The Next Newcastle Manager.

Jockstar

Just been reading that Souness would take it if offered. Cant see it happening myself. But rather that clutter the Alardyce thread. We can post rumours, paper talk etc in here. I did post this in the other thread. But will post it again here.

Souness would return to Toon 'in a heartbeat'

Former Newcastle boss Graeme Souness admits he would return to St James' Park 'in a heartbeat'.

Harry Redknapp yesterday turned down the role following Sam Allardyce's exit - and Newcastle have been told by Portsmouth they will be wasting their time making any more bids for the 60-year-old.

But Souness, who endured a difficult spell from 2004-06 as Magpies boss under Freddy Shepherd, admitted he would be happy to return to Tyneside under new owner Mike Ashley and chairman Chris Mort.

Asked on Sky Sports 1 if he would be interested in going back, Souness said: 'With [there now being] a different chairman, most certainly.'

When pressed on whether he would take the job if it was offered to him, he added: 'In a heartbeat. It is a big club, one of the big clubs out there.

'It has got the potential to be one of the best. But it's not a quick fix, and whoever goes in there is going to need certainly a minimum of three or four years.'

Newcastle spent vast sums on transfers during Souness' tenure - including the signing of Michael Owen from Real Madrid - but the Scot refuted the suggestion he was fully backed by then-chairman Shepherd.

'I would argue that point because at the end of the day my first choice was (Nicolas) Anelka and (Luis) Boa Morte.

'I was told, when I spoke to the people in Turkey, when Anelka was for sale at that time, that he could be bought. But I was told he wasn't for sale and couldn't be bought.

'So instead of us spending the £12million there, we bought Albert Luque for £10million and Michael Owen for £16million.'

Asked whether those were his decisions, Souness said: 'No. I was told Albert Luque would cost £2million.'

Redknapp yesterday decided to stay at Fratton Park, where chief executive Peter Storrie says he has 'a job for life'.

Speaking on Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme, Storrie said: 'Harry has made it perfectly clear he has made his decision - he wants to stay at Portsmouth.

'That is the end of the matter. He has made it plain it is not about money so Newcastle can continue to offer him what they like.

'We only allowed Harry to have a conversation with them as it brought the matter to a head.

'It is a disruptive time for anyone to have done this in the middle of the transfer window.

'I can understand why Newcastle wanted him as he is one of the best managers in the Premier League.

'But Harry knows he has a job here for as long as he wants it. He can see there is the potential to go forward.'

Former Newcastle owner and chairman Sir John Hall, meanwhile, rates former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier ahead of Redknapp.

Hall said: 'I am pleased that Harry has dropped out.

'None of the fans I have spoken to were behind him. They did not feel he was any better than Sam.

'I have a high regard for Gerard Houllier and he could do a job at Newcastle. He did well at Lyon.'

But Hall poured cold water on a potential partnership between two Geordie icons Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer.

'Alan is the most dedicated professional I have ever met,' he said.

'He will probably be a tremendous manager but I do not think he would be prepared to come in yet.

'Kevin has maybe had his time in football and is now doing other things.'

Hall is confident owner Ashley and chairman Mort can turn things around.

Former Bolton boss Allardyce was already in place when they arrived and Hall said: 'I have a certain sympathy for Mike Ashley and Chris Mort.

'Ashley and his team are dedicated to the club. He has just come into the game and it takes time to get into the passion of the club.

'However I cannot understand the timing of Allardyce's departure. I would have let him stay until the end of the season.

'The players let Allardyce down. The displays have been abysmal - probably some of the worst I have seen in 20 years.'

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes has now been installed as bookmakers' favourite for the Newcastle job.

But ahead of his side's match against Bolton, the former Wales manager told Sky Sports 1: 'All this speculation has been going on for quite some time, but my focus today is obviously on getting a result for Blackburn Rovers, as it always is.

'I don't really want to be talking about speculation that has nothing to do with me. It's a case of getting the lads focused and that's what we're trying to do.'

Looks like Mark Hughes doesn't want it.

Hughes hints at Rovers stay

Mark Hughes insists there has been no contact from Newcastle and that there is still work to be done at Blackburn.

The former Wales boss would seem to be in pole position after Harry Redknapp rejected the chance of succeeding Sam Allardyce.

Hughes, however, appears to be content with the environment at Ewood Park and the progress the club is making under his stewardship.

Blackburn edged closer to a European place with a 2-1 victory against Bolton at the Reebok Stadium following a late winner from substitute Jason Roberts.

Hughes said: 'I have support from the chairman (John Williams) and the board. That is something you do not give up lightly.

