Cost Of Land Filling Up 2008

nickynomates

Cost of land filling 2008 Buriram.

To clear 2.5 rai of land and fill to an even depth of 50cm then made level.

Total cost 121,000 baht.

This may not be relevant for everyone but it's the way we did our land fill.

I read up a lot on Thai visa which I have to say was a good help and gave a lot of information. I have learnt a lot by doing this.

The land purchased was very over grown with a lot of trees. We made a rough measurements where we could get to the posts set and calculated that it was 2 rai.

We spoke too many of the people around the area and the general opinion was that it was good piece of land and had never flooded. Two joining pieces of land pumped water from a reservoir below that ground and we were told that it should be the case to do so on our land in the future.

We decided that we would fill up 50 cm which would come level with the land on one side that had some houses already on them. The general opinion was that this showed good respect as to have come higher could cause them problems in the future.

A good recommendation was made of a local family to do the land fill as they had a lot of experience and contact was made. They came to have a look and we advised that we wanted a price to fill the land complete and not by per truck load.

An estimate of around 70,000 – 80,000 dependant on diesel cost at the time of work was given to fill the land to a level of 50cm all over and we advised that we would want to remove some of the trees.

Later on that day we went to their house to confirm we wanted the work doing. I was impressed to see a very good quality large digger and truck which gave me all the confidence I needed that these were the right people for the job.

Work was planned for the Christmas period and they advised that they would measure out the land at this time prior to starting, to ensure all was correct.

In fairness we postponed start up on the land fill twice, I wanted to be on site and my working commitment gave me some problems, on the second occasion we postponed I gave 10,000 baht as a show of good faith that we were committed to doing this work , for this I was give a receipt and we gave a final date of January 3rd for start up.

In the mean time we had a change of plan in that many of the trees on the land were old and we decided to remove all but 2 trees to give ourselves a fresh start and be able to plan and plant later on as we wanted to.

Two very important points here before you start.

New laws state that you must obtain a licence to carry out any land fill. This is very easy and the usual identity documents are required, you can get the correct form at the local council office it can be obtained in the same day. Basically and simply you cant go higher than any road a joining the land.

The second point was that the land had a spirit house on it. One of the elders from the village was brought it to make peace as we would be cutting down trees and having to remove the spirit house form the land. Incense and whiskey were given to the sprits and prayers said. One promise we made was that we would put a new spirit house back the land soon and that it would be better than the old one.

Day 1

On the morning that the work was due the men turned up at 8.00 with the boss, a lot of talking and head shaking was done was done much of which I could not fully understand.

A path way was cut and the land measured it turned out to be bigger than the area we first thought and was worked out to be exactly 2.5 rai. We pointed out all the trees we wanted now to be removed and a lot more talking and shaking of heads took place.

We now had to re negotiate.

Cost to fill up 2.5 rai 50cm all over would be 95,000 baht I thought that to be fair based on what had been given to 2 rai.

I had not anticipated the next part or taken it into account.

As we wanted all the land now clearing they would have to make a lot of extra work and transport to dump the tree stumps and small branches. The cost for clearing the whole of the land prior to land fill would be 20,000 baht. I was advised that a cutting team would be needed as it was now a lot of work in cutting up the trees.

The problem was getting a cutting team for that day a motorcycle was despatched and a guy came. He looked at what was needed a lot more talking and shaking of heads took place and asked for 6,000 baht for all the cutting and that it would be done in one day.

The cutter then asked for 2000 baht for fuel. Ok it was short notice.

I was now a little anxious that the work would ever get underway.

Total price for all work 121,000 baht.

The land measured 80 meters in length by 50 meters in width.

Total square meters 4000.

1 rai of land is equal to 1600 square meters

4000square meters divided by 1600 square meters equals 2.5 ria

So we had 4000 sm to fill to a depth of 50cm this equated to 2000 cubic meters of soil required to do the job.

2000 cubic meters divided by 121,000 baht equates to 60.5 baht a square meter.

This was a lot higher than first estimated but the land was bigger and we wanted more trees clearing.

OK we agreed let's get started.

It's now 9.30 am and the team disappeared for breakfast.

On return at 10.00 the cutter came back with 3 guys and 2 chainsaws and 2 bags full of bottles of beer and Thai whiskey. I was informed that this was to give to the clearing team, for there help to the cutters.

The digger, tractor and truck arrived and they all got to work.

They worked very hard and digging out roots pushing the trees over with the digger and then cutting them up. All the roots and small branches were trucked away and the trunks of the wood pushed to the sides, many people wanted the wood and turned up to cart things away, no problem for us we wanted the land cleared.

At the end of the day in early evening we all sat down and had some beers.

Day 2

They started cleaning up the remains at 8.00

On their own they then went around and marked up about 8 points with stakes and spray painted 50mm I was told that it helped the tractor driver know what to level too.

