saturdaynite, the police came in and shut him down early in the evening...said shut down all the Thai places too. And he is a resto...90% of his trade is food and maybe 10% alcohollic drinks. Sad that small business men like him have to shut down for 5 days this month (on busy weekend days too).

I realise Thailand is in Asia and I must abide by the law of the land but change can be good but if the Thai nation just accept without question, is this realy a democracy ?

i don't understand. do you think Thailand would be a real democracy if "the Thai nation" would question whatever laws are passed and applied and specifically the law "no booze during elections"?

i also dont think your average thai gives a toss if clip joints, gin palaces and the like are closed for a few days, although the poor buffalo make get a bit sicker with no one to pay the bills.

I think the average Thai who runs or works in these joints might just "give a toss" but don't forget to include all the restaurants who see a downturn in trade or close completely. Add into that the shops who comply with the order and then ask yourself a simple question:-

What does this achieve?

We all know that most Thais never visit the beer bars etc of Bangkok and Pattaya, they all have their own places most of which continue as normal. On top of that there are all the little out of the way 'mom n pop' stores that just trade as normal. So the law mainly affects foreign visitors and this year the election is timed for the peak of peak season with the double whammy of a two weekend hit.

The only thing this law does is give the Thai staff of these places the opportunity to go home and vote. But how many actually do that? Most of them are on low wages and cannot afford to travel home and are now saddled with a days lost earnings. Many, if not all, of them can't be ar5ed to do so anyway and if they do then they are prime targets for vote buying to recoup their losses. How does that improve the concept of Thai democracy? And this idea of giving the employees time to go and vote doesn't hold water either otherwise all places of business would be required to close for the same period.

As I've said before, this law doesn't worry me as 1) I'm not currently in Thailand (but would be but for the leave cycle) and 2) I've never experienced a problem getting a beer or three when I have been there. But your average Joe Soap and mrs Soap tourist there for their well earned winter break not knowing the ropes when suddenly finds they can't have a bottle of wine with his dinner are not going to be best pleased.

One weekend is unbelievable to stop serving alcohol for elections, but two is........words fail me!!!

WELL YES SO TIME TO MAKE UP FOR IT WE ARE HAVING ON THURSDAY, YOUR MORE THAN WELCOME,

BUT AT LEAST NEXT WEEK ONLY HAS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY NOT 3 NIGHTS, UNLESS IM WRONG AGAIN (HOPE NOT)

THEN MAYBE HAVE A TRIP OUT TO SOMEWHERE A LITTLE LESS RESORTY!

Sounds like it will be a fun night. :o