'The fact is I have continuity here and a good situation. Things are in place and I am very conscious of that.

'All I am trying to do is my job to the best of my ability with the help of my staff.

'I am not into self-promotion but speculation has surrounded me in the past.

'But I am still Blackburn manager and have a job to do here.

'In football you need time and I have been given that. I am proud to be manager of this club.'

Hughes saw his side storm storm back after going behind to a superb strike from Kevin Nolan in the 43rd minute.

Christopher Samba headed home to equalise 10 minutes later and Roberts put the seal on a fine performance by scoring the winner by muscling his way through.

Roberts handed in a transfer request before Christmas as he was fed up at being a bit-part player.

That was rejected by Hughes and he insists the former Wigan striker still has a future at the club.

Hughes said: 'He has been really frustrated with a lack of opportunities but you've got to bide your time.

'At times you have to get your head down and work in training, get fit and then ask questions of the manager - he's certainly given me food for thought.

'He knows there's a part to play here, he knows we're not trying to force him out.

'We want him to stay and we've said that in no uncertain terms.'

Bolton are still in danger of relegation and manager Gary Megson conceded his side had been below par.

He said: 'Blackburn's equaliser was not acceptable at any level, never mind Premier League level.

'But we then struggled to handle Jason's pace and power when he was introduced.

'We ran out of steam and the way we defended was a disappointment. We should have done better.'

Shearer and Hughes head Newcastle job list

Tyneside hero Alan Shearer and Blackburn manager Mark Hughes remain among the front-runners as Newcastle continue their search for a new manager.

Record goalscorer Shearer yesterday had his cause trumpeted by Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp - who rejected the Magpies on Saturday - while Hughes refused to categorically rule out a move.

Shearer has been linked with a return to St James' Park in partnership with former boss Kevin Keegan but with the club still reeling from top choice Redknapp's snub, there appears no clear front-runner.

Shearer, who retired at the end of the 2005-06 season, is thought to have been out of the country and has not commented since Sam Allardyce left the post last week.

'I'd give Alan Shearer the job. I think he's perfect for it,' said Redknapp after his side's 2-0 defeat at Sunderland yesterday.

'Experience doesn't matter because he understands football.

'He's different class and he's going right to the top. There's no reason Alan Shearer can't do that as well.

'He'd set the place alight and the fans would love him. You could bring a couple of experienced people in alongside him and it wouldn't be a problem for him.

'Because of what he means to the place and what the fans think of him and what a player he's been, he'd be absolutely perfect. I wouldn't want to see any further than Alan Shearer.'

Hughes watched his Blackburn side snatch a dramatic 2-1 win at Bolton courtesy of a late Jason Roberts goal yesterday and then insisted his focus remains on Rovers.

Despite repeated questioning, however, Hughes did not say he would not leave Blackburn for Newcastle - a route taken by his Rovers predecessor Graeme Souness.

'I have support from the chairman (John Williams) and the board,' Hughes said. 'That is something you do not give up lightly.

'The fact is I have continuity here and a good situation. Things are in place and I am very conscious of that.

'All I am trying to do is my job to the best of my ability with the help of my staff.

'I am not into self-promotion but speculation has surrounded me in the past.

'It is recognition for the work myself, the players and the staff are doing here and that is all we view it as.'

How about this guy?

I give you Joseph Blair (No relation of Tony).

post-31474-1200323241_thumb.jpg

The manager of Jossy's Giants would be perfect, and he also owns a sports shop, so he'd get on well with the chairman.

In fact there's a very similar story between the two.

http://www.jossysgiants.org/

Edited by mrtoad

Keegan fuels Magpies speculation

Former Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan has refused to rule himself out of the running to become the new Magpies boss.

The 56-year-old, who quit his last job as Manchester City boss in March 2005, told BBC Sport in October that he was unlikely to manage a team again.

But following Sam Allardyce's exit last week, he has been linked with a return to the club he managed from 1992-97.

He told Sky Sports News: "I'm not ruling myself out or in. It's a club I love, everyone knows that."

Former England coach Keegan is currently running his "Soccer Circus" in Glasgow and has been linked with a return to management alongside fellow Newcastle legend Alan Shearer.

He was also linked with a return to the club last summer as director of football following Mike Ashley's takeover.

But Keegan ruled out that possibility and has since been coaching youngsters in Scotland.

When asked if he would manage again he said in October: "I don't think it will happen. I think my life has gone in a different direction.

"You never know, I mean I do get offers to go back into football, but I made a decision that I would come and do something different with my life."

