Looking For Japan Motorcycle Importer In Cm

jaideeguy

Not sure if any of these specifically import from Japan - maybe just import from Bkk...

But this is what I have found so far.

a) Burning Bikes - mostly Yamaha SR-400's, and a few Clubmans

b ) don't know if he imports - but knowledgeable, nice, and speaks english - has a Ducat there

c) expensive shop - nice bikes

d) Bike House - I think he imports - has a variety of big bikes - not expensive

e) really nice shop - nice guy - speaks english - knows his stuff - some fancy big bikes

f) a chopper place

g) nice bikes including Triumph and Ducati... expensive

post-55564-1200474242_thumb.jpg

Edited by wjmark

I offer for your consideration the fact that I once learned, from sources I considered reliable, that most if not all of the motorcycles brought in from Japan as parts and reassembled here for sale on an unregistered basis began life as motorcycles owned by people in Japan, from whom they were then stolen in order to be shipped and sold overseas.

No reassemble importers here to my knowledge.

The local shops that sell assorted gray market bikes get them from the same place you mentioned- the big warehouse operations in Klong Tuey, Bangkok.

As Rass mentioned, there is a certain...ahem...ethical issue with these bikes.

No plates, costs a small fortune to get a green book, and you might have a problem should you want to take the bike out of the country (Laos, Malaysia, etc.).

And in the rare event that the BIB does an enforcement sweep, you might find the bike confiscated.

Not worth the hassle, IMHO....

The big bike shops in Chiang Mai get their bikes from the importers in Bangkok / Klong Toey.

I dont think you will find any cheap "value for money" unassembled bikes in Chiang Mai, unless you know the system & think you can outsmart it - which is sort of what you are asking for.

I disagree that that most of the bikes are stolen. That they are "all" stolen is more of an urban myth, that the reality of the situation.

So your best bet locally is to get a good deal from one of the local Cnx big bike shops, & there are a few shops.

But without knowing what you are looking for & what your budget is, it is difficult to advise you.

Last but not least I think that you will find the importers in Pattaya, only buy from from the real importers in Klong Toey = they don't import into Pattaya.

A real licence plate will cost you 60,000 baht & take at least 3 months, & a dodgy recycled book will cost you 35,000 baht + take 2 weeks plus.

The choice is yours - depends on whom you want to believe I guess.

Location (d) on that big map, Bike House, is hard to find. Go north of the outside moat corner near Central/Kad San Kaew, and when the first 7-11 is on your left, turn right down that narrow soi that leads to the public swimming pool. At the jog in the road, turn right, and it's a block further back toward the moat at the next corner. I've only noticed it at night (when I wasn't going to the swimming pool! :o), and the bikes looked like big choppers.

Thanks for the leads....i'll check them out. as for the bikes being stolen in Japan...i rather doubt that many are because i spoke to an importer down south and he goes over to Japan and chases down classifieds and auctions to purchase and we know that the Japanese live in a disposable society and constantly upgrade their cars and motorcycles etc. that's why there is so much Jap surplus all over asia.

w/o papers-license is no big problem as i live outside CM and will seldom go into town....know the local cops and have a truck for town trips.

I would consider the bigger market in bkk and patt, but would rather pay a little more and get local support and avoid agony of the big city.

FYI....the bike that i'm dreaming about is a Honda FTR 230cc, seen a few up here and one for sale at more than twice what it is worth at 75kbaht...i'll pay up to 50k, depending on condition.

Try this google Earth Map.

244292704-M.jpg

The shop is in either Chang Puak Soi 2 or 4, depending on which map you're looking at, but it's all the same soi.

This is the one"behind" Pacific Mansion; or heading North down Chotana turn left into the soi after Kowit School / before the Bangkok Bank.

244290847-S.jpg

244290864-S.jpg

244290845-S.jpg

And actuallyTui at Bikes House claims to import direct himself. He also has a website, but I cant find the URL.

Edited by davidgtr

I took one of them Honda 230's for a test drive a few months ago.

The small shop had a few - around 55k bt plus they had some other similar bikes - no plates.

It was on either Phra Pokklao rd or Ratchaphakhinae rd, somewhere north of Ratchadamnoen rd on the west side, in the middle of the block somewhere.

I also rented a Yamaha Trailways 225 on Koh Tao for a week. Pretty much the same thing.

Great bikes, but a little tall for me - I want my feet flat on the ground when I stop - both feet...

