Nursery In Ao Nang Krabi

Tinkerbelle84

Hi everyone,

I have had a successful day nursery in the uk for 5 years, and am a qualified Nursery nurse, qualified to teach children upto the age of 4.

We recently moved to Ao Nang and I am looking into opening a small nursery in the area, as there is an increasing number of expats and thais in the area who require quality childcare.

I have a couple of questions

1) what opening hours would you expect?

2) opening days per week?

3) price you would expect to pay per day or week?

thank you for your help and any comments

xxx

Edited by Tinkerbelle84

I might be wrong, but I thought it was a requirement for one of the owners of any school in Thailand to have a masters degree.

Assuming you would intend to work in the nursery you would also need a work permit, which I believe requires a certain number of Thais to be working in the business, as well as a certain amount of capital.

I might be wrong, but I thought it was a requirement for one of the owners of any school in Thailand to have a masters degree.

Assuming you would intend to work in the nursery you would also need a work permit, which I believe requires a certain number of Thais to be working in the business, as well as a certain amount of capital.

I don't know about the masters but I do know that the requirements are different for limited partnerships than for companies.

Regardless, OP is not asking for WP advice, I am sure she is perfectly capable of finding a decent lawyer that can guide her through the intricacies of Thai working permits and laws regarding companies, limited partnerships etc.

Instead, although I don't have kids, my husband's many gazillion relatives do, as well as our staff. So, I can perhaps help answer those questions as they would pertain to Thai people.

1. Opening hours: by 8 am. Many Thai people work or run their own businesses and since this is the usual time they drop the kids off at school, this would be a good time to start taking kids. For some people, they would need the kids only there part of the day, some longer. I think you should shape your hours to the needs of your clients and price it accordingly. But close by 3:30pm.

2. Opening days per week: well again, most Thai people work, so I would do it the same as schools, 5 days a week if you can handle it.

3. Price: now this would depend on what you offer. A local private nursery here charges 4000 baht a month, 5 days a week, 8am -3:30pm. My staff thinks its expensive and out of their budget, so obviously you would have to cater to people with money and would then have to offer something special.

I am in Ao Nang and know a number of expat girls with babies who would like to use to reliable nursery service for casual care at least.

The only problem is most of us don't have a lot of money to spare and often wold need care to allow us time to earn our own money by teaching which pays very little around here (about 300-400B per hour). Therefore if the hourly rates were too high it would not be cost effective to use such a service.

I have solved the problem for myself by hiring some home help by the month which works out very cheaply if you think how much you have to pay per day/hour and she can do some light housework and shopping as well.

Also, I think you should know that I have heard from a reliable source that there is a local Thai guy who has rented space in Ao Nang already to open the same sort of facility for babies and kids from 6 months upwards. He will have qualified Thai nurses as carers, so it may be difficult to compete once he is up and running.

But that is not to say your idea may not work - it's just like every business here there is always heaps of competition and unfortunately, price rather than quality, is often the deciding factor.

If you would like to know more about your potential market around here, you can send me a personal email.