Keegan took the Magpies to within four points of their first title in nearly 70 years in 1996, when they finished runners-up to Manchester United.

How about this guy?

The manager of Jossy's Giants would be perfect, and he also owns a sports shop, so he'd get on well with the chairman.

He could probably do a better job than Souness. :o

That's a given. :D

How about this guy?

He could probably do a better job than Souness. :o

That's a given. :D

And McClown :D

Houllier? Got to be a good choice.IMHO

Houllier gets Newcastle go-ahead

Gerard Houllier has been given the green light to succeed Sam Allardyce as Newcastle United manager.

The former Liverpool boss, who is currently the French Football Federation's technical director, has emerged as one of the frontrunners for the vacancy at St James' Park in recent days.

His current employers have confirmed they will not deny him the opportunity to take the job if offered it.

FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalette told the Daily Express: 'I would not stand in Gerard's way if there was something else he wanted to do. I am not surprised he gets offers.

'He turned one or two down to rejoin us and they were better financially than we could offer him.'

Why no mention of Mourinho? He's normally linked with every vacancy even when the club still has a manager, so why nothing this time round?

Living life in Portugal, or Newcastle, Portugal, Newcastle, Portugal, Newcastle, Portugal, Newcastle, Portugal, Newcastle,

Mmmm, no brainer, even the media don't think for minute that "The Chosen One" would entertain living up there :D

Rochdale is about as far North as Jose would be tempted to come :o

Why no mention of Mourinho? He's normally linked with every vacancy even when the club still has a manager, so why nothing this time round?

Simple, Mourinhio is a football manager, not a ringmaster. Newcastle is a circus, so he's pretty unlikely to stake his reputation on that place.

Newcastle open to foreign manager

LONDON, Jan 15 (Reuters) - Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort said on Tuesday that only candidates who could speak English would be considered for the vacant manager's job at St James' Park.

In what amounted to a job description for Sam Allardyce's replacement, Mort also said the new man must be capable of getting the team playing stylish football.

'There have been suggestions that we would only appoint a British manager,' Mort said in a statement.

'That is not true. However, we think this is a big enough job without the manager having to operate through an interpreter, so the manager will have to be someone who is able to speak English.'

England's new manager, Italian Fabio Capello, has used an interpreter at his news conferences.

Allardyce lasted less than eight months in the job and was criticised for his style of football. Mort said he was determined to find a man who fulfils all the criteria.

'We appreciate we will have defeats and losing runs along the way but if the team is not trying to play football 'on the carpet' as Bobby Robson recently described it, they will always struggle to win over the followers of Newcastle United.'

Alan Shearer, the club's record goalscorer, is the fans' favourite to take the job, according to a poll in The Times newspaper.

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho and Blackburn Rovers manager Mark Hughes have also been linked to the post.

Mort said whoever took the job would have to be able to cope with the pressure and expectation of the fans.

'We need someone willing and able to take on and cope with Newcastle United.

'This is a big club with massive potential, it's a fabulous club to manage,' he said.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp turned down the chance to move to Newcastle last week.

"I'd love it, really love it" to see Keegan back at Newcastle............if only to see him crack when Fergie has a dig again :o

Jossy's Giants :D .....rolling back the years there Toady mate :D

"I'd love it, really love it" to see Keegan back at Newcastle............if only to see him crack when Fergie has a dig again :o

Yeah, showing my age there. :D

Yeah, showing my age there. :D

Me too mate, sadly enough, I remember it like it was yesterday :D

'Newcastle don't want me as boss, yet' - Shearer

Alan Shearer has revealed Newcastle do not want him as their next manager.

Fans' favourite Shearer wants to help revive his boyhood idols in any way he can and is willing to work with whoever is appointed as Sam Allardyce's successor.

Despite having no coaching experience, Shearer believes he could do the top job.

But the club have made it clear they are seeking an seasoned campaigner and have told the former England captain he does not fit the bill yet.

Shearer told the Sun: 'A couple of days after Sam Allardyce got the sack, I got a call from the club to say they were looking for an experienced manager, which ruled me out.

'What I can say is that if you want someone to galvanise the dressing room, get them organised and playing then, yes, I think I could do that.

'If they want that and someone with experience then I'm not that man.

'If they had asked me to meet the chairman to talk about this job, I would have done it.'

On the prospect of working under the club's new boss, Shearer added: 'People have talked about me being a number two under an experienced manager.

'But if they are after an experienced manager, which they are, he will no doubt want his own man.

'All I would say is that if someone comes in and wants to talk to me, I would be willing to help in any way I can.'

