Need A Walk-through For Udon Thani->vientiane Tourist Visa

So far I've planned a flight arriving at 7am at Udon Thani airport. Were I to step off that plane with what I currently know, I'd be almost entirely lost. I've read about there being buses going to the Friendship Bridge but I think I'll need a little more to go on, namely what bus specifically: is it a local numbered bus, a private kind of tour bus, a sort of airport express bus, or what? And more importantly, how do I get to it once off the plane? Is there a stop at the arrivals terminal or do I have to go somewhere else or off the airport grounds entirely? Also, it'd be helpful to know its cost, schedule, and travel time to the bridge.

Once I get off this bus at the bridge, I'm again in unknown territory, so I'll need some more help, please :D . My goal is to reach the Thai embassy in Vientiane in time to submit a tourist visa application before noon. I think I read something about tuk-tuks, taxis, songthaews, or maybe some other type of conveyances, but which one? I'd like to get to the embassy reasonably quickly but I think I've allowed enough time that I don't need to pay an exorbitant fee to get there. And do I exit Thailand/enter Laos right after I'm off the bus from the airport, i.e. do I walk to the border crossing, or is it the purpose of the second set of transports to get me there?

Once at the border and across, I take it I should expect another group of taxis, motorcys, etc. there to greet me. Here again, what do I do :o ? I'd like to go straight from this point to the embassy, drop off my passport and application, and then continue to a nearby one or two star accomodation for the night. How long is the trip from the border to the embassy? Should I be able to make it by noon? Would it make more sense to hire a motorcy or taxi for this leg, or are the songthaews (or equivalent) frequent and prevelent enough to just hop on one of those. Also, any hotel recommendations?

For the trip back, after a 1pm pickup of my passport at the embassy, can I just retrace my reroute, essentially? The flight back out of Udon Thani leaves at 6:10pm. Does it look like I'll have enough time to reach it?

Oh, and some visa questions: Is the latest word still that Vientiane is 'friendly' toward tourist visa apps? And is my application day of Wednesday one of the 'good' days? I read somewhere never to apply on Mondays (I think), that whoever is manning the window that day often rejects applicants. I won't have bank statements or other financial proof of support, will that pose a problem? Finally, I'm hoping for a double entry tourist visa, as I read they were still available in Vientiane. Still the case? I'll even pay for a triple if those are on offer. Any reports of that?

Hope I've covered everything. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a bit constrained on the time I have for this.

Ok thats a pretty tight time frame, but here is waht I woudl do doesnt mean it's the best.

Get a Tuk or cab at the airport have them take you to the bus station by Lotus, hourly buses run to Nong Khai some to the bridge try find the one to Freindship bridge.

At the bridge you do a short process on the Thai side purchase a ride across the bridge. Then yuo process with Lao immigration. Pay your money to enter Lao. There will be cab at teh border, haev them take you to immigation. About 30 min. ride. It will help a lot if you have your paper work and documents ready before you go.

They are not kidding they shut down at 1200, you will see why when you get there a busy place. You dont have much time so I would keep my nose to the grindstone till you get everything submitted.

You will get a 15 day visa so if soemthing goes wrong you will have time to correct it. but it will mean one more day there. Not a bad place to mes around for a day.

Now that is how I would do it but doesn't mean it's the best way.

If time is of essence, don't bother going to Udon Thani bus station. There are mini busses that leave straight from the airport to the friendship bridge, only 150 baht, one hour. You can buy a ticket for this bus at the airport, just after you have entered the arrival hall (after getting your lugguage). Don't worry the desk where they sell this ticket has a big sign. The bus leaves when it is full, and they of course run just after a plane has arrived. (maybe they wait about 10 minutes, but that's all).

The mini bus will bring you straight to the bridge, where you need to get stamped out. There is a bus that will bring you over the bridge toward Lao immigration, 15 baht, takes about 3 minutes. Go to the immigration desk, get a visa application form, fill it out, give them your passport, the form, a photo and the visa fee (depended on nationality, 35 USD for most W. Europeans and US citizens), you will receive your passport back together with the arrival/departure card, fill this in and enter the country. You might have to pay a 20 baht arrival fee, after you have been stamped into the country.

