One Way Street Is A Disaster

misterme

Touted as a trial in January, the 'One Way Street' system looks like it's become permanent.

First of all, it runs the wrong way.

Safety:

To leave Patong, you need to drive to the Beach road (Tawewong). Meaning any Tsunami/Evacuation route leads toward the beach. During tsunami warnings, they had police reverse the traffic direction temporarily. I'd rather have police doing better things during a real emergency.

The current system requires multiple changes of driving on the right-side and allows no through traffic at intersections. If the one way ran in the opposite direction (Taweewong ~ South, Ratch-U-Tit 200 ~ North), all connecting street traffic would be able to drive on the left side, and at intersections (Sai Nam Yen) you could continue straight. Of course, the traffic lights could then be used.

No Traffic Lights are used in Patong anymore. Meaning there is no break for pedestrians, and no speed controls. It looks like the Patong 500 road race.

Traffic Jams are worse than before. Much of the traffic is forced to go around a 2KM longer route if their destination is the opposite way of traffic (up to 4KM when Bangla is closed at night), meaning much of the traffic jams are avoidable. If 2 way system, the amount of traffic stuck on the one way loop wouldn't exist. Double parking is common here (not even talking about tuk-tuks), but now it happens on both sides grinding the whole circle route to a halt ( or one slow lane).

Heavy Trucks usage wears out the roads quicker. With a 2 way road system, you can restrict heavy trafic to one route. The current system

Business affects.

Because of the long distances to get from A-B. It's just too inconvenient. I don't use the same Laundry, Internet, or Restaurants. Where are they getting their new customers... because as the traffic moves one way, customers are likely stopping at one 'on the way'.

Waste of Fuel/Energy. From business errands, to Motorcycle/Tuk-Tuk, to everyday people, we all spend more on gas now. The thais are on the Global Warming Kick (Loke Lon) but fail to see what a waste of energy this creates. Business budgets, personal budgets... everyone

Answers / Solutions:

Opening Dead End Sois: It worked for Soi San Sabai/Soi Banzaan. Dead end quiet streets that are now bustling. Rents have gone up, businesses are thriving. Between Ratch-U-Tit and Taweewong, between Nanai and Ratch-U-Tit, there are plenty of dead end sois to open. Why not open Soi Kepsap, and ones along Patong Tower, etc, etc?

Finnish the Middle Road / Dirt Road: Goes without saying.

Reversing the direction: Now this would require that Thais admit they were wrong. But it would only make sence. From safety and convenience, not having to switch from leftside driving to rightside driving, activating the traffic lights, and creating drive through intersections. EASY except for the pride factor.

Any thoughts or comments? Ideas on how to improve? Yesterday traffic was a complete dissaster?

I know every lobby group that is Farang has no credibility here. Is there anyway to get the Thais to agree and effect change?

Thanks in advance :o

misterme

Touted as a trial in January, the 'One Way Street' system looks like it's become permanent.

Safety:

To leave Patong, you need to drive to the Beach road (Tawewong). Meaning any Tsunami/Evacuation route leads toward the beach. During tsunami warnings, they had police reverse the traffic direction temporarily. I'd rather have police doing better things during a real emergency.

The current system requires multiple changes of driving on the right-side and allows no through traffic at intersections. If the one way ran in the opposite direction (Taweewong ~ South, Ratch-U-Tit 200 ~ North), all connecting street traffic would be able to drive on the left side, and at intersections (Sai Nam Yen) you could continue straight. Of course, the traffic lights could then be used.

No Traffic Lights are used in Patong anymore. Meaning there is no break for pedestrians, and no speed controls. It looks like the Patong 500 road race.

Traffic Jams are worse than before. Much of the traffic is forced to go around a 2KM longer route if their destination is the opposite way of traffic (up to 4KM when Bangla is closed at night), meaning much of the traffic jams are avoidable. If 2 way system, the amount of traffic stuck on the one way loop wouldn't exist. Double parking is common here (not even talking about tuk-tuks), but now it happens on both sides grinding the whole circle route to a halt ( or one slow lane).

