Moving Some Household Items

Hey, if anybody's got any suggestions on how to find this particular service It'd be a HUGE help.

I need to move:

1 suitcase

1 box

1 bicycle

2 small tables

4 chairs

From Pak Kret (20 minutes north of Chatuchak) to a storage facility in Khet Suan Luang (not so far from Khlong Toey BTS station).

Ideally if I could hire a guy with a pick up truck for say an hour and a half at the MOST I'd be good to go. Even an SUV or a Van, I don't really care, but I'm trying to keep the cost below 2000THB. I can load and unload the stuff myself it's just a matter of getting it from A to B. I got a quote from a moving company and it was 4500, which seems like a lot considering the small amount of goods and the small amount of time required.

Anybody got any ideas? I suppose I could start randomly making offers to sawng tao drivers.... :o Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Hey, if anybody's got any suggestions on how to find this particular service It'd be a HUGE help.

I need to move:

1 suitcase

1 box

1 bicycle

2 small tables

4 chairs

From Pak Kret (20 minutes north of Chatuchak) to a storage facility in Khet Suan Luang (not so far from Khlong Toey BTS station).

Ideally if I could hire a guy with a pick up truck for say an hour and a half at the MOST I'd be good to go. Even an SUV or a Van, I don't really care, but I'm trying to keep the cost below 2000THB. I can load and unload the stuff myself it's just a matter of getting it from A to B. I got a quote from a moving company and it was 4500, which seems like a lot considering the small amount of goods and the small amount of time required.

Anybody got any ideas? I suppose I could start randomly making offers to sawng tao drivers.... :o Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Unless you speak Thai I think you need a Thai friend to help with this, there are loads of pickups parked on roadsides near malls/stores with a board showing for hire with phone number to call. I think you can do this for a few hundred baht not thousands.

I can probably communicate my needs in Thai at least basically, I can have a friend stick close to the phone in case further elaboration is needed :o . Makes sense about the delivery guys at the malls, there's a Carrefour and HomePro near here, I could check there for willing parties.

What's a "baht bus"?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I can probably communicate my needs in Thai at least basically, I can have a friend stick close to the phone in case further elaboration is needed :o . Makes sense about the delivery guys at the malls, there's a Carrefour and HomePro near here, I could check there for willing parties.

What's a "baht bus"?

Thanks for your thoughts!

A baht bus is a passenger pickup running Moobaans and Sois

Try to get to Carrefour or Homepro etc.

Go to your local motorcycle queue. Take 4 guys and give them each 100 baht. Show them your stuff. Tell them to get it moved and you will pay 400 baht for the truck. At the far end, get 4 more motorcycle guys to help you unload.

Total cost 1200 baht and you won't have to lift a finger. The motorcycle guys will be happy to get 100 baht for less than an hours work and you'll get your stuff moved. They will know where to get a pickup.

If you can't find a motorcycle queue, I suggest a visit to your local optometrist is in order.

I've moved several times. Always use this method. Works out great. If you can't fit all your stuff and it needs to go into a 6 wheel truck instead of a pickup, the cost of the truck may be slightly higher.

In my case I've accumulated so much junk I now need several 6 wheel trucks. :o

The motorcycle taxi boys will know someone with a pickup truck and more than likely one of them will speak some English. As mentioned above,that's an easiest way.

I did this is Singapore. Local papers, classified sections have "Man with a Van" type adverts. If you have a local English newspaper they may have the same.