Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins

george

Are they trumped-up charges? If there's evidence of vote-buying, then there's evidence for the carding... I would wonder if they are so allegedly over-whelmingly popular, why the PPP wouldn't be on their best behavior, not participate in electoral shenanigans, and simply rely on their constituents to vote them in, but then they've been going against that logic since their TRT days... but for PPP overall, I would think they're most concerned about party dissolution, where the evidence of wrong-doing is clear. That case is up in just 10 days, but even sooner, in 6 days is another Supreme Court decision on the PPP's other charges.

Common knowledge that the majority of people in Issan couldn't care less who is in government - they only cheer for whoever gives them the most money in the short term. Talk to them about anything past the end of the current weather season & they get that distracted, far away look on their faces.

TRT & PPP have this "Issan" attitude worked out to an art form & if they were "simply relying on their constituents to vote them in" they know they wouldn't have a chance.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that every effort is being made by the powers that be to support the democrats at this stage. Consider that after all these red cards and yellow cards the huge margin between the parties has been all but wiped out (what is it now, 9 seats?)

If electoral malpractice did not affect the outcome in these seats, surely the ensuing by-elections will cause little change in the number of MPs each party gets. Or will the PPP lose out heavily because the anti-PPP vote will not be split in the by-elections?

and now with this court case on the horizon.

This is a different matter entirely.

If the candidate is red carded the candidate not only has to pay for the by-election but also cannot run it and the party they represent cannot field replacements, so the PPP faces up to 60 odd (probably not that many in reality) constituencies in whicha different party would win. It has already been suggested that if the Puea Pandin did a deal with the PPP leader to join a coalition the PPP would campaign for their candidates in the Isaan and North. The main problem to this would be a lack of trust of course. When everyone is sitting in parliament and voting on who will be PM each MP gets to vote any way they like and an agreement that gives a party an extra bunch of MPs and power does not mean they will honour it when it comes to it. That is unless, being cynical, the second part of a large tranche of mullah is not to be handed over in a large brown paper bag until the PMship is in the bag too!

Thailand has a history of PMs in waiting being jilted by some last minute manouvre completely out of the blue. Narong Wongwan springs to mind, and Samak wont forget how his own cobras abandoned him and his little party edicts to support Chuan as a PM.

The political future (for the short term at least) of Thailand is now in the hands of the judiciary. Before that it was in the hands of the military, and before that it was in the hands of the voters. It must be apparent that the trend is actually AWAY from democracy here.

While the rabid anti-Thaksin lynch mob here cling to the argument that the judiciary is completely impartial and therefore are the appropriate body to determine the countries political leadership, I personally (as many others also) have some serious doubts.

Consider that this battle is basically a contest between the poor peasant class masses and the ruling class elite, and then ask yourself to which background the judiciary owes their privileged existence. Then consider that Thailand has a long and very strong culture of corruption, particularly among the elite ruling class involved in politics. Only the most gullible and naive would believe that the judiciary are completely politically unbiased.

As an American I can attest to the fact that the judiciary is not politically unbiased.

In a perfect world, they would be unbiased, in a perfect world, people would not sell their votes to the highest bidder, in a perfect world, democracy would be the best and the brightest chosen by an informed populace instead of the most avaricious with the biggest empty promises.

Unfortunately, we are not living in a perfect world.

Only the most gullible and naive would believe that the judiciary are completely politically unbiased.

and only the most gullible and naive harbouring wet dreams would be believe that a pro-Thaksin party would have a fair chance to "administer" Thailand unhampered by those who exert power which originates from the muzzle of a gun.

:o

and the only way to bear that imperfect world is to detach and think "what the eff...". i'm lucky being able to do that. my advantage is being a realist and pragmatic... fortunately not a bleeding heart :o

p.s. crucifiers are welcome!

The political future (for the short term at least) of Thailand is now in the hands of the judiciary. Before that it was in the hands of the military, and before that it was in the hands of the voters. It must be apparent that the trend is actually AWAY from democracy here.

While the rabid anti-Thaksin lynch mob here cling to the argument that the judiciary is completely impartial and therefore are the appropriate body to determine the countries political leadership, I personally (as many others also) have some serious doubts.

Consider that this battle is basically a contest between the poor peasant class masses and the ruling class elite, and then ask yourself to which background the judiciary owes their privileged existence. Then consider that Thailand has a long and very strong culture of corruption, particularly among the elite ruling class involved in politics. Only the most gullible and naive would believe that the judiciary are completely politically unbiased.

As an American I can attest to the fact that the judiciary is not politically unbiased.