Lots of torque and power - not a great high end. Comfortable and very forgiving on ruts, rocks, small animals...

Also, personally, I don't like such a fat front tire - makes the bike feel awkward and clumsy to me.

But great bikes.

The expensive shop near the airport (X-c on the map) has a Husquavarna version of this bike - looks fantastic (too tall and for sure too expensive) for me! And they also have a BMW 650 similar bike...

===

I would say that 80% of the Thais on the road that I have asked about their bikes have been more than ready to sell them!

Another good place I found today is a (big) bike shop on Assadat Road (off north-eastern section of the moat road, it's not marked on wjmans map for some reason though).

Just go over the canal bit, past the second-hand market for biker jackets and pants, over the crossroads and it's on your left (opposite the car dealership).

This place is full of imports and about a quarter are fully legit. The rest are import paperwork only, however they claim to be able to register the bike *after* you buy it.

It's also a good place to get aftermarket parts like exhausts done too.

Another good place I found today is a (big) bike shop on Assadat Road (off north-eastern section of the moat road, it's not marked on wjmans map for some reason though).

I forgot!

It is close to where it says 'Consulate' on the legend of the map I posted...

I think it was the owners son I talked to - young guy - great english

Told me a lot about legit and 'grey' bikes.

wjmark

Hey, thanks for your input...especially wjmark, you seem to know mostly what I'm looking for, but I'm surprised that you found the honda FTR too tall. That was the reason that I was shopping for that model, as i'm not too tall myself [5'7"] and the specs say that the seat height is only 30". Maybe the shocks were adjusted to tall? it looks much shorter than the off road hondas and it looks like a low center of gravity. I guess it is just personal taste, but I do like the looks of that bike.

There is another bike that appeals to me [on paper]......it's the yahama tricker, 250cc stunt bike that is said to be a hybred of a bmx bicycle with 250cc 4 stroke motor mounted between your legs. Seen any of those? little more baht than the FTR, but looks short and stable, which is what i want in a bike.

Will try to make it out this weekend or next week if family lets me out.

The place WJmark and jimsknight are talking about is named Piston Shop. The younger gent is named Nat. A real personable fellow that as posted, speaks fantastic english. Done business with him a few times and he always came through.

Ordering bikes in CNX is possible from a few outlets as described. One not mentioned is G3, the owner is Tum. Speaks good english and friends have ordered bikes through him before. Gets them from Bangkok. He has even had a few FTR's at his shop before. Shop is located on the city side of the bridge (forget the name but the one south of Narawat) about 100 meters on the north side of the road. Big bikes parked outside.

I'm 5'5" and I can flat foot the FTR no problem. Nice little bike around town and such, lots of low end. Not really a bike for longer distances though.

Good luck.

FTB, The shop you mention...is it near the bridge [north?] side of the narawat bridge, near the us consulate? not the small one way bridge south of narawat? I have seen a collection of big bikes on the road north of narawat [that goes to doi saket if you were to cross the bridge] and assume that you got north/south mixed up???

Glad to hear that the FTR fit you and am not too concerned about long trips......i now use 4 wheels for long trips and just want a safe comfortable ride around my neighborhood in the suburbs of CM and don't want a sissy step thru with small wheels after hitting a small dog at 70k and did a summersalt and ended up in hospital.

thanks for your feedback

Not as short as i thought I was!

Went to that shop that has the FTR 223's (It is just north of Ratchadamnoen rd on Phra Pokklao rd on the west side).

Yes I can flat-foot them, but it was the other thing about them that I don't like (same for the Yamaha TW)'s - I don't like the big fat front tire. A clumsy soft heavy feeling - not great at any real speed. But will certainly take on any stray animals in the way!!!

He has two there right now. Also a Yamaha Sereow (sp?) which might suit you too.

There is a place on Faham that has some nice trail/road bikes - Took a Honda CRX 250 for test there a while ago.Such a nice handling bike that I didn't care that my toes could barely touch the ground! But 130,000bt no plate...

I will post an updated map in a bit

(Searched the Tricker - amazing looking bike - but really tiny. Really tiny...)

Edited by wjmark

Here is the address of the shop I mentioned named G3 in my above post...

G3 BIKE SHOP

98/2 Taiwang Rd. T Chang Moi. Chiang Mai. Tel: 053-233600. 09-2621334.

As others have chimed in about...when enquiring about bikes in the LOS, best resource is www.gt-rider.com

The CRF-X is quite a nice bike, however one with a finicky valve train and top end.

Best of luck.