Rent In Bangkok Per Month

RueFang

Does anyone who lives in Bangkok pay less than 5000 baht per month for a room/apartment? If so what kind of place is it? Which area? Is there hot water? It just seems to me that everyone on this forum pays between 10-50 grand a month for their abode?

hmm, tried to do a poll, but didn't work!

Edited by RueFang

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stayed with GF in a room that was about 24 sq meters for 2400 baht a month several years ago. It had no hot water but did have air con and balcony. I installed on demand hot water unit for her without any problems. It was located off Sukhumvit Soi 93 on one of the small sub soi's. She still lived their until several months ago when she moved to house out by new airport.

I for one did not like staying in such a small place because it leaves no place to sit except the bed. Could not take it after a couple months and had to bail.

Currently live in a place that is 40 sq meters and its perfect for me and cost 9k baht. Plenty of room for king bed, sofa and desk. I have been here for 3 years because close to fresh market, Lotus, Carrefour and most of all 300 meters from BTS. I travel 100-150 days a year outside Thailand so more expensive is waste of money for me and this place fits all my needs.

Hi there. The reason you think everybody pays loads of money for their apartments/condos on this forum is because many of those who post like to boost their ego by pretending they have some mega-expat deal and live in a swanky pad.

I however am proud of being a cheapskate. They've just put my rent up to 4500 ฿. With bills and internet, I pay around 6000 ฿ a month.

The place you really want to check out is Miami Mansions on Phetburi Soi 43/1. This city centre location is "the" place for the under 5000 brigade.

If you can't handle the cool of Miami, then check out Ratchavithi Sois 1,3,5,7 etc. There are still some under 5000 places there.

The reason you think everybody pays loads of money for their apartments/condos on this forum is because many of those who post like to boost their ego by pretending they have some mega-expat deal and live in a swanky pad

I am not one of them but I know a lot of guys on here are on your "pretended" mega-expat deal. So some are paying 200k a month rental and very nice pads they are too. Good luck to them its always nice to see a expat doing well in BKK and working hard for it.

Huge expat deals are not a myth or neither "Pretend" - Just because u don't meet them for example in the offshore with the other grumpy old men or where u hang out does not mean they do not exist. :o

Edited by dekka007

If you live outside the city centre there are loads of places but it means you have to take the use cabs to get into town or the bus. I pay 135 baht to take a cab from home to Siam Sq or 12 baht on the bus. THe house next door to me with 2 bedrooms and a decent sized garden is up for rent at 5,000 pcm and you can get a studio 2 minutes walk from the market and bus station for 1,800.

As I don't go out in the city more than once a week living in the burbs suits me. I have a large office to work in and all the space I need for pennies.

However if I were not self employed but on a mega expat deal I would probably live smack in the centre!!!!!!!

Thanks for your replies. It's great to know that not everyone is living the high life in super suave apartments!

Brigsy with your bills is that just the electricity and water (plus net)? I will check out those areas, thanks.

sfokevin - thanks for the link, will check out some of those areas too, if indeed I end up moving up there!

Cheers all :o !

I'm living in Victory Monument, not far from Century "the movie plaza" :. SkyTrain. it is 7,300 per month with a gated enterance (with sleepy security guard) but it would be less if I was staying here longtime! (6,700 6 months+) with water and electricity last months was 8,000. had the air con on because of the computer. checked out a newly built apartment just a stones throw from my current and that is 5,500 + water and electricity so shop around. :o

Brigsy with your bills is that just the electricity and water (plus net)? I will check out those areas, thanks.

Rent 4500

Water 100

Electricity 609

Building Charge 300

Internet 490

Total 5999

That was my November bill which is representative of an average month.

That's the area we are thinking about so it's good to know there are cheap ones there. How big is your place (approx). That's ridiculously cheap for long term!!

Thanks B for the list.

Edited by RueFang

Does anyone who lives in Bangkok pay less than 5000 baht per month for a room/apartment? If so what kind of place is it? Which area? Is there hot water? It just seems to me that everyone on this forum pays between 10-50 grand a month for their abode?

hmm, tried to do a poll, but didn't work!

Seriously there are a lot of places around Bangkok for rent at 5000 baht or under, some with hot water.

If you have a car then don't waste too much time looking on the internet, instead take a drive around and you'll soon see there is a lot more to offer.

What area do you want to live? :o I know from my own experience of looking around there are apartments on Ramkhamheang, Lad prao, sukhumvit, onnut for about 5000B a month, but maybe you're looking for somewhere else?

oh and I don't pay a lot for my place, just under 10K bath a month (inc electric, water, internet/cable) for 60sqm condo. deep into a soi with connection to onnut or sukhumvit. Just right for me: seperate bedroom, kitchen, living room, peace and quite, a nice view, guarded gates and away from the main road. Like I say, you just have to look around.

If I do end up moving there, I would like to be no more than 20-30 minutes (in peak hour) from Sathorn Rd. Was thinking near Vic Monument but only because I know that area.

Cboy, sounds like you have a nice deal! Peace and quiet and a view :o

I think for most people it is not so important what street you are living in. The important thing is to have easy access to bts/mrt. If you don´t have easy access you probably will get lazy and mostly staying you area.

Trust me I have been walking around alot always hunting for the ultimate place to stay (a hobby of mine :o ). I would say it is worth to spend the 5000 instead of living in a "non easy access place" for 3-4000. It will save you some money but foremost time. I don´t know who you are or what you like but I would prefer victory monument instead of, let say, pinklao even if you would find a cheaper more nice room there.