Shearer believes experience is not everything and cited Kevin Keegan as Newcastle's most successful boss in recent times.

Like Shearer, Keegan had no managerial experience before taking over at St James' Park, while a series of more seasoned successors have failed in the hotseat.

A Keegan-Shearer double act is the fans' preferred choice to make up the next coaching team and Shearer hailed the man who signed him for a world record £15million in 1996 as 'a special person with great charisma'.

Since retiring from playing 18 months ago, Shearer has worked as a television pundit but has always been viewed as a Newcastle manager in waiting.

His shadow looms large over St James' Park and Allardyce struggled to escape it during his ill-fated eight months in charge.

However, Shearer denied he had done anything to undermine the former Bolton boss and insisted he was not given enough time in the role.

As for Allardyce's successor, Shearer said it needed to be someone capable of achieving a top-six position and challenging for trophies.

The name of Didier Deschamps was thrust firmly into the picture last night after he described the prospect of managing Newcastle as 'an exciting challenge'.

'I have had no official approach from Newcastle but I am flattered to be linked with such speculation,' France's 1998 World Cup-winning captain told The Daily Telegraph.

'It would be an exciting challenge. Newcastle are a big club.'

The 39-year-old has been out or work since leaving Juventus in May and yesterday saw his odds of becoming the new Newcastle boss slashed to 2-1.

Deschamps spent a season in English football with Chelsea in 1999-2000, helping the club win the FA Cup.

His first job as manager saw him lead Monaco to the 2004 Champions League final before leading Juve to promotion from Serie B after their demotion for match-fixing.

Former Liverpool and Lyon boss Gerard Houllier is also believed to be in the frame.

However, the French Football Federation's technical director may be out of the running after his boss said he was confident Houllier would stay in his current job.

Premier League - Newcastle appoint Keegan

Eurosport - Wed, 16 Jan 16:44:00 2008

Newcastle United have appointed Kevin Keegan as manager for the second time.

207586176.jpg

More Stories

The 56-year-old was a wildly popular figure during his first stint between 1992 and 1997, taking Newcastle to the brink of the Premier League title and earning himself the nickname "Geordie Messiah".

Club legend Alan Shearer is now expected to be named as assistant manager, having been brought to Tyneside by Keegan for a British record transfer fee in 1996.

Keegan's Newcastle were famed for their brand of attacking football, but famously blew a 12-point lead to surrender the 1995/96 title to Manchester United.

However, the appointment will be greeted rapturously by fans who grew tired of Sam Allardyce's direct and often turgid style.

It brings to an end an extraordinary managerless period for the club. Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp rejected a job offer, prompting a host of figures - including Mark Hughes, Alan Shearer and Didier Deschamps - to be linked with St James's Park.

The move will bring instant credibility to club owner Mike Ashley and chairman Chris Mort, who came under fire for the seemingly chaotic way they went about finding Allardyce's successor.

Keegan went on to manage Fulham and then England, but after a dismal performance at Euro 2000 and a home defeat to Germany in World Cup qualifying he quit live on television.

He has been out of management since 2005 when he left Manchester City after four seasons

Premier League - Newcastle appoint Keegan

Eurosport - Wed, 16 Jan 16:44:00 2008

Newcastle United have appointed Kevin Keegan as manager for the second time.

207586176.jpg

More Stories

The 56-year-old was a wildly popular figure during his first stint between 1992 and 1997, taking Newcastle to the brink of the Premier League title and earning himself the nickname "Geordie Messiah".

Club legend Alan Shearer is now expected to be named as assistant manager, having been brought to Tyneside by Keegan for a British record transfer fee in 1996.

Keegan's Newcastle were famed for their brand of attacking football, but famously blew a 12-point lead to surrender the 1995/96 title to Manchester United.

However, the appointment will be greeted rapturously by fans who grew tired of Sam Allardyce's direct and often turgid style.

It brings to an end an extraordinary managerless period for the club. Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp rejected a job offer, prompting a host of figures - including Mark Hughes, Alan Shearer and Didier Deschamps - to be linked with St James's Park.

The move will bring instant credibility to club owner Mike Ashley and chairman Chris Mort, who came under fire for the seemingly chaotic way they went about finding Allardyce's successor.

Keegan went on to manage Fulham and then England, but after a dismal performance at Euro 2000 and a home defeat to Germany in World Cup qualifying he quit live on television.

He has been out of management since 2005 when he left Manchester City after four seasons

Love it! :o I can almost hear those Sun and Mirror hacks whooping for joy from here!