In a perfect world, they would be unbiased, in a perfect world, people would not sell their votes to the highest bidder, in a perfect world, democracy would be the best and the brightest chosen by an informed populace instead of the most avaricious with the biggest empty promises.

2006-03-28T10_38_30-08_00.jpg

Only the most gullible and naive would believe that the judiciary are completely politically unbiased.

and only the most gullible and naive harbouring wet dreams would be believe that a pro-Thaksin party would have a fair chance to "administer" Thailand unhampered by those who exert power which originates from the muzzle of a gun.

:o

Thats option #2

2006-03-28T10_38_30-08_00.jpg

You lost me on that one.

Was it meant to be satire?

Hey, and lets not forget the Thai police force as a key player in this contest. Don't forget the military junta reshuffled the heads of the police to their liking. The police are an essential conduit between the opposition plaintiffs and the judiciary. The police also play a very important role in the initial investigations of alleged electoral wrongdoings.

Now, if you cant trust the police in Thailand, who can you trust? Anybody out there care to vouch for the integrity of Thai police?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/05Jan2008_news01.php

Here's a glimpse into how the system works.

You lost me on that one.

No, just nodding in agreement.

You can't paint the Courts as some despicable entity and then color the elected politicians as some altruistic heroes. Both of them, in reality, have them their blemishes, with the PPP having it to the point of cystic acne.

Edited by sriracha john

You lost me on that one.

You can't paint the Courts as some despicable entity and then color the elected politicians as some altruistic heroes. Both of them, in reality, have them their blemishes, with the PPP having it to the point of cystic acne.

Well, glad we can come to some agreement there re the corrupt nature of Thai politics up through the echelons of power that are supposed to be apolitical in a true democracy. The "separation of powers" is supposed to be one of the great fundamental checks and balances in a mature democracy, but unfortunately in Thailand those checks and balances don't yet exist due to the extensive class separation in Thai society. Ironically, it is up to the politicians to take the bull by the horns and ensure that an unbiased and fair judiciary is put in place to indeed oversee and check the honesty of the politicians themselves.

In a functional democracy the judiciary must be beyond reproach by either party as must be the police in the functions of their duties. And of course the military should have no involvement in political matters what so ever. What we see in Thailand today is a breakdown in those separation of powers on every front.

I would expect the court to follow the law based upon the voluminous evidence produced by the PPP itself.

Is the PPP a proxy for TRT?

Hmmmm... "Guilty as charged, your Honor"

The TRT does not exist anymore. The PPP might just as well be charged with being a proxy of the man in the moon.

But yes, I do agree with you that the courts will find the charge justified if other methods to prevent the PPP taking power fail.

To all PPP / TRT supporters......................

This is about electoral law, full stop, they are guilty of mass abuse of all that it encompasses, legally and this in itself will more than justify any actions, nothing more and nothing less.

The TRT does exist via the PPP and well you and everyone else knows this.

Thanks to the arrogance of the exiled ones clone, " Samak " and the party in general regarding their unbelievable disregard for electoral laws, along with banned individuals and parties ( some of whom are acting as PPP advisors / overseers??? ), there is more than enough self incriminating evidence out there in the media and and in particular television to disqualify them.

This is fact and well all you PPP /TRT supporters know it.

I hope their is a will to implement the punishment that the E.C. laws clearly state are applicable.

Not a slap on the wrist, as some would want to prevent the possible / obvious chaos the could / would ensue.

The exiled one and his lawyer have also made enough recorded comments to show their intent and objectives for what they are.

Democratically elected to govern, what a load of bollose that is.

Honesty, Integrity, The Unity of the People, Thailand before self ect. ect.

Due to their lack of being able to perceive the moral importance of these when standing as a possibly electable candidate and abiding by electoral laws and guidelines they deserve the ultimate penalty as stated by law.

Disbandment along with all relevant associated penalties that go with it.

IMH and PO as always.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

You lost me on that one.

Well, glad we can come to some agreement there re the corrupt nature of Thai politics up through the echelons of power that are supposed to be apolitical in a true democracy. The "separation of powers" is supposed to be one of the great fundamental checks and balances in a mature democracy, but unfortunately in Thailand those checks and balances don't yet exist due to the extensive class separation in Thai society. Ironically, it is up to the politicians to take the bull by the horns and ensure that an unbiased and fair judiciary is put in place to indeed oversee and check the honesty of the politicians themselves.

In a functional democracy the judiciary must be beyond reproach by either party as must be the police in the functions of their duties. And of course the military should have no involvement in political matters what so ever. What we see in Thailand today is a breakdown in those separation of powers on every front.

There's not been adequate checks and balances in Thailand for a long time, if ever, but on whole, I would say the judiciary is the lesser offending than the legislative or executive.

