Mother And Child Seeking British Citizenship

forgive me if this question has been asked before but I can't find any answers using the search feature on this forum.

I am asking on behalf of a friend.

She has been in the UK for five years with her son who is 17.

How does she apply for UK citizenship for her and her son ?

She has taken the "life in UK test" and passed.

Can she apply as a family for both herself and her son ?

If so which form would she need to use ?

I have looked at the government BIA website but it is not clear to me.

Thanks

SAM

I think anybody who can help you would need to know more, like:

• What is her status, ie married to UK citizen?
  • is the sons farther a UK citizen?

I recall there was a situation recently where a 19 year old was being deported from the UK, his mother was a Thai married to a UK citizen who was not the sons farther and therefore had no entitlement to stay here once he was 18 as he was no longer a dependent.

BB

Edited by Basil B

On the assumption that both the the lady and her son have lived legally in UK for a period of 5 years, that they both hold unrestricted leave to remain in UK and have both passed the Life in UK test (under 18's used to be exempt but it doesn't say such any more) they can apply for British Citizenship on Form AN using this guide

Once that is approved they will have to attend a ceremony to received the Naturalisation certificate.

With the naturalisation certificate the can apply for a British Passport

She is married to a UK citizen but the son's father is Thai. They both have ILR.

The reason for asking is that the guide notes for NM1 form say ...

Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or more

children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition of British

citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family application”.

There is then no further information as to how this "family" application is made. There seems to be no place on either forms (NM1 or AN) to indicate that a family application is being made, as far as I can see.

Just send everything together, with a covering letter listing what you are enclosing. From Guide AN:

WHERE AN APPLICATION IS ACCOMPANIED BY FORMS MN1 IN RESPECT OF YOUR CHILDREN WE REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS FOR THEM.

Each child’s full birth certificate AND

• Each child’s passport of entry to the UK, and any subsequent passports AND

• The parents’ marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate

So just to confirm I understand this correctly.

The adult will complete form AN and then for her son she will complete form MN1 sending them together with the relevant evidence.

Would the payment then be £655 for AN form and £400 for MN1 ?