Heavy Trucks usage wears out the roads quicker. With a 2 way road system, you can restrict heavy trafic to one route. The current system

Business affects.

Because of the long distances to get from A-B. It's just too inconvenient. I don't use the same Laundry, Internet, or Restaurants. Where are they getting their new customers... because as the traffic moves one way, customers are likely stopping at one 'on the way'.

Waste of Fuel/Energy. From business errands, to Motorcycle/Tuk-Tuk, to everyday people, we all spend more on gas now. The thais are on the Global Warming Kick (Loke Lon) but fail to see what a waste of energy this creates. Business budgets, personal budgets... everyone

Answers / Solutions:

Opening Dead End Sois: It worked for Soi San Sabai/Soi Banzaan. Dead end quiet streets that are now bustling. Rents have gone up, businesses are thriving. Between Ratch-U-Tit and Taweewong, between Nanai and Ratch-U-Tit, there are plenty of dead end sois to open. Why not open Soi Kepsap, and ones along Patong Tower, etc, etc?

Reversing the direction: Now this would require that Thais admit they were wrong. But it would only make sence. From safety and convenience, not having to switch from leftside driving to rightside driving, activating the traffic lights, and creating drive through intersections. EASY except for the pride factor.

Any thoughts or comments? Ideas on how to improve? Yesterday traffic was a complete dissaster?

I know every lobby group that is Farang has no credibility here. Is there anyway to get the Thais to agree and effect change?

Thanks in advance :o

misterme

I read your post, and I agree, trying to find a place to park, or wanting to go South on Beach rd. in a Tuk-Tuk is ridiculous. And are there enough Tuk Tuks?

I actually had a Tuk Driver ask me if I wanted a tuk tuk, said no, and the idiot standing just next to him asked me the same thing. I'd really like to have one of those shirts you see, but Tuk Tuks can't speak English nor can they read it. All they can say is F_ckOff or Hey, UwanTooktook?

I have the perfect solution for all of you that face this miserable catastrophy everyday. Move to Thailand.

Patong is about as Thai as I am. There will be no solution to this traffic scheme. It will only get worse. The more tourists come, the worse it will get. And the more farangs that move there, the more complaints you will hear. There is only one solution.

I have another solution for the absolute mess that is Patong, but most of you can't swim. Get out while you still can.

The real shame is that most posts complaining about Phuket come from Patong, or so it seems. It isn't home, it is a fantasy. Those that call it home are mixed up in the fantasy. Move to Thailand.

Sorry, in advance, but get real and Face facts. Thailand begins where Patong ends.

The original concept of the town one way system assumed that the 'by pass' road would have been completed. This was supposed to be a dual carriageway serving Jungceylon from both ends of Patong. That would really have helped, and prevented the conjestion of folks trying to get to Junceylon from Rat-u-tit.

But hey, look what we got, a bumpy dirt track, and even the tarmac end is now all chewed up as it was built on the cheap. And the construction along that road is unbelievable.

I used to shop regularily at the Deli, but now I don't as it means driving all the way along the beach road, and turn back into Rat-u-tit/500 year road (what is it with these 2 name roads?). And then it's almost impossible to park the car, even in the mornings. At least Jungceylon has a large car park, but it's interesting to see that it's half empty most of the time.

I totally agree with you about the one way system in Patong.

But my heart go's out to the tourists on foot, trying to cross the roads in Patong, its a nightmare and using the crossings are even a bigger one. I have yet to see a car stopping to let the pedestrians cross on one. As you are aware that in the UK flashing your lights lets people know that you are giving them the right of way , driving or on foot. So spare a thought for the holiday maker standing at the crossing waiting to cross the road in Patong and along comes a Thai boy racer who flashes his lights to warn the pedestrian that he is coming, and the pedestrian thinks thanks for letting me cross the road and ends up in a hospital somewhere on island . Why bother wasting time painting these crossings in the first place, cars never stop to let people cross the road anyway. The same go's for the ones in Phuket town or the ones allover Thailand.