Now there is a desk to your left, where you can order a tuk tuk, shared taxi or a normal taxi. Get the normal taxi and state the embassy as your destination, 250 baht about 30 minutes.

Easy..

Edited by sjaak327

If time is of essence, don't bother going to Udon Thani bus station. There are mini busses that leave straight from the airport to the friendship bridge, only 150 baht, one hour. You can buy a ticket for this bus at the airport, just after you have entered the arrival hall (after getting your lugguage). Don't worry the desk where they sell this ticket has a big sign. The bus leaves when it is full, and they of course run just after a plane has arrived. (maybe they wait about 10 minutes, but that's all).

The mini bus will bring you straight to the bridge, where you need to get stamped out. There is a bus that will bring you over the bridge toward Lao immigration, 15 baht, takes about 3 minutes. Go to the immigration desk, get a visa application form, fill it out, give them your passport, the form, a photo and the visa fee (depended on nationality, 35 USD for most W. Europeans and US citizens), you will receive your passport back together with the arrival/departure card, fill this in and enter the country. You might have to pay a 20 baht arrival fee, after you have been stamped into the country.

Now there is a desk to your left, where you can order a tuk tuk, shared taxi or a normal taxi. Get the normal taxi and state the embassy as your destination, 250 baht about 30 minutes.

Easy..

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of breakdown I was looking for.

Some helpful stuff so far, but these remain unanswered:

For the trip back, after a 1pm pickup of my passport at the embassy, can I just retrace my reroute, essentially? The flight back out of Udon Thani leaves at 6:10pm. Does it look like I'll have enough time to reach it?

Oh, and some visa questions: Is the latest word still that Vientiane is 'friendly' toward tourist visa apps? And is my application day of Wednesday one of the 'good' days? I read somewhere never to apply on Mondays (I think), that whoever is manning the window that day often rejects applicants. I won't have bank statements or other financial proof of support, will that pose a problem? Finally, I'm hoping for a double entry tourist visa, as I read they were still available in Vientiane. Still the case? I'll even pay for a triple if those are on offer. Any reports of that?

I'm interested also as I have to do it end of next month. Also, what is the turn around time for the visa? Submit morning one day, pick up afternoon the next? This is important to know for booking with Air Asia.

I think that anyday is a okay day there i have been a couple of times on a Monday and no probs at all, somebody posted before saying they have got a double entry recently so you might be in luck with a triple...

I dont recall you said where you were going back to from Udon ,but if its BKK then i would look into a train journey if you cant work a flight time right.. i love it..2 leave everynight 1 at 6 and 1 at 6.45 and take 12 hours..

Youll be hard pushed to find a bar thats open after 10 its like a ghost town their..but i do recomend a afternoon meal overlooking the mekong..very nice

Actually sounds like a much better way to do it then I would, so if need be use mine as a back up plna. You see I live in Udon so didn't know about the airport, annual visa for four years now so it's been awhile. I enjoyed Vientene but I donlt mis going there much not enough to pay $35.00 to visit :o Only place in life I ever paid in excess of a 100K for lunch.

When I was making my visa runs they didn't have ATM machines available has that changed?

You will get the local currency, Kip.

In fact you don't really need USD in Laos, in fact it's better to pay in local currency for most things. Also you can pay for things in Thai baht as well, but of course you will loose some money as opposed to pay in Kip.

In fact you don't really need USD in Laos, in fact it's better to pay in local currency for most things. Also you can pay for things in Thai baht as well, but of course you will loose some money as opposed to pay in Kip.

You certainly don't need US$ in Lao, but if you're there only for a few hours then don't waste your time with Lao Kip - everyone will accept Baht, and any loss would be tiny - not worth bothering about. I've used 20 baht notes to get a quick meal in the market... who wants a wad of worthless Kip to take home?

You certainly don't need US$ in Lao, but if you're there only for a few hours then don't waste your time with Lao Kip - everyone will accept Baht, and any loss would be tiny - not worth bothering about. I've used 20 baht notes to get a quick meal in the market... who wants a wad of worthless Kip to take home?