At 10.00 the first truck full of earth arrived.

I was impressed that it was a very full load and I estimated the truck to have delivered 6 to 7 cubic meters. They used 6 trucks and on day one they delivered 80 loads.

After about the first 20 loads were delivered the tractor stared to flatten out.

One guy stayed on site the whole time and showed each truck where to dump and gave each truck driver a ticket. We provided cool cola throughout the day for all to drink when they wanted.

Day 3

Much the same again work started at 7.00 and carried on until the early evening another 100 truck loads all filled very high and heavy. On talking to the boss he said that if it was being done and paid by the truck load they would not fill so high. Good soil is becoming harder to get hold much of the soil used to come free from farmers wanting to level off rice land each year. A dual problem is now being felt in that many people want to fill up land and grow rubber trees. This land is then never levelled afterwards. We were told that this soil was being payed for but I do not know that price.

The land is about three quarters filled after day 3 and looking good.

Day 4

Work once again starts at 7.00 and they work through until late afternoon another 95 trucks and all finished.

Throughout the work the boss visited several times to make sure all was going fine.

The job is finished and we go to the family house to settle the bill 121.000 baht less the 10,000 deposit and we even got a receipt.

It now remains to be seen how the land settles after rainy season

I was very happy with the work done and believe it was fair all around. I hope that this gives some one some help.

Edited by nickynomates

It sounds like you you got a fair deal and everyone was happy. That goes a long way for good relations with your neighbors and the locals. I had much the same experience 7 years ago with 2.5 rai on Koh Chang. The problems then were two-fold...no avalable fill material and no trucks to deliver it :D

We had to schedule the project 6 months in advance and it was like planning a major military campain haha.

85% of the island is a national park and the government only opens up excavation sites a few times a year. The rest of the time the dirt has to be brought from the mainland which make it some of the most expensive stuff on the planet :D

We got lucky when one of the big developers had a problem with a land title and backed out of about 800 truck loads of dirt and sold us his contract at a reasonable price. We used about 550 trucks for our land and then had to fight off the dirt-hungry mobs that wanted the rest :D

The only problem we had was keeping the elevation level all the way back to the klong at the rear of the property. That last part took about 30 additional truckloads but we got those at 50% discount so the boss wouldn't lose face :o

When the weeds start growing through after the next rainy season you'll need to eradicate them with extreme prejudice or it will look like a jungle :D

• 2 years later...
It sounds like you you got a fair deal and everyone was happy. That goes a long way for good relations with your neighbors and the locals. I had much the same experience 7 years ago with 2.5 rai on Koh Chang. The problems then were two-fold...no avalable fill material and no trucks to deliver it :D

We had to schedule the project 6 months in advance and it was like planning a major military campain haha.

85% of the island is a national park and the government only opens up excavation sites a few times a year. The rest of the time the dirt has to be brought from the mainland which make it some of the most expensive stuff on the planet :D

We got lucky when one of the big developers had a problem with a land title and backed out of about 800 truck loads of dirt and sold us his contract at a reasonable price. We used about 550 trucks for our land and then had to fight off the dirt-hungry mobs that wanted the rest :D

The only problem we had was keeping the elevation level all the way back to the klong at the rear of the property. That last part took about 30 additional truckloads but we got those at 50% discount so the boss wouldn't lose face :)

When the weeds start growing through after the next rainy season you'll need to eradicate them with extreme prejudice or it will look like a jungle :D

I just had 1/3 rai dug out to a depth of 1 meter and back filled with 'hin' for 70,000฿. Is this reasonable? I thought it was.

The only problem we had was keeping the elevation level all the way back to the klong at the rear of the property. That last part took about 30 additional truckloads but we got those at 50% discount so the boss wouldn't lose face :)

I just had 1/3 rai dug out to a depth of 1 meter and back filled with 'hin' for 70,000฿. Is this reasonable? I thought it was.

Was that roughly 70-80 truckloads Large truck with 13 cubic meters?

That is what we pay for about 80 loads 13 cubic meters each load. But truckloads will vary in each location & then there is what the negotiated price is. Bang Saray area

• 2 weeks later...

That is what we pay for about 80 loads 13 cubic meters each load. But truckloads will vary in each location & then there is what the negotiated price is. Bang Saray area

Sorry, Got it wrong. 1 rai.

She said 257 truckloads. Don't know how big the trucks were. Nong Bua.

I guess the wife got a good deal.

Sorry, Got it wrong. 1 rai.

She said 257 truckloads. Don't know how big the trucks were. Nong Bua.

I guess the wife got a good deal.

Last month I was quoted 90,000 baht to raise 1 1/2 rai by 1 metre.

Was told it was 250 baht per load for black earth.

This was in Pak Thong Chai just outside of Korat.

Hope this is of some use to those who live in the area, it least you can use it to compare what you may be quoted.