Tv Set Has Only One Set Of Cinch Plugs

pete_r

Ok, so I've just bought one of these DVD players with a USB port and went home happy until I realized that there is only one set of IN cinch plugs on my television set... So it looks like I can connect either the satellite receiver or the DVD player, but not both at the same time. Which is inconvenient.

Any wizard out there who could help me out with that?

There is a coaxial OUT in the back of the satellite receiver, could I use it to connect the receiver to the coaxial IN of the TV set?

Ok, so I've just bought one of these DVD players with a USB port and went home happy until I realized that there is only one set of IN cinch plugs on my television set... So it looks like I can connect either the satellite receiver or the DVD player, but not both at the same time. Which is inconvenient.

There is a coaxial OUT in the back of the satellite receiver, could I use it to connect the receiver to the coaxial IN of the TV set?

dont know what cinch plugs are but if they same as audio round plus 3 x different coulers red yellow and white you can buy a spliter for about 200 bhat tuck com

and it accepts 3.

i have sat, cctv, dvd

so you should be ok

Most sat rec have a 75ohm or may be marked as UHF output connect on the back.  The output is normal ether channel 27 or 42 uhf.  You can let the TV search and it will find it if you have the sat rec turned on and a station selected.  I use the output to send sat rec video around the whole house which has been pre wired with video jeck in every room, but you have to go into the living room to change sat rec channel.   You could feed the TV sat from UHF with a cable and use the RCA jacks for the DVD player, then select TV mode on the tv to watch the sat and select video

mode on the tv to watch DVD.   Thats the way mine ends up working.

Yeah I use all 3 outputs on my UBC box.. One goes to living room TV.. The s-video goes to a video scaler and to the media room projector.. the component goes to a transmitter that broadcasts it out to bedrooms. So you almost certainly have another output / input you can use..

If not tho a 'video switch' is available for a few baht with multiple inputs and a manual switch.

The red and white(audio) and yellow(video) jacks are called RCA jacks. The back of your TV will have these three jacks(or only 2 if your TV is not stereo) plus a coaxial in jack. The back of the DVD player should have three rca jacks plus a coaxial out. I would connect the DVD player using the RCA jacks and the sat box using the coax. Now use the TV remote to toggle between the 2 different sources. The RCA input is often called A/V on the TV menu.

P

An RCA jack, also referred to as a phono connector or CINCH/AV connector, is a type of electrical connector that is commonly used in the audio/video market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector

That's what I've done: UBC box > TV using coax cable, and DVD > TV using RCA/phono/CINCH cable.

The sound from the UBC box goes to a separate amplified stereo speaker system.

The sound from the DVD comes out from the crap TV speaker, so I need to do something about that.

I just bought a 4 GB flash drive and put 6 episodes of Heroes on it, but they are displayed as:

Heroes~1

Heroes~2

Heroes~3

etc

so I think I'd better rename them shorter so I can see the true episode number, as those "DOS" names aren't related to the actual episode number :o .

Bump.

My sat box is now connected to the TV by coaxial, but I'm at a loss how to tune the TV and/or the sat box.

The RF out jack in the back of the sat box says "CH21-69", and I've found a function on the sat remote to scan these channels, but without result. I've also tested all the channels on the TV set, but none displays the signal from the sat box.

Another inscription next to the RF out jack in the back of the sat box is "PAL B/G/I/K", I don't know if it is relevant.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Pete_r does your TV have an auto tune/channel search function?

Make sure the UBC box is on and all your connections are tight. Go into the TV menu and look for something like channel set up.

Have it auto tune and it will automatically assign strong channel signals it finds to numbers.

My latest TV set found the UBC signal fine and placed it after a few random over the air signals it piked up before finding the UBC signal (e.g. some random channels on 1, 2 and 3 and my UBC is displayed on channel 4)

My older TV set unfortunately didn't pick up the signal using the auto tune function and I had to do a manual tune. (which was about 25 minutes of sitting in front of the TV bumping the frequencies on the set one at a time until I found the signal and then locked it into a channel. Pain in the ass experience but I only had to do it once.)

Edited by ozymandious

Just got it!

The TV has no auto-tune (low-end model), but I've been lucky to find the signal after scanning manually only 10 minutes. The signal comes around 783MHz in my case.

Thanks again for the replies, very helpful. :o

Yeah I use all 3 outputs on my UBC box.. One goes to living room TV.. The s-video goes to a video scaler and to the media room projector.. the component goes to a transmitter that broadcasts it out to bedrooms. So you almost certainly have another output / input you can use..

If not tho a 'video switch' is available for a few baht with multiple inputs and a manual switch.

LivinLOS,

What is the transmitter that you use to broadcast UBC to bedrooms? We have UBC connected in our living room and wanted to be able to watch it in our bedroom as well, but was told by the technicians that we had to instal another unit..... another cost. Would greatly appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks

The extra box is just so you can change station remote like in the other room.  If all you want is to send signal to other room you need nothing just a cable.  If you start spliting it just use the same type amp you use for a uhf antenna some are both vhf/uhf then you can split up to four times.  its a reg tv signal your routing

Thats correct but I actually bought a wireless Tx and Rx package that also beams the remote signal back to the UBC box.. Signal quality wasnt so good tho so I ended up cabling it and just using the IR feature..

I used to have half a dozen of these things in my house in the UK:

8210.jpg

They enabled me to control the sat box, VCR, and stereo from any room in the house. I also had many 4-way programmable remote controls ('learning' type) so just one remote was needed in each room.

None of that stuff seems so important now. :o