When I first arrived here I stayed in Soi Wat Makok (reportedly a dangerous area; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97586). I paid 3800 it was clean, gated, cameras, 2mb internet was 480/month. I must say I liked it there. Inspite of what have been reported I felt very welcomed there. The motodrivers always gave me discount, invited me to their homes for party and watching soccer ect.

To get a room for 5000 that is clean, with security, and internet is not so hard. The trick is to look around because 5000room can be a crappy one or a quite nice one.

In the areas beside the Sathorn Road a lot quite cheap Appartments but Townhouses as well! If you work at Sathorn Area I would look there inside the smaller Roads and Sois.

I stayed in Silom for a month the pad cost 30k per month and dont get me wrong it was nice. Internet was in and tv. Electric was expensive. I have since been in a apartment in Ladproa that cost just over 4k with True, Internet and it is very clean and suits me for the time being and has manned security as well as cctv. Minum stay is 6 months though. Not to far from the Malls etc

I pay 2500 for a place 5 mins from Pra Khanong Station all in all it cost me 3k including water and electric, oky i only have cold water and on a cold morning it is a tad cold but i have a big nice room with a balcony about half the size of the room, i got it when i was planning on moving back to blighty for a bit and wanted somewhere for the missus to be able to afford while i was gone, as it happens i found a job so didnt need to go back, but to be honest its just as good as some of the places i have paid 10k for and for once i have found a pad where they dont rip me off with my electric(one month i was charged 87 baht)

Here's a thought to those who so proudly live in 30 sqm meter one room apartments with no hot water etc - did you live like that back in the old country?

I find it rather strange that anyone would willingly come to a third world country and opt to live in third world conditions. Surely one of the major advantages of being here is that we can have the same or much better standards of living for considerably less outlay?

Or am I missing the point here?

Here's a thought to those who so proudly live in 30 sqm meter one room apartments with no hot water etc - did you live like that back in the old country?

I think a lot of people did / do live like that in UK.

It would personally drive me up the wall.

Cheers

I hardly think its 3rd world conditions living in a 30 sqm room with a big balcony, something that would cost you well over 1500 back in London, its a tad different living here than it is back in the Uk, for one thing you would hopefully think that you've finally come out of your own ass, clearly something you haven't learnt yet!!

I hardly think its 3rd world conditions living in a 30 sqm room with a big balcony, something that would cost you well over 1500 back in London, its a tad different living here than it is back in the Uk, for one thing you would hopefully think that you've finally come out of your own ass, clearly something you haven't learnt yet!!

With respect, living in a 30 sqm room with no hot water is as close to being on skid row as you can get. No hot water? How on earth do you shower?

The world industrialised 230 years ago. As a result, many nations became relatively rich and their citizens got to enjoy the benefits of living in multi-room homes with hot and cold running water, plumbing, sanitation etc.

I'm assuming you once lived in a home with hot water, so I'll repeat my question. Why does it feel so good to be going backwards?

Noone is going to convince me that living in a room barely bigger than a prison cell with no hot water is a sign that a person's life is heading in the right direction .. . .

Edited by bendix

Perhaps people want to spend their money on other things (unfortunately that is probably beer and girls for the majority). I have just upgraded from a studio 5000 baht room up to a 13000 baht one bedroom unit, its much more homely and money well spent I think.

With respect, living in a 30 sqm room with no hot water is as close to being on skid row as you can get. No hot water? How on earth do you shower?

haha that's funny! I've been living without hot water for nearly 3 years and funnily enough it's still possible to have a shower with room temperature water. To equate hot water with your life moving forwards is an interesting concept. No need to get narky with people because they don't require the same level of comfort that you do. Each to their own.

Noone is going to convince me that living in a room barely bigger than a prison cell with no hot water is a sign that a person's life is heading in the right direction .. . .

Barely bigger? The average prison cell (single person occupancy) is about 6 m2 so a 30 m2 living room is huge in comparison.

You probably stayed in a multi occupancy cell and they're a bit bigger :o

Almost every single 5000 baht studio I've seen already has hot water. If it doesn't, it's easy enough to fix after a quick trip to Tesco where you can buy a heater for 2000 baht. I'd be perfectly happy living without one though, if I rented a place without one I wouldn't bother to have one installed.

The world industrialised 230 years ago. As a result, many nations became relatively rich and their citizens got to enjoy the benefits of living in multi-room homes with hot and cold running water, plumbing, sanitation etc.

I'm assuming you once lived in a home with hot water, so I'll repeat my question. Why does it feel so good to be going backwards?

Bendixmate come on have a word... Stop seeing the fact that a living in a 30sqm room is going backwards, im a thinkin in your head a 5k room is just a complete crap hole, in some cases that is true but not in all, the fact that the rooms have cold water is nothing to do with taking a step back in fact it's just the opposite, as far as your beef with cold water goes well why not 90% of thai's shower in cold water so why if a western person is doing it then is it a step back..and sanitation..ha ha..no you have got me there everybody who rents a place under 10k has to cr@p in the bucket they provide!!!

There is also 1 small point you are missing in all this is that people who work over here don't get paid the same as they do in UK or USA or wherever so therefore the extra money saved from living in a more than adequate 30sqm room is more money to do other things with..

God bless ya if you ever have to go out of the city and see real Thailand, you wont be able to buy your hand cream their..

Hi there. The reason you think everybody pays loads of money for their apartments/condos on this forum is because many of those who post like to boost their ego by pretending they have some mega-expat deal and live in a swanky pad.

If you are correct this will be very disconcerting to the sponsors and sales team here on TV, however, its true I have only met very few TV members but they seem to be financially OK and not destitute.