Edited by sriracha john

Thai "stealth coup" threatens pro-Thaksin victory

By Ed Cropley

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Fears of a post-election dirty tricks campaign by Thailand's old guard appear to be coming true.

Having come within a whisker of an outright majority in December's poll, the party backing ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is facing an unusually high number of fraud complaints against its winning candidates, analysts said on Friday.

The Supreme Court has also agreed to hear three cases that could lead to the pro-Thaksin People Power Party (PPP) being disbanded, or some or all of the poll results being annulled. Of 83 candidates being investigated by the Election Commission (EC), whose five members were appointed by the army after the September 2006 coup, 65 are from the PPP.

Although there is no indication how many will end up disqualified, or "red-carded" as soccer-mad Thais like to call it, the high proportion of accepted complaints against the PPP and the EC's distinct lack of openness has raised eyebrows. "The idea of 65 suspicious cases against PPP seems odd," said Kevin Hewison, a Thai politics researcher at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"To change the course of the election you need between 20 and 30 red cards and that seems highly likely at this stage. They may well overturn the result."

With so much at stake in the election, analysts thought it inevitable that the army and royalist establishment accused of inspiring the coup would pull out all the stops to ensure a pro-Thaksin administration did not emerge. However, when the PPP beat most projections to win 233 of the 480 seats in parliament, it appeared at first that the generals had yielded and accepted the result, even though they know they are in trouble if Thaksin or his proxies get in to power.

"COUP BY STEALTH"

Perhaps fearful of riling the EC, a PPP spokesman said he was not unduly concerned by the probes and hoped the party's candidates would be able to clear themselves.

However, firebrand party chief Samak Sundaravej has accused a "dirty invisible hand" of meddling in the post-election process, widely interpreted as a reference to chief royal adviser Prem Tinsulanonda, who Thaksin supporters say organized the coup.

In the first sign of public anger, 30,000 people in Buriram, a Thaksin stronghold in the northeast, rallied in front of the provincial EC offices to complain about the disqualification of three PPP candidates last week, police said.

Election commissioner Prapan Naikowit denied any bias, saying the higher number of complaints against the PPP was merely a reflection of it having the most winning candidates. "We are not discriminating. The EC's investigations are fairly based on fact and evidence," he told reporters in Bangkok.

The machinations alleged by Samak, if true, are indicative of a Bangkok elite unable to accept the voice of an electorate still predominantly rural and poorly educated despite two decades of rapid economic growth, analysts said. "It is to some extent a coup by stealth, trying to chip away at the electoral mandate of the PPP by using technical means to disqualify candidates," said Andrew Walker of the Australian National University in Canberra. "What Thailand lacks is a culture of respect for the majority decision," he said. "The view is that if the electorate comes up with a decision that certain people in the elite don't like, then that government can be got rid of."

If the PPP does indeed end up disqualified or with a severely depleted number of candidates, the anti-Thaksin Democrats are likely to emerge as leaders of a weak and unstable coalition involving as many as five other parties.

(Additional reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Michael Battye and Roger Crabb)

Are they trumped-up charges? If there's evidence of vote-buying, then there's evidence for the carding... I would wonder if they are so allegedly over-whelmingly popular, why the PPP wouldn't be on their best behavior, not participate in electoral shenanigans, and simply rely on their constituents to vote them in, but then they've been going against that logic since their TRT days... but for PPP overall, I would think they're most concerned about party dissolution, where the evidence of wrong-doing is clear. That case is up in just 10 days, but even sooner, in 6 days is another Supreme Court decision on the PPP's other charges.

Common knowledge that the majority of people in Issan couldn't care less who is in government - they only cheer for whoever gives them the most money in the short term. Talk to them about anything past the end of the current weather season & they get that distracted, far away look on their faces.

TRT & PPP have this "Issan" attitude worked out to an art form & if they were "simply relying on their constituents to vote them in" they know they wouldn't have a chance.

Common knowledge where, Soundman? In Kabin, which is not part of Issan?

I do live here, and amongst my extended family and those around us they think a bit more than who gives them the money - because quite frankly, all the major parties do so. While I don't agree with their PPP/TRT choice, I have no doubt they have given it some thought - based on self interest.

For your edification and education it is currently the dry season, so the looks on their faces are engaged and interested. How very superior of you to hypothesize otherwise :o

I do live here, and amongst my extended family and those around us they think a bit more than who gives them the money - because quite frankly, all the major parties do so. While I don't agree with their PPP/TRT choice, I have no doubt they have given it some thought - based on self interest.