Logical post, but aint ever gonna happen. It's as if the local admin, so loathes the falangs they want to see them run down. I've given up hoping for common sense from the local admin. This place is a lost cause and worrying about it serves no purpose. The local officials do understand basic accident prevention but just don't care. No one in a position of authority cares unless he or she can make a baht from it and that's the reality. They'll only care once the foreign tourists stop coming. While Patong was much quieter this year than last year, it's not enough to kick anyone into action.

Safety:

Business affects.

Answers / Solutions:

Thanks in advance :D

misterme

Turned right off the Beach onto the right side of the road, had resident friends with me, scared them, they thought they where back in the colonies :o:D

I voted with my feet - I now never go to Patong and yet I live on Phuket Island - I haven't been now for over 2 years and if I never go again it will be too soon !!! The whole town is a disaster from the tuk-tuks through to the tailors and scam artists what used to be a beautiful fishing village is now an eye-sore and very user unfriendly place.

Needless to say I advise all friends and acquaitances to avoid it like the plague.

what used to be a beautiful fishing village is now an eye-sore and very user unfriendly place.

Needless to say I advise all friends and acquaitances to avoid it like the plague.

Patong hasn't been a fishing village in over 30 years. You must have been here a long time. Fishing is a hard way to make a living. I doubt the local people would want to go back to what you consider the good old days.

Patong is a great place to visit for a night out, but, I wouldn't want to live there.

what used to be a beautiful fishing village is now an eye-sore and very user unfriendly place.

Patong hasn't been a fishing village in over 30 years. You must have been here a long time. Fishing is a hard way to make a living. I doubt the local people would want to go back to what you consider the good old days.

Patong is a great place to visit for a night out, but, I wouldn't want to live there.

I won't even go for a night out, the place is a complete sh*thole, no regulation, no commonsense, just a dump to seperate tourists from their cash asap.

Fancy falling for an 'amzing Thailand ad and ending up in Patong, omg!

I won't even go for a night out, the place is a complete sh*thole, no regulation, no commonsense, just a dump to seperate tourists from their cash asap.

Fancy falling for an 'amzing Thailand ad and ending up in Patong, omg!

I totally agree.

4 years ago on my 1st visit to Thailand I stayed in BKK and Patong.

Second trip I fitted in Pattaya, wotta hole, ripoff place.

My Nephew lives in Chalong, kiwi with business.

My fave place now is Chalong, quiet, lotsa genuine people.

Bars are not flash, but people make a bar, not fittings.

My visits are usually 2 - 3 a year, of 2 months with flitting to other places from HKT, lots betta than Swampypool. Air Asia fan is me.

Chalong suits me, not overladen with whinging tourists.

I hire a scooter as required to get around.

"COME ON BAR ", my watering hole.

The one-way system will be re-routed once the road behind Jungceylon is completed -- whenever that may be.

Whether one way or two way traffic I loathe the town with a vengence and IMHO it's Scam City .

For a night out I would recommend Nai Yang, Nai Thon, Bang Tao, Surin, Kamala, Kata, Karon, Nai Harn, Rawai, Chalong and Phuket Town but never Patong.

That is just my opinion, and no doubt there are many like Sir Burr who partake of it's nightlife, that is your choice and you are welcome to it - viva la difference.

I am not against the one way system.Anybody who has been to Waikiki will

know Kalakaua Avenue, which runs along the waterfront is one

way.

KuioAvenue is one block back and is one way, opposite to

Kalakaua.

Works well, far more traffic than Lil Ole Pattong.

Get with it, Pattong needs a similar system, a circle road if ya like.

The oneway system is only in operation because of Jung Ceylon. Anyone who tells you otherwise is dreaming.

It is in place so all traffic in Patong must pass Jung Ceylon. You cannot turn left out of Bangla anymore for this reason.

This was bought and paid for and the inconvenience of others comes second.

Not a single Thai I know likes this, they hate it as much as anyone else does.

Somebody has made a good earn on this, pity it wasn't me.

I thought everybody knew this already, after all this is Thailand