Another point to remember is that you can't change Kip (pronounced "Gihp") back to Baht in Thailand. Change it before you return or be stuck with it until your next Lao trip.

:o

As a (reluctant) vet of going to Laos for visas, the one consistent factor is that when paying in baht,dollars or kip its always a good idea to ask how much it would cost if paying in one of the other two - you'd be amazed how you can save , there seems to be no rhyme not reason when the rates are offered and you pay in the currency that suits. Agreed, noone wants to come home with a suitcase full of kip - well, unless planning a return trip.

Lao immigration...get a visa application form, fill it out, give them your passport, the form, a photo and the visa fee (depended on nationality, 35 USD for most W. Europeans and US citizens)

Do they accept Thai baht or only US dollars?

Lodestone,

They accept both, but you generally save a few baht if you use US dollars. My last trip over was in June and I wrote about my experience here. However, I can't tell you if anything changed in the last 6 months.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1376715

You should check out the Royal Thai Embassy website for additional info:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ervices_en.html

I can also confirm they have transportation at the airport, never used it but saw a sign on the wall advertising 150bt to Vientiane.

Good luck & have a good trip.

Lao immigration...get a visa application form, fill it out, give them your passport, the form, a photo and the visa fee (depended on nationality, 35 USD for most W. Europeans and US citizens)

Do they accept Thai baht or only US dollars?

Lodestone,

They accept both, but you generally save a few baht if you use US dollars. My last trip over was in June and I wrote about my experience here. However, I can't tell you if anything changed in the last 6 months.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1376715

You should check out the Royal Thai Embassy website for additional info:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ervices_en.html

I can also confirm they have transportation at the airport, never used it but saw a sign on the wall advertising 150bt to Vientiane.

Good luck & have a good trip.

Thanks for the info! Do you have any cheap (1 or 2 star, well under 1000 baht/night) hotel or guest house recommendations, preferably near the Thai embassy?

I take it that it's also there for the afternoon flight (just been looking at Air Asia's flights and there are no seats on the early flight for the days I want)?

Which begs the question, what time does the border close? The flight arrives at 1715, so one hour and that's 1815, so I suppose it's open until 1900?

So far I've planned a flight arriving at 7am at Udon Thani airport. Were I to step off that plane with what I currently know, I'd be almost entirely lost. I've read about there being buses going to the Friendship Bridge but I think I'll need a little more to go on, namely what bus specifically: is it a local numbered bus, a private kind of tour bus, a sort of airport express bus, or what? And more importantly, how do I get to it once off the plane? Is there a stop at the arrivals terminal or do I have to go somewhere else or off the airport grounds entirely? Also, it'd be helpful to know its cost, schedule, and travel time to the bridge.

Once I get off this bus at the bridge, I'm again in unknown territory, so I'll need some more help, please :D . My goal is to reach the Thai embassy in Vientiane in time to submit a tourist visa application before noon. I think I read something about tuk-tuks, taxis, songthaews, or maybe some other type of conveyances, but which one? I'd like to get to the embassy reasonably quickly but I think I've allowed enough time that I don't need to pay an exorbitant fee to get there. And do I exit Thailand/enter Laos right after I'm off the bus from the airport, i.e. do I walk to the border crossing, or is it the purpose of the second set of transports to get me there?

Once at the border and across, I take it I should expect another group of taxis, motorcys, etc. there to greet me. Here again, what do I do :o ? I'd like to go straight from this point to the embassy, drop off my passport and application, and then continue to a nearby one or two star accomodation for the night. How long is the trip from the border to the embassy? Should I be able to make it by noon? Would it make more sense to hire a motorcy or taxi for this leg, or are the songthaews (or equivalent) frequent and prevelent enough to just hop on one of those. Also, any hotel recommendations?

Hope I've covered everything. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a bit constrained on the time I have for this.

From Udon airport there is plenty of taxi's and tut tut's go to the train station it is only 3 bart to go to Nong khai and then about 100 bart to go to the friendship bridge. have 2 passport pics and $50 us and you are over in no time, in laos there are tut tut's. about 20mins to town.