For your edification and education it is currently the dry season, so the looks on their faces are engaged and interested. How very superior of you to hypothesize otherwise :o

My my. Touched on a raw nerve there did we? :D

Did I ever accuse you of not living here (congratulations on a splendid choice of country BTW) or not knowing the season? I think not.

May I suggest that after you have looked into the root of the problem as in your statement "I have no doubt they have given it some thought - based on self interest" - you may find that the average citizen living in the North East of Thailand doesn't think past the short term financial gain.

Do you see them voting for parties with policies that embrace educational benefits or "real" macro economic fiscal policies. That is easy, I will answer it for you - no, they have no idea the choices were even there.

They only vote for parties that provide a neet little hand out on election day, give opportunities for easy loans (they sure understand these) that in their minds they think they don't have to pay back if the going becomes a little tough & vote for whatever party the local gumnan, poo yai, or nayok instructs them to vote for.

Now, while you are getting on your high horse & lecturing me on superiorty issues, it may be wise to actually take a step back, have a little look (just a peek should suffice) at the whole situation with an open mind without any pre-formed biases & make a clear and rational judgement as to the situation with the buyable vote in Issan, and how this leaves Thailand's future shaky all because of the greed and avarice of one meglomaniac.

Cheers & wish you the best of health in the new year. :D

Soundman.

(...)

They only vote for parties that provide a neet little hand out on election day, give opportunities for easy loans (they sure understand these) that in their minds they think they don't have to pay back if the going becomes a little tough & vote for whatever party the local gumnan, poo yai, or nayok instructs them to vote for.

Now, while you are getting on your high horse & lecturing me on superiorty issues, it may be wise to actually take a step back, have a little look (just a peek should suffice) at the whole situation with an open mind without any pre-formed biases & make a clear and rational judgement as to the situation with the buyable vote in Issan, and how this leaves Thailand's future shaky all because of the greed and avarice of one meglomaniac.

I think jackspratt has a point, though. Soundman, you call for open mind without biases, but the very way you write about Isaan people ("Common knowledge that the majority of people in Issan couldn't care less who is in government...", etc) sounds like an echo of the very biased view the Thai elite have about Isaan.

So, just one question: Have you taken the time to talk directly with Isaan people about politics, and to listen to their side of the story?

Edited by pete_r

I think jackspratt has a point, though. Soundman, you call for open mind without biases, but the very way you write about Isaan people ("Common knowledge that the majority of people in Issan couldn't care less who is in government...", etc) sounds like an echo of the very biased view the Thai elite have about Isaan.

So, just one question: Have you taken the time to talk directly with Isaan people about politics and listen to what they have to say?

Yes I have, and I see many people at the end of every month forming queues around the cheap loan centres dealing with the loan sharks for 10% per week bridging finance to pay back last years loan so they can apply for a new one.

Please prove me wrong and show that the wonderful people (not at all sarcastic) of Issan actually do care about their long term futures, past the next harvest or dry season when they can come home from migratory work just to save up for the next year's planting bills.

Talking with (and trying to advise :o - losing battle there) my staff members before Dec 23, I would ask them which way they were going to vote. Taxin (not Samak or PPP) they would reply. Why I would ask? Because he is the only person that gives us money they would reply....... How many of you have actually received money from him apart from for your vote I would ask. Long stares & far away looks....

No mention of any other factors that might influence their lives at all. Very sad really.

Money politics traps the average Thai citizen into a rut (21st century slavery some might call it) on so many levels that it is almost worth taking up a case with the human rights commisiion at the Hague.

TRT & the PPP clones are masters at this.

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

So they gathered 30,000 strong crowd outside of EC office, which is not only intimidating but truly frightening. At the same time they blame some other, "invisible" hand for trying to influence EC's investigations.

How can that hand be scarier than a raving mob outside your door?

Question: at what moment it will become ok to storm EC offices under pretext of fighting the "invisible hand"?

Samak has lots of experience in this kind of "people's justice".

Unusually high number of PPP cases - maybe they shouldn't have resorted to vote buying in the first place. Same as when TRT was dissolved - they don't argue they were innocent, they just resent being caught.

Bangkok results didn't follow Samak's own polls - actually the results are consistent with overall votes for Democrats. No way PPP would crash Democrats 21 to 9 in Bangkok while losing popular vote nationwide, but a little complaining wouldn't hurt.

Unfortunately there's no meat in all these allegations, and most likely very few of those 65 will be disqualified. Samak and PPP are just doing their part for "national reconciliation", let's hope no one dies for Samak's "unity" this time.

>>>>

I don't understand how some people are fooled to believe that this is peasants vs. elite stand off when PPP is quite openly representing Thaksin and no one else. Their MPs flew to Hong Kong after the elections, not to Buriram.

