Speak the language

palace1

If you don't fall for the first girl you meet in a bar try this;

Travel and take accomodation 'home stay' . You learn the language very quickly and live and eat with your hosts. On many occasions I shared long evenings with my host families, drinking and laughing together for hours and hours on occasions making friends and possible future partners. I didn't persue the latter as I had recently come out of a relationship but it is surely the best way to make friends.

Has anyone else had any of these experiences they can share?

Travel and take accomodation 'home stay' . You learn the language very quickly and live and eat with your hosts.

I think it's a terrific idea, and would love to do it. Have to get permission from my Thai BF first, though!

I was first here as an exchange student for a year living with a thai family in a small village. I can say that for sure, the more thai you learn the more your opinions and impressions about Thailand itself change. You find out a lot of what you thought you knew you didn't know at all. I can also say for sure that your chances of having a real relationship greatly increase as you learn more and more of the language.

great idea, I have 3 months per year off from work, where can I get more info on homestay. I live and work in Bkk

There's a Thai guy in Chiang Mai just started his own operaation, he also runs a teaching school. Sorry I can't remember his name. He may be advertised in The Chiang Mai magazine. I think he charges 200bhat per day. The locals get 150bhat and he takes 50B for commission. I did consider it but am now in the UK. A funny thing is that a lot of divorced women wanted to advertise and were requiring men only !!!!!! he sussed they were after a husband and warned them off I think !

Good luck and go for it , its great fun...oh yeh food included aswell.