>>>>

Interesting how PPP promises to support Pua Paendin candidates in by-elections while Pua Paendin hasn't commited itself to PPP alliance yet and its execs talk to press about going with Democrats if PPP loses too many candidates.

I don't understand how some posters here suspect junta's hand in all kinds of nefarious activities while accepting everything serial liars from PPP say as unquestionale truth.

When someone like Samak raves about something - don't simply take it with a grain of salt, put it away for a couple of days first, chances are his concoction evaporates completely and there will be nothing left.

("Common knowledge that the majority of people in Issan couldn't care less who is in government...", etc) sounds like an echo of the very biased view the Thai elite have about Isaan.

Not at all. When you start talking about corruption charges against Thaksin, all Isan supporters here state that everyone is corrupt, doesn't matter who is in the office, but Thaksin was the first one to take care of the little people.

Last months Blaze posted an interesting link to an article about voting in Thailand, based on "Tale of two democracies" by Anek Laothamas. There they actually shown through a research that rural voters don't care about candidates capabilities, integrity and all that lofty stuff. They vote for likable people with local touch who can do things for their own little villages.

Take these elections - people actually believed that if they voted for PPP Thaksin would return, become the PM and everything would be fine. That was an extremely naive belief with zero chance of happening. What were they thinking? Were they thinking at all?

Yes, well keep it up pro-coup, pro-elite types, the foreign media have now blasted this planet wide - and I reckon this Reuters report is spot on. You've lost the argument - but I doubt you've lost the war - sadly. Your friends with the long last names will win - I'm almost certain, since they are actually anti-international - except where it concerns their little brats' education of course...One can only hope the international biz elite vote with their feet and re-locate somewhere more 'friendly'.

Edited by thaigene2

Thanks for that, Thaigene.. Generally speaking I think it's quite remarkable the lengths that some people manage to go through in advocating their hate, day after day, on this forum. I posted this article as an example, and made sure to include the source (Reuters) in response to a daily barrage of articles from the likes of The Nation by junta apologists. I could go on and on, but I do have a life and a family to attend to. :o

Thanks for that, Thaigene.. Generally speaking I think it's quite remarkable the lengths that some people manage to go through in advocating their hate, day after day, on this forum. I posted this article as an example, and made sure to include the source (Reuters) in response to a daily barrage of articles from the likes of The Nation by junta apologists. I could go on and on, but I do have a life and a family to attend to. :o

Thaks Hobbs

Me too. I think the topic has been exhausted, and we know where this is heading now (though it was pretty clear before too).

I agree - as disgusting as it is, nothing can be influenced or gained through this - and it's time to return to domestic affairs and let this runs its inevitable course. Thanks to Reuters..hope others follow the story and tell the world the truth.

That's how BBC has put it:

Mr Samak, who openly supports the exiled Mr Thaksin, told domestic radio: "They are trying hard to topple us by asking the court to void the election."

He said that an "invisible and dirty hand" was interfering in the election process, but he said he was confident that the commission was investigating the issue fairly and that the candidates would prove their innocence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7171454.stm

Reuters above was incorrect when it said that "PPP beat most projections to win 233 of the 480 seats". You can't find any projection where PPP was not expected to win ever since Consitution referendum.

And quoting some Australian pandit: "What Thailand lacks is a culture of respect for the majority decision," - what a moron! Where was he in 2001 and 2005??? And this time, as he hasn't obviously noticed, majority decision was to have Democrat led government. MPs in Parlament can override that and no one would protest because these are the rules. These are the signs of respect for "majority decision", not Samak's wild claims.

That's how BBC has put it:

Mr Samak, who openly supports the exiled Mr Thaksin, told domestic radio: "They are trying hard to topple us by asking the court to void the election."

He said that an "invisible and dirty hand" was interfering in the election process, but he said he was confident that the commission was investigating the issue fairly and that the candidates would prove their innocence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7171454.stm

Reuters above was incorrect when it said that "PPP beat most projections to win 233 of the 480 seats". You can't find any projection where PPP was not expected to win ever since Consitution referendum.

And quoting some Australian pandit: "What Thailand lacks is a culture of respect for the majority decision," - what a moron! Where was he in 2001 and 2005??? And this time, as he hasn't obviously noticed, majority decision was to have Democrat led government. MPs in Parlament can override that and no one would protest because these are the rules. These are the signs of respect for "majority decision", not Samak's wild claims.

Oh yeah Plus - he's a moron and you're not. Who's the flamer? Should you be 'reported'? Oh, that probably